+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience requirement for CEC

wali2017

Feb 8, 2017
Hi All,

I started my job on 16th March, 2016. In my job offer letter it is mentioned as 44 hours/week (9 AM to 6 PM).

I created an EE profile few months back. In the field where it asks if you have 1 year work experience in Canada, I mentioned NO as it will be 1 year after 15th March, 2017.

However, in the field in EE profile where it asks weekly hours for current Canadian job, I mentioned 44 hours/week.

Today, I got ITA and need clarification on the 1 year full time work experience requirement. According to CIC page this is what I know:

"cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=664&top=29"

It says "“Full-time” means at least 30 hours of paid work in one week. One year of full-time work is at least 1560 hours." In terms of hours I have exceeded the requirement but in terms of months (12 month) I have not met the requirement. So, which interpretation should I take considering 44 hours/week is mentioned in my job offer letter. Should I decline ITA or apply?

Thanks for the help.

ozlis

Oct 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wali2017 said:
Hi All,

I started my job on 16th March, 2016. In my job offer letter it is mentioned as 44 hours/week (9 AM to 6 PM).

I created an EE profile few months back. In the field where it asks if you have 1 year work experience in Canada, I mentioned NO as it will be 1 year after 15th March, 2017.

However, in the field in EE profile where it asks weekly hours for current Canadian job, I mentioned 44 hours/week.

Today, I got ITA and need clarification on the 1 year full time work experience requirement. According to CIC page this is what I know:

It says "“Full-time” means at least 30 hours of paid work in one week. One year of full-time work is at least 1560 hours." In terms of hours I have exceeded the requirement but in terms of months (12 month) I have not met the requirement. So, which interpretation should I take considering 44 hours/week is mentioned in my job offer letter. Should I decline ITA or apply?

Thanks for the help.
You won't have one year until the 16th of March 2017. Hold off submitting your application until then and decline the ITA and wait.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wali2017 said:
Hi All,

Thanks for the help.
You not only need the hours mentioned you ALSO have to work for one year period in order to claim a year of work experience.

wali2017

Feb 8, 2017
DelPiero07 said:
You not only need the hours mentioned you ALSO have to work for one year period in order to claim a year of work experience.
Thanks. I understand. Since it will be 1 year after 15th March 2017 and the ITA has deadline of 10th May, is it okay to not submit the application till 15th March to fulfill the year requirement? Or does it consider the ITA issue date to detemine eligibility?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You're free to check this link to see how applications are assessed: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/refuse.asp

Rpat

Oct 9, 2016
Hi,

I have couple of question on work experience letter

1. I have full time written on my job letter but not the hours work per week
2. Do i need to include how many hours per week in expeerience letter ?or full time will be enough on my experience letter as I cannot get another letter as its very old

Thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
wali2017 said:
Hi All,I started my job on 16th March, 2016. In my job offer letter it is mentioned as 44 hours/week (9 AM to 6 PM).

Assuming you mean you got the ITA in the CEC class - You got the ITA because the EE profile only asks mm/yyyy instead of mm/dd/yyyy. So you got the ITA before you are actually qualified. You must qualify at the time of the ITA to be eligible. Lots of people have gotten tripped up by this (and refused because they applied too soon), but IRCC asks that you submit a profile only if you meet the eligibilty requirements (not before).

Yes, full time means "at least 30 hours in a week" which is not different than 44 hours per week. You are simply full-time, and you need one year of work. The equivalent in hours (1560 hours) is only provided for part-time people to calculate their eligibility.

You should decline the ITA and wait until you are eligible (March 15).