+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience Under FSW Program

Zeeshan.R

Jun 7, 2016
Hello All,

I recently had my ECA done and awarded Masters Degree equivalency in Canada by WES. I am looking to apply through Express entry under FSW program.

I have few questions about work experience.

I never had any full time work experience. I lived in UK for 5 years from September 2010 to January 2016. Its almost 5 and a half years.
My status in the UK was international student throughout my stay in UK for more than 5 years. As we already know that international students are only allowed to work part time (20 hours) a week during study and full time work during vacations and they have to be enrolled in full time studies.

I have 4 years of part time work experience in the UK under NOC 1241 Administrative assistants. If I accumulate the hours of this part time work it would be more than 2 years or 3000 hours in total.

Therefore I have few questions.

1. Does CIC accepts any work experience (part time/full time) while you were enrolled for full time studies? if a candidate apply under FSW program.

2. If they do, would they ask me to provide all the working payslips? Suppose they may ask me the dates about vacations and study period as to when I was allowed to work part time only and when did I work full time during vacations. Will they ask for details if part time or full time work during vacations i was allowed to work full time or not?

I have read it clearly that any work experience gained while enrolled for full time studies is not acceptable under CEC class. But I haven't got any information if it applies the same for FSW candidates.

Please share your honest opinions and also share the source or official web link from CIC website that could satisfy me.

Any logical answers would be highly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Zeeshan.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Zeeshan.R said:
I have 4 years of part time work experience in the UK under NOC 1241 Administrative assistants. If I accumulate the hours of this part time work it would be more than 2 years or 3000 hours in total.

1. Does CIC accepts any work experience (part time/full time) while you were enrolled for full time studies? if a candidate apply under FSW program.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=6

Yes, as long as the experience was 'continuous' and in one NOC, and adds up to the full-time equivalent of at least one year.

However, this can be challenging to document. CIC considers any week in which you work 30 or more hours per week as "full-time" (FT) and less than 30 hours per week as part-time (PT). So if you work PT or a combo of FT and PT hours, you have to keep very good records and be able to document the hours worked per week.

Over 4 years, that's a lot of record-keeping, esp. if you're doing it retroactively.

For example, let's take 2 weeks. One week you work 20 hours (PT) one week you work 40 hours (FT). You cannot simply add them together for a total of 60 hours. If you're counting hours, a full-time week can only count as 30 hours. So your 20 PT hours + 40 FT hours = 50 FTE (full-time equivalent) hours.

Then - you provided a ballpark of 3000 hours total. Let's just assume that's the correct # of FTE hours. The next step is to divide your total hours by 30 to get the FTE # of weeks - 3000/30= 100 weeks. You would meet the requirement of 1 year (52 weeks), not the 2-year mark (104 weeks). So you would only get the points for one year.

As you can see, it matters to be able to count and prove the number of hours you worked. If you can reconstruct that from time sheets, paystubs or tax documents, then you may have a shot.

2. If they do, would they ask me to provide all the working payslips? Suppose they may ask me the dates about vacations and study period as to when I was allowed to work part time only and when did I work full time during vacations. Will they ask for details if part time or full time work during vacations i was allowed to work full time or not?

I have read it clearly that any work experience gained while enrolled for full time studies is not acceptable under CEC class. But I haven't got any information if it applies the same for FSW candidates.

Well, maybe if it is assumed that you studied in Canada. What is excluded is work performed IN CANADA while on a Canadian study permit (regardless of which program - CEC, FSW, FST).

Work performed as a student outside of Canada MAY be accepted, if it meets the requirements (skilled, 1 yr continuous FT / FTE, etc.).

The "law" for the express entry program is the Ministerial Instructions, which you can read here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/mi/express-entry.asp

Zeeshan.R

Jun 7, 2016
Hello,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I will surely go through the link and find out if CIC accepts the part time work experience gained while enrolled for studies.

In this 4 years of part time work experience there were occasions when I worked full time as well. There is total of more than 5700 hours I have worked in my employment but I cannot prove that what time I had vacations and in what time I was enrolled for studies. Obviously when the semester is over an international students are allowed to work full time. This happened throughout my studies in UK and I did full time work many times during a year such as on easter break, summer vacations, semester completion vacations and christmas breaks. But I can't prove when I was off from uni and when I was suppose to go college for studies because I don't remember the dates.

