+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

work experience

marisha

Apr 17, 2009
hi ,
i read a lot of info about immigration under the CEC but i still cant get one thing:
* apply while working in Canada – or – within one year of leaving your job in Canada
so,if i finish my 2-year study in Canada and got a work permit for only one year shell i apply for residency right after finishing my degree??but it doesnt make sense to me and i guess neither to you..cause to be eligible i have to have 1 year work experience by the time i submit my application..So what shall you do if you have only one-year work permit?and cannot extend it??(because as i got it i can get n-1-year work permit where n is a number of years u studied in canada).
Thanx in advance!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are wrong with the n-1. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp gives you the length of post-grad work permit depending on the time of studies:

less than eight months: you are not eligible for this program
less than two years but more than eight months: you may get a work permit for a period no longer than the length of time you studied (for example, if you studied for nine months, a work permit may be issued for a period of nine months)
two years or more: a work permit may be issued for three years
You many not apply for CEC until you have worked for a year after your studies. This is clear at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp
a foreign graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution with at least one year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada
You can either apply after one year of work while still working in Canada or if you have qualified but are not in Canada anymore, you may apply up to one year after leaving Canada.

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marisha said:
hi ,
i read a lot of info about immigration under the CEC but i still cant get one thing:
* apply while working in Canada – or – within one year of leaving your job in Canada
so,if i finish my 2-year study in Canada and got a work permit for only one year shell i apply for residency right after finishing my degree??but it doesnt make sense to me and i guess neither to you..cause to be eligible i have to have 1 year work experience by the time i submit my application..So what shall you do if you have only one-year work permit?and cannot extend it??(because as i got it i can get n-1-year work permit where n is a number of years u studied in canada).
Thanx in advance!!

actually i read almost all of the details about the canadian experince class and i called the call center here in canada and i have some information that might be useful for you
at firs you have to study aprogram for at leas two years (academice years means at least 16 months) after that you will apply to get the post graduation work permit and they will give it to you exactly same as your period of study but in this case one year will be 12 months in your work permit not 8 monts they told me that in the call center the reasons that might let them give you work permit less than your period of study will be if your passport will be expeired before the two years otherwise you will have exactly the same as your period of study and here you need to realize that if you study for example one year engilsh language as a requirments for the program and one year diploma they will not give you work permit for more than one year because they don't consider the english program for work permit or immigration purposes, the other thing is that you need to realize also that if you study one year english language and one year diploma you will not be eligible to immigrate under the canadian experince class as an international student because they will count it as one year diploma only for you and they will ignore the english languge prgramm even if it was a requirments for your main program because as they state in the website that the engilsh langauge requirments for the program must not be the half or more of your main program(so make sure that you are not in that situation otherwise your application might be uneligible to immigrate under the canadian experince class( so no way that you will get your post graduation work permit for less than your period of study if you make sure not to make any mistakes as i menthioned above)
another thing as an information for you :
the maximum period of the post graduation work permit is 3 years even if you study bachelor degree for 4 years they will give you work permit up to 3 years only not four years

regarding to the piont that you get for example one year post graduation work permit and you want to renew your work permit the situation will be different because you will change your post graduation yourk permit to a another kind of work permit with your employer if he want you to work in his company under his sponsership then he will do the process to get the new work permit for you .

hope that my information are useful for you and good luck

julchen_79

Star Member
Mar 4, 2008
Does anyone know how they count the two years working experience? I have been here since 2005 on different work visa's (first young workers exchange, then work and holiday now work permit under IT LMO exempt category). Do the two years have to be on one consecutive work permit? My last one started in June 2008.

The reason I am wondering is, I have a common law sponsorship ongoing but if I qualify for CEC it might stop that and apply under this category instead as the timelines seem to be much faster!

IF i did withdraw this other application, could I use the same medical and also get all the fees back?

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
in respect to your first question : the two years do not have to be in one consecutive work permit but
Your work experience must be gained within three years of applying and Your work experience must be Skill Type 0, or Skill Level A or B on the NOC (National Occupational Classification) and Full-time work experience means working at least 37.5 paid hours per week

You do not meet the minimum work experience requirement if:

you gained your work experience without the proper status (for example, as an undocumented worker)
your work experience in Canada is not classified as 0, A or B under the NOC list
you do not have at least two years of work experience as a temporary foreign worker

here is the exact answer for your first question : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/immigrate/cec/cec-faq18.asp

check the information here : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/workers.asp

and check this website to find your NOC : http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/Welcome.aspx

for your second question actually i have no idea if you live in canada you may call the calling center to get the right answer

julchen_79 said:
Does anyone know how they count the two years working experience? I have been here since 2005 on different work visa's (first young workers exchange, then work and holiday now work permit under IT LMO exempt category). Do the two years have to be on one consecutive work permit? My last one started in June 2008.

The reason I am wondering is, I have a common law sponsorship ongoing but if I qualify for CEC it might stop that and apply under this category instead as the timelines seem to be much faster!

IF i did withdraw this other application, could I use the same medical and also get all the fees back?

rmin

May 9, 2009
How long does CEC process take? Couldn't find any where on CIC websites regards to its processing time. Is it faster than Skilled Worker category? Also Can i still apply for CEC even if I applied for Provincial Nominee class to buffalo? (my pnp is likely to be returned for missing documents in june) so trying to find out which application process would be faster or can i apply for both?

any help would be greatly appreciated~!!!!