+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

work offer first or work visa first?

Dec 9, 2023
Hello. I am from Philippines and wishing to apply as skilled worker for Canada. I was recently granted a Tourist visa and visited Canada last month. Shall I apply for work first and have job offer as skilled worker or I may need to obtain work visa first?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello. I am from Philippines and wishing to apply as skilled worker for Canada. I was recently granted a Tourist visa and visited Canada last month. Shall I apply for work first and have job offer as skilled worker or I may need to obtain work visa first?
You are not eligible for a work permit. You must first have a job offer with an approved LMIA from your employer. The employer files and pays for a LMIA proving no Canadian or PR has the experience or education to do the job, only you. Once you have a LMIA with job offer, you can apply for a closed work permit. Depending on the job you may need ECA and IELTS.

Dec 9, 2023
You are not eligible for a work permit. You must first have a job offer with an approved LMIA from your employer. The employer files for a LMIA proving no Canadian or PR has the experience or education to do the job, only you. Once you have a LMIA with job offer, you can apply for a closed work permit.
Thanks for the clarification. Im now back to Philippines from vacation in Canada. so I can proceed on applying online and be interviewed and have job offer before having any form of work visa processing?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for the clarification. Im now back to Philippines from vacation in Canada. so I can proceed on applying online and be interviewed and have job offer before having any form of work visa processing?
Sure you can apply. Most jobs will say only apply if authorized to work in Canada. A job offer doesn’t allow you to apply for a work permit. Your employer needs an approved LMIA proving they couldn’t hire a Canadian or PR, only you.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Canada is not like the UAE. A tourist visa is highly improbable to be converted to working status.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
You only get a job if they cannot find a permanent resident or Canadian who can do it. What line of business are you in?