+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience - should I explain and do I need to prove what I don't need points for?

Swiftly

Sep 13, 2015
This forum is a fantastic forum. Thank you all, administrators and community.

I'm a medical doctor and I worked for two employers first one foreign and the second one in Canada. I received an ITA under FSW. I have questions about my reference letters.

It's been years since my first job. My direct supervisor of the time has since left. All they offered me was standard certificates that the computer spits out and all they have to do is sign it. I managed to get two certificates which in combination speak to my job title, positions held and salary. It's missing a description of duties and number of hours worked. It has a phone number but it's really an automated messaging system as it's a huge bureaucracy (it's the largest employer in that country).

The annoying part is that I don't really need the points as I would qualify both by CRS and FSW point systems even if I didn't have this work experience.

Can my application be rejected or cancelled if they can't confirm this job, even though I don't technically need it to qualify?

The current employer in Canada were somewhat better and provided me with a reasonable letter. They still wouldn't specify the hours worked per week because it varies, due to the nature of my job. I work 100+ hours per week but my employer was only willing to say that the job is "full-time".

Should I include a letter of explanation claiming that I work well above 30 hours per week but my employer wouldn't include the number because it is variable or should I just leave it alone?

Has anyone figured out a way to get their applications assessed under the CEC requirements? I read a few techniques in these forums but seemed like they were hit and miss.

Will CIC offer me an application under CEC if I can convince them that I won't be able to send documentation for FSW requirements?

I can't believe that so many people can be "over-qualified" for CEC. It's just more hassle for everyone involved.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. As you have an ITA under FSW and 'that' job is your only foreign work experience, you would've been awarded points for that. Your current set of documents will most likely result in a refusal because they are missing the most critical aspect of a reference letter - job responsibilities. And, most probably, you do need this to qualify for FSW (I can't say that for sure because I don't have inputs on your score breakdown on the FSW grid).

2. If you're sure (and I mean sure to the extent that you can bet your life on this) that you have enough points WITHOUT that experience to qualify for another ITA, you can choose to decline this ITA and wait in the pool for the next draw. By removing that work experience, I imagine you will automatically be ineligible under FSW and qualify only for CEC and that's what you wanted as well.

3. The best way of doing this experiment is to try and create a fresh GCKey and a fresh profile and EXCLUDE the foreign work experience this time around to see what impact that has on your points and program eligibility. Then you can take an informed decision.

All the best!