But I can surely provide the tax documents a yearly p60 statements from the tax office.

Thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Zeeshan.R said:
In this 4 years of part time work experience there were occasions when I worked full time as well. There is total of more than 5700 hours I have worked in my employment but I cannot prove that what time I had vacations and in what time I was enrolled for studies. Obviously when the semester is over an international students are allowed to work full time. This happened throughout my studies in UK and I did full time work many times during a year such as on easter break, summer vacations, semester completion vacations and christmas breaks. But I can't prove when I was off from uni and when I was suppose to go college for studies because I don't remember the dates.

But I can surely provide the tax documents a yearly p60 statements from the tax office.
CIC isn't going to care whether your FT/PT work corresponded to your study periods. That's between you and the UK.

But the total of 5700 hours is irrelevant. As previously stated, you cannot count more than 30 hours in a full time week. And again, CIC will only accept what you can document. It won't be easy, but wishing you luck.

Zeeshan.R

Jun 7, 2016
Hello Nes,

Thanks for the response,

Work performed during study outside of canada may be acceptable whether its full time or part time.

But as i read in the link below that a candidate must have at least 1 years continuous Full time work experience. I only have part time work experience for 4 years and I have never worked full time. But the below link confirms a candidate must have at least 1 year full time work experience so does that make me ineligible?

Can I still apply if CIC considers my part time work experience in hours? Like I have more than 5700 hours work so 30 hours per week can make it to FT work experience for at least 1 year?

I am not allowed to post links so here is i am copying and pasting the information below!

I have been working in Canada for the last six months but didn’t get points for work experience. Why not?

Answer: Under the Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS), to be awarded points for skilled work experience, you must have been:

legally allowed to work in Canada in one or more jobs listed in Skill Type 0 or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification;
working full-time (or an equal amount in part-time), meaning 30 hours of work per week, and
working for at least one year in the 10-year period before the day we assign you points.
We do not count work experience if you were:

studying full-time while you were working,
self-employed, or
not legally allowed to work in Canada.

Please note: Work experience does not need to be continuous to get points under the CRS. But, to qualify under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you must have at least one year of continuous full-time paid work experience, either in Canada or abroad.

Regards,

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Zeeshan.R said:
But as i read in the link below that a candidate must have at least 1 years continuous Full time work experience.
... or the equivalent in part time work.

I only have part time work experience for 4 years and I have never worked full time. But the below link confirms a candidate must have at least 1 year full time work experience so does that make me ineligible?

The information you posted is for the Canadian Experience Class Program and is totally irrelevant to your situation. Without one year of experience in Canada (full time or equivalent), you are not eligible. You MIGHT be eligible under the Federal Skilled Workers Program - the language is

at least one year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time,

Can I still apply if CIC considers my part time work experience in hours? Like I have more than 5700 hours work so 30 hours per week can make it to FT work experience for at least 1 year?

I am not sure where the information already provided is not making sense to you.

The part-time equivalent of 1 year of full-time work is 1,560 hours.

over 4 years (208 weeks), you will have to account week-by-week for the hours you worked. If you work fewer than 30 hours per week, you count the hours at face value. If you work more than 30 hours per week, you can only count 30 hours because that is full-time under IRCC's definition.

so for example...

Week 1 20 hours worked 20 hours counted 20 cumulative
Week 2 20 hours worked 20 hours counted 40
Week 3 0 hours worked 0 hours counted 40
Week 4 40 hours worked 30 hours counted 70 (not 80)
Week 208 ....

Clearly you will have worked at least 1 year FTE, and you get more points for each year FTE you can document.

The only thing I am not certain about is if you were in the same position for all 4 years, and if IRCC wil consider that "continuous".

Zeeshan.R

Jun 7, 2016
Hi Jes,

Thanks for the understanding, I was in the same role under NOC 1241 Administrative assistant for 4 years in the same company.

I can provide all the payslips and yearly tax documents such as P60's.

Now there is another scenario that I completed my education in march 2014. but I was employed till November 2015. Now there is a difference about 1 year and 7 months.

