+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Overseas After Applying Citizenship

Finaldestination

Star Member
May 12, 2019
Hello I am completing my eligible days to apply for Citizenship next month and I have a better Job opportunity in a different country, I am thinking of applying for the citizenship and take up that for a year or so, save some money and then come back permanently however I have a question If anyone has been in that situation and If I do that does it effect my citizenship process.
Any input/advise is welcome

thnx

Ese2014

Mar 11, 2018
Calgary
App. Filed.......
20-07-2018
AOR Received.
20-07-2018
IELTS Request
24-03-2018
Med's Done....
13-07-2018
No it doesn't.

I did something similar. Left the country 3 weeks after submitting my application. I left for a professional training for a year, to return to Canada permanently after the training.

I've been scheduled for oath at the end of this month.

Timeline from AOR to Oath is 7 months for me.

UKVAN

Sep 26, 2022
Hello I am completing my eligible days to apply for Citizenship next month and I have a better Job opportunity in a different country, I am thinking of applying for the citizenship and take up that for a year or so, save some money and then come back permanently however I have a question If anyone has been in that situation and If I do that does it effect my citizenship process.
Any input/advise is welcome

thnx
Definitely doesn't. I left 2 days after eligibility for a job offer, all has been approved now and am just waiting for the oath date email. I was honest, told them I was abroad, and it didn't hold my application up either.

Reactions: Finaldestination

NAAJ

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2014
Doc's Request.
29-12-2014
Med's Request
13-01-2015
Med's Done....
25-01-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-01-2015
Definitely doesn't. I left 2 days after eligibility for a job offer, all has been approved now and am just waiting for the oath date email. I was honest, told them I was abroad, and it didn't hold my application up either.
Did you tell IRCC about your job offer during an interview, or web form?

Finaldestination

Star Member
May 12, 2019
No it doesn't.

I did something similar. Left the country 3 weeks after submitting my application. I left for a professional training for a year, to return to Canada permanently after the training.

I've been scheduled for oath at the end of this month.

Timeline from AOR to Oath is 7 months for me.
Thank you for your input and Congratulations on Oath Ceremony, Just one question, Did you inform IRCC that you were away during the process?

UKVAN

Sep 26, 2022
Did you tell IRCC about your job offer during an interview, or web form?
I didn't, but did once I was asked. I didn't leave till after I had applied, so it only was needed when they were scheduling the test (which you can do abroad).

UKVAN

Sep 26, 2022
Thank you for your input and Congratulations on Oath Ceremony, Just one question, Did you inform IRCC that you were away during the process?
I did. I informed them when they scheduled the test. I changed my Canadian address to one of a friend. When I had my interview (also on Zoom), the agent said this wasn't a problem, it was only an issue for the oath. He did grill me on what I would do if I was scheduled in, say, 3 days. I said I would fly back, even though that would suck as it would be expensive, as this means a lot to me. He said that's all very well, and he will approve my application and put me for the next available oath ceremony.

Sadly I am with Vancouver, so it's even 4 weeks now and still don't have a date.

Finaldestination

Star Member
May 12, 2019
I did. I informed them when they scheduled the test. I changed my Canadian address to one of a friend. When I had my interview (also on Zoom), the agent said this wasn't a problem, it was only an issue for the oath. He did grill me on what I would do if I was scheduled in, say, 3 days. I said I would fly back, even though that would suck as it would be expensive, as this means a lot to me. He said that's all very well, and he will approve my application and put me for the next available oath ceremony.

Sadly I am with Vancouver, so it's even 4 weeks now and still don't have a date.
I can totally understand your situation and can imagine myself too in the same boat in coming 8-10 months, but I am sure this all would be worth it once you get your passport issued, I just have one question I have lived in Canada for 1095 days start from 2020-2023 and my 5 years period starts and end from 2020-2025, that means I have fulfilled the obligation within first 3 years (for PR and Citizenship) right ?, please correct me If I am wrong

Ese2014

Mar 11, 2018
Calgary
App. Filed.......
20-07-2018
AOR Received.
20-07-2018
IELTS Request
24-03-2018
Med's Done....
13-07-2018
No, I did not.

However, when I was invited to take the test, I replied that I was away, did not give any reason.

They acknowledged the email and let me take test outside Canada.

Ese2014

Mar 11, 2018
Calgary
App. Filed.......
20-07-2018
AOR Received.
20-07-2018
IELTS Request
24-03-2018
Med's Done....
13-07-2018

You will get a date soon, hopefully. They might be looking at an in-person for you.

Ese2014

Mar 11, 2018
Calgary
App. Filed.......
20-07-2018
AOR Received.
20-07-2018
IELTS Request
24-03-2018
Med's Done....
13-07-2018
I can totally understand your situation and can imagine myself too in the same boat in coming 8-10 months, but I am sure this all would be worth it once you get your passport issued, I just have one question I have lived in Canada for 1095 days start from 2020-2023 and my 5 years period starts and end from 2020-2025, that means I have fulfilled the obligation within first 3 years (for PR and Citizenship) right ?, please correct me If I am wrong
You're correct. Please add a day or two more before you apply.

Mine was 1098 I think. Just to avoid any over zealous agent.

Reactions: Finaldestination

UKVAN

Sep 26, 2022
Generally speaking my understanding is that anything outside of PR is counted as a half day, which is then capped at 365 days (so if you did two years on a working holiday visa you would only get 1 year in citizenship days). PR is counted as full days. So you either need 3 years on PR or 2 years on PR and 2 years on another visa, e.g. working holiday visa.

So in your case you've been PR for 2 years and 1year not PR right? Depends on what that 1 year was, but if it wasn't a visa that counted as a full day., then you're half a year short?

Finaldestination

Star Member
May 12, 2019
Generally speaking my understanding is that anything outside of PR is counted as a half day, which is then capped at 365 days (so if you did two years on a working holiday visa you would only get 1 year in citizenship days). PR is counted as full days. So you either need 3 years on PR or 2 years on PR and 2 years on another visa, e.g. working holiday visa.

So in your case you've been PR for 2 years and 1year not PR right? Depends on what that 1 year was, but if it wasn't a visa that counted as a full day., then you're half a year short?
Thank you UKVAN, but I am PR since 2020 and living in canada since then.