+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work exprience obtained under study permit not work permit

pedi_sarvi

Sep 6, 2009
Hi,

If a student has 24 months full-time work experience as a research/teaching assistant under his/her study permit (not work permit), Can s/he apply under the Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) stream? As I have read in the website, for the TFW stream, the applicant should hold a valid temporary resident status (not temporary worker status) during his/her work experience. I guess having a study permit is a valid temporary resident status!

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
pedi_sarvi said:
Hi,

If a student has 24 months full-time work experience as a research/teaching assistant under his/her study permit (not work permit), Can s/he apply under the Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) stream? As I have read in the website, for the TFW stream, the applicant should hold a valid temporary resident status (not temporary worker status) during his/her work experience. I guess having a study permit is a valid temporary resident status!
Depends, if you already had your first degree and obtained work experience during your second degree, then the experience may be used to apply for CEC with your first degree only.

Related work experience must be gained after graduation, not prior.

TkNeo

Dec 7, 2009
helios said:
Depends, if you already had your first degree and obtained work experience during your second degree, then the experience may be used to apply for CEC with your first degree only.

Related work experience must be gained after graduation, not prior.
Can anyone clarify on this. The CEC Who can Qualify website says"
"have gained your experience in Canada with the proper work or study authorization"

which means the first post is correct.

PJones

Jun 17, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2010
pedi_sarvi said:
Hi,

Im in the same boat. I finished my MSc and now im one year into my PhD. Ive been trying to find out exact same information. I talked to a CIC agent today and from what I understood RA/TA (NOC 4122) can count towards work experience, just as long as it's been acquired legally (i.e. study or work permit). Please lemme know if you find out more about it!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I agree that the instructions indicate that you do not need a work permit, only to be residing/working legally.

See the OP 25:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op25-eng.pdf

P. 9:

9.2. Temporary resident status

To be eligible for CEC, the applicant must have had temporary resident status during the period of work which qualifies them for CEC, as well as during any period of full-time studies or training [R87.1(3)(c)

Note: A temporary resident permit (TRP) confers temporary resident status and as such, applicants who obtained their qualifying work experience or post-secondary credentials while in Canada on a TRP are eligible to apply for CEC. These applicants are eligible as long as their work and/or studies were authorized. Applicants who are inadmissible cannot be granted permanent residence as members of the CEC class. Foreign nationals such as refugee claimants in Canada and undocumented workers, whose work experience would be accumulated while they have no temporary resident status in Canada, are not eligible for CEC."

See also p. 18, the pass/fail test.