In this 1.5 years my overall status was international student in UK but I was not enrolled in any educational institution after march 2014. Because the reason is after completing my education in march 2014 I took admission in some college to extend my stay in UK but that college got shut down by the UK government over compliance issues. My visa application for study permit extension was at home office UK so they retained my passport and refuse my application. They gave me right to appeal and I took home office to the court but lost my appeal at the end. I was still employed at the same company where I started working as administrative assistant during this application and appeals waiting time. So Can I also claim points for this 1.5 years of work after studies even though I was on 3C leave in UK.

Then I left the country Voluntarily. So in summary, whether my application was in process or I was going through appeals process in UK, My status in the country was still international student. According to UK's immigration law whoever has any visa application pending or any appeals in the court is considered to be on 3C leave. 3C leave apply when you don't have your passport with you and you are waiting on your visa application.

So according to the situation above Can I still count that work experience after my studies? Even though I was waiting for my visa application and I was on 3C leave in UK. Does CIC have any problem with what was my visa status in the UK throughout my stay? (International student or 3C leave) 3C is a legal status by the way.
Or they will simply find out by running a background check? When CIC runs background check do they only check criminal history or immigration history as well?

Please help.

Let me also appreciate your previous responses as well. Thanks dear.

Regards,

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Sorry, I know nothing about UK immigration laws, but the only important thing about that 3C status is whether or not you are legally permitted to work under that status, a detail you left out.

Will CIC care if you worked illegally? Yes, but they will care more if you lie about it - misrepresentation will get you not just refused, but also banned from Canada. So be honest, it will go better.

So whether or not you were authorized, you will need to explain it to CIC. And yes, they will check with UK immigration.

You can only apply and find out.

Zeeshan.R

Jun 7, 2016
Thanks Jes,

Looking at the situation carefully, where I have confusion about part time work during studies and also 3C leaves and work authorisation in UK.

I personally believe for my own benefit that I should wait 1 year, gain some full time work experience for a year then I will apply under FSW. I am not going add my part time work experience from UK in my EE profile whenever I will create on any time in the mid of year. Because if I show them work experience they would demand the payslips and tax papers etc. Its better to be safe than sorry.

Does hiding the work experience from UK would be a problem? Or I should mention that in personal history?

Regards,

Zeeshan.

Iraja

Jun 11, 2016
Hi jes_On, I have been searching this form for entering my queries regarding Express entry program since 3 hours. And I found this thread based on more efficient and honest replys by you. It's appreciated! Kindly have a look in my scenario too , and if u could please answer the queries.
I am a government employees in school education department since one year of full time work. I am teaching computer science subject till present .. And my husband is a pharmacist qualification . but he is currently staying aabroad. Would he have to take ielts test too??? And what are the chances in my occupation to get PR if I apply for EE??
How many bands are required of ielts to apply ??
Kindly answer these queries as soon as possible!
REGARDS!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Zeeshan.R said:
Does hiding the work experience from UK would be a problem? Or I should mention that in personal history?
You can safely leave it off your EOI profile, as long as you include it in your personal history - that would not be considered "hiding." If you failed to mention it in your personal history, that would be considered "hiding."

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Iraja said:
Hi jes_On, I have been searching this form for entering my queries regarding Express entry program since 3 hours. And I found this thread based on more efficient and honest replys by you. It's appreciated!

Thank you, and you're welcome!

I am a government employees in school education department since one year of full time work. I am teaching computer science subject till present .. And my husband is a pharmacist qualification . but he is currently staying aabroad. Would he have to take ielts test too??? And what are the chances in my occupation to get PR if I apply for EE??

How many bands are required of ielts to apply ??

I can't tell from your query whether you are in Canada or another county. It would be easier to answer if you could clarify. And I need to know for which program (FSW? CEC?).

If you are the principal applicant, your husband is not required to take the IELTs, but you will lose points if he does not. The IELTs is offered in many places (unlike the CELPIP), so "staying abroad" should not be a barrier. Similarly, your husband is not required to undergo an ECA, but unless he was educated in Canada, you will lose points if he does not.

You can see here about the required IELTS scores - requirements are different for FSW and CEC...
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/language-testing.asp