+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WORK OUTSIDE CANADA

PR516

Aug 28, 2012
Hi Gents: I'm a PR since over a year now and physically inside Canada. The company I was working for in Canada for the past 6 months has closed however their headquarters, which is outside Canada, has offered me a job outside Canada on rotational basis. I did my calculation and found out that if I took this offer, I might not satisfy the residency obligation to apply for Canadian citizenship or possibly struggle to renew my PR.
Now this Job is my career and I like it. Before I came to Canada I used to work in this domain and by turning down this offer, I won't be able to support my family/expenses besides I have to find a job again. Finding a job in my field might take time & expenses can't wait you know.

I want to know if there is any solution which allows me to work outside, pay my Canadian taxes as I was since I came and still have my work time outside Canada counts as I'm inside - given that my family and kids will not travel with me outside as they have school and life here in Canada. I checked CIC website and found some info about this subject which do permit working abroad but only for a Canadian company or the Canadian government etc.. Any suggestions please? I was thinking about opening some kind of virtual company in here or perhaps finding some Canadian agents who could sponsor that, will that work? Do you know any such agents I can contact in Alberta? Hope to hear an answer soon.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The rules prevent you from keeping your PR by using a company you have started yourself just for that purpose. If you want to stay outside Canada more than 60% of the time, you will not be able to keep your PR. However, if your wife and children stay in Canada, they would keep their PR and your wife would be able to sponsor you again if you lose yours at some point.

PR516

Aug 28, 2012
Thanks - it looks like I have to make a difficult decision - pretty much complicated - I wish there was an option as most of oil related work often requires travelling overseas.