+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience related to Education

blue_borna

Star Member
Oct 2, 2015
Hi There,

I have done my graduation in Computer Science and Engineering, but I have my 5 years work experience in Online Marketing / Digital Marketing. Does it have any negative effect if I apply under NOC 1123 which is (Professional occupations in advertising, marketing and public relations)?

Senior members please help me! Thanks.

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
I'm not a senior member but I've done some extensive research about this topic as I myself am applying for NOC 5241 (Graphic Designers & Illustrators) while having a CS degree.

The majority of the posts and articles I've read mention that as long as your tasks and duties match the NOC code, you should be fine. I've also referenced this link on the IRCC website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/econ/fsw/minimum.asp

In the minimum work experience requirement seciton, there's a paragraph that says:
"Note: The applicant does not need to demonstrate that they meet the “employment requirements” listed in the NOC occupational description."

I don't think this would apply to other certain jobs in the fields of engineering and medicine for example. But I reckon it works for "non-risky" type of jobs, if you know what I mean.

Unfortunately, there's no way to tell if this is gonna work unless somebody has gone through a similar situation and got their PR.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
I doubt EVERYONE works exactly and only in the field of their diploma.

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
whataboutcanada said:
Your work experience must be directly related to your field of study. So yes, it will negatively affect your application and this could possibly a misrepresentation.
No offence, but what is your proof? Please check the link I posted earlier which discusses the guidelines followed by the IRCC staff in assessing applications.

Lolo12

Jul 4, 2015
It doesn't matter what's your qualification if your job matches the duties of NOC. My cousin studied CS but he had exp of HR. He got PR. He's now living a happy life in Canada.

Ezgi84

Feb 9, 2017
Istanbul
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-05-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-03-2017
whataboutcanada said:
Your work experience must be directly related to your field of study. So yes, it will negatively affect your application and this could possibly a misrepresentation.
No a lot of senior members in this forum repeated like 100 times that your diploma and work experience can differ.. (ofcourse you cannot perform a heart surgery with an archaeology degree but you know what I mean)

A lot of people like me work on different occupations than our diploma, I am a political scientist and my NOC code is 0124....

This is false information, as long as your duties match your NOC code its not a problem...

Please check previous treads on this topic as there are 100s of them....

If I am interested in lets say graphic design as smo said, I can for sure get enough experience and earn my life with it...

and I repeat, this is true if you are not a lawyer or a doctor or smt...

Sep 19, 2018
Can u plz repost the link regarding IRCC guidelines? Thx
No offence, but what is your proof? Please check the link I posted earlier which discusses the guidelines followed by the IRCC staff in assessing applications.
an