Work from Canada remotely for US employer

GeekSync

Star Member
Jun 17, 2018
Can I get a work permit if

• My employer does not have a branch in Canada
  • I do not have a PR
  • I want to work remotely on US employer payroll

Is there anything that will enable my US employer set up a virtual branch just so that it can apply for my work permit?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Why do you need to work from Canada at all ? If you qualify for any sort of permit then who you work for is sort of irrelevant. The things you list would be critical if you were only a visitor to Canada so how would you be expecting to get any sort of work permit given usually that implies a Canadian employer.

Reactions: Bryanna

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Can I get a work permit if

• My employer does not have a branch in Canada
  • I do not have a PR
  • I want to work remotely on US employer payroll

Is there anything that will enable my US employer set up a virtual branch just so that it can apply for my work permit?
Almost certainly not. I believe that they would have to set up a full Canadian subsidiary company to employ you and put you on Canadian payroll.

If your USA company has absolutely no Canadian clients or interactions with Canada, you may not need a work permit but then you can only be a "visitor" to Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanna

GeekSync

Star Member
Jun 17, 2018
Almost certainly not. I believe that they would have to set up a full Canadian subsidiary company to employ you and put you on Canadian payroll.

If your USA company has absolutely no Canadian clients or interactions with Canada, you may not need a work permit but then you can only be a "visitor" to Canada.
We don't have any Canada clients.
So if I apply for Visitor visa, would I be able to live in Canada and work remotely for US employer? Are visitors allowed to rent home, buy car etc ? How long can visitors stay? I just have to stay outside US for 1 year before my immigration situation works out for US.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
We don't have any Canada clients.
So if I apply for Visitor visa, would I be able to live in Canada and work remotely for US employer? Are visitors allowed to rent home, buy car etc ? How long can visitors stay? I just have to stay outside US for 1 year before my immigration situation works out for US.
You will be allowed to stay as a visitor for a maximum of 6 months. If you wish to stay longer, you will need to formally apply to extend your visa.
6 months is a default maximum but you may be given a lesser period of time when you are interviewed at the port of entry.
You cannot "live" in Canada. You can only "visit". You can rent. Not sure about a car however. No medical coverage.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Also, how my US employer can pay me ?
That's between you and the employer... Check, wire transfer, cash in a paper bag... It's up to you. Don't forget to account for the tax liabilities.