+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work or get married first???

scottinus

Aug 17, 2008
Hello all!

I am hoping someone can give me just for basic answers to a couple of questions. I have just become engaged to a Canadian Citizen living in Toronto. I live and work in the US and she in Toronto obviously. We are going to live in Canada and would like to do everything as fast a possible.

My questions are:

1) Would it be better for me to try and get a job in Toronto first then get married and change my status?

2) If I wait to look for work until after we are married and then move to Toronto how long would it take until I was eligible to work?

3) Can I travel to and from the US if we get married in Toronto and I am living there waiting for permanent residence status?

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck to all

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
1) you cant get a job without a SIN# and you cant get one of those without being a Perm Res or having a work visa, that said you would need to apply for skilled worker or get a work permit, which you need a job offer from a canadian employer( very hard to get)

2) if you marry first i would suggest filing outland application, its faster and you can appeal if its denied, you can come visit ur wife while outland application is in process, but you can not work until its approved and you land.

3) yes you can come and go on outland application, but each time you cross the border theres a risk of them not allowing you to come back etc.

do a search of the forums and you will get lots of details on what i told you here.

hope this helps a little

scottinus

Aug 17, 2008
thanks tamee that is very helpful in getting started.

Maybe it would be better to get legally married ASAP. Then we can start the paperwork and hopefully it would all be approved in 6 to 9 months around the time we would like to have the cermony and have me move there at that time?

does that make sense to anyone?

thanks again

Anatolia

Star Member
Aug 1, 2008
Be aware that you will have to PROVE your relationship with your lady. Pictures of wedding (even if it is in a civil ceremony), emails, photos of trips, etc.... There is lot of info on your situation here in the forums. LOTS! Good luck.

scottinus

Aug 17, 2008
thanks for you thoughts....

we have already been on 4 trips with plenty of pictures and emails besides everyday stuff.

just ideally want to move there and be able to work right away after the wedding and trying to figure out the best way to accomplish that.