+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work in Canada while studying in USA

andrew_100

Oct 12, 2012
Hi All,

Had a quick question, but not sure how simple the answer is. I am currently studying in the USA on an F1 Visa doing my Masters. I recently received a job offer in Canada and plan to move there in December 2012. I also have a Canadian work Visa. My questions are:

Since I will not graduate until August 2013, can I continue my studies in the US while working and living in Canada? I have finished all my coursework and can do my research remotely as all I need is my laptop. I plan to visit the US once every 2-3 months, so I won't be breaking the 'maximum 5 months outside the US' rule for F1 Visa holders. I can also provide a US mailing address for my University needs as I have some relatives there.

Secondly, since I wont have any income in the US, will I need to file taxes for both US and Canada. I have read that F1 students in the US are required to file taxes even if they don't have any income in the country. Is this correct?

I plan to move permanently to Canada after my studies. So don't want to lose this Job opportunity. Appreciate any suggestions you have. Thanks.

Keweenoy

Oct 12, 2012
Hi Andrew,

The answer is simple which would you like to do first, study in US? or work in Canada?

You have to know which is more important to you, choose one only to make to make your life simple...

Hope this helps