+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience

Marsess

Apr 6, 2019
Hi!
Last year I moved to Canada with a working holiday visa. I started working for a company as freelance working just for them more than 40 hours per week for 8 months and then they decided to hire me as full time permanent employee. I worked 1 year for them in total (8 months as freelance and then 4 months as full time permanent employee until my visa expired).
Now that I am trying with Express entry, should I divide my experience in two blocks (one as freelance and the other as permanent employee) or put them all together?
Should I name the first one as self-employed? Because I really just worked for them at the company (not remote) like I was one of them.
I also have my letter of employment from the company as one and not divided.

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
It doesn't matter the contract type (permanent position, contract, freelance), what's important is the type of work you were doing (that it was skilled based on the NOC) and the amount of hours your worked as well as the span of time (over 52 weeks or 1 year for 30 hours per week or more).

Of course, you should be able to prove this, with letter of experience, paystubs, T4 forms, etc.

Marsess

Apr 6, 2019
Wolfpmd3 thank you for your reply! I really appreciate it!
Yes, it is skilled based NOC B all my work experience and education. I worked 50 weeks at that company, that would be a problem?
I also worked in canada for another company for 3 days as freelancer in the same NOC and as waitress for 3 months (but this one doesn't match my NOC).
Do you think I should add that as well? Thank you

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Yes, it is skilled based NOC B all my work experience and education. I worked 50 weeks at that company, that would be a problem?
I also worked in canada for another company for 3 days as freelancer in the same NOC and as waitress for 3 months (but this one doesn't match my NOC).
These are IRCC requirements for full time work:

One year of full-time work
  • 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
1 year usually means 52 weeks. They can be continuous or not, and you can have them spread over 1 or more NOCs (as long as all of them are 0,A or B)

If you have 50 weeks that could be bad news since you'd be 2 weeks short.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

Waitress is not a skillled NOC (don´t include).

Freelance is self-employment, and self-employment is specifically excluded as eligible experience under CEC. While you might be able to argue the case that you were in a de facto employer-employee relationship, the unfortunate fact is, you do not meet the 1 year requirement, based on the information provided.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
It doesn't matter the contract type (permanent position, contract, freelance),
Actually, it matters quite a bit. Self-employment is specifically excluded, and freelance is generally considered self-employment.

Marsess

Apr 6, 2019
Sorry, the other job was ice cream counter attendant and it has the NOC 6711. I know it is not A, B or 0. But that is all I have.