+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience Onshore/Offshore query

Ocean.vp

Star Member
Nov 28, 2016
Hi Folks,

I have filled my work experience as : from March 2012 to 2017 in a company in EE profile and have got ITA.
Actually while i was working for that company, i was in another country at onshore for one year 2015-2016 from same organization.
Is it Ok to show complete work experience under one entry.
Also i will be getting reference letter from the company for the complete duration 2012 - 2017. How do i show my work experience at onshore in another country.
Do i show it it personal history or update the work history section. (But still company will issue me one experience letter for my complete tenure.
Kindly Suggest.

Reactions: astraldust

ja_jamal

Star Member
Jul 24, 2016
NOC Code......
Hi Folks,

I have filled my work experience as : from March 2012 to 2017 in a company in EE profile and have got ITA.
Actually while i was working for that company, i was in another country at onshore for one year 2015-2016 from same organization.
Also i will be getting reference letter from the company for the complete duration 2012 - 2017. How do i show my work experience at onshore in another country.
Do i show it it personal history or update the work history section. (But still company will issue me one experience letter for my complete tenure.
Kindly Suggest.
Hi, This is a common problem for many people in IT industry. As per my discussion with the lawyer, You can keep single reference letter unless the onshore entity is legally different from offshore. Eg, IBM USA and IBM India are legally different entities.
As in your case, your company is giving the reference letter from 2012 to 2017. I assume, your employment from the parent (offshore) company is retained for the entire period, so no need to worry. Your onshore work keep it in the personal history.

I spoke with a guy who got the PR and in a similar situation like you.

shri_canada

Feb 21, 2017
Hi Folks,

Kindly Suggest.
Having single reference letter is absolutely fine. If possible then ask them to provide both periods, work location, compensation, duties, etc. separately in same letter. Also you need to provide police clearance for both locations if you have worked onsite for more than 6 months.

Ocean.vp

Star Member
Nov 28, 2016
Great. This helps.
But my entities were different though. As onshore entity is usually different.
Not sure if my company here can issue a separate letter for onshore or if they can write my onshore term in the same letter.

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
Great. This helps.
But my entities were different though. As onshore entity is usually different.
Not sure if my company here can issue a separate letter for onshore or if they can write my onshore term in the same letter.
I am in a similar situation and was posted for 3 years in the US before leaving the firm in US (different legal entities). They have issued a single letter for the entire period and mention the JD (no salary mentioned). In fact, I also have the following situations

1. Leave of Absence period during my employment when I was on a sabbatical pursuing higher studies but they have not mentioned this on the letter
2. Change of title in between but they have only indicated designation at the time of leaving - fortunately they have mentioned 2 JDs and there mentioned it as such -
JD for Title 1 (XX date - YY date)
JD for Title 2 (XX date - YY date)

Here is what I am doing - write a detailed LOA mentioning the different periods with titles and work locations (I had 2 different locations in US over 3 years) including the LOA period. As for salary, I am indicating that as per company policy no Indian salary is paid during onsite assignment and attaching Form 16 for all the years in employment as well W2s for US income along with relevant offer letters. For LOA, I am attaching proof of approval emails.

On the work history section, I have 4 entries all with the same company
Entry 1 - Joining to XX date - India - NOC 1
Entry 2 - YY to ZZ date - India (this is after the LOA period) - NOC 1
Entry 3 - ZZ to AA date - US Location 1 - NOC 2
Entry 4 - AA to BB date - US Location 2 - NOC 2

I was debating between moving it to personal history but then realized you would still need the LOA to explain but it makes it easy for documentation since you have only 1 placeholder rather than 4 where most of the documents are going to be the same. Maybe I will give it a thought as well

Suggestions welcome for my case as well

Hope this helps.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hi Folks,

Kindly Suggest.
I will add my two cents and tell you what I did for my case (April 24 AOR). I worked for one company in two countries. So from 2008 to 2013 I worked in India, and from 2013 to 2014, I worked in US, and left the company in US. I showed only this as my employment for points. I created two entries in EE profile.

2008 to 2013 - India
2013 to 2014 - US

Like your case, I got one service letter from my company for the entire tenure.. 2008 to 2014. Since I did not get responsibilities letter from the company, I got from my previous supervisor. When I drafted the letter for my supervisor, I created a table with these columns - Designation, Start date, End date, Country, Salary. So, for the period of 2013 - 2014, I mentioned the country as US, and mentioned the salary in USD.

So, I created two PDFs for my employment.. one for India and another one for US. I had LOE as first page in each PDF. In LOE, stated that I worked for one company between 2008 and 2014 in two different countries, and this LOE pertains to the Indian employment between 2008 to 2013. After that I mentioned that I have added a supervisor letter that shows responsibilities, distinction and salary as per work location. I also mentioned what additional proofs I am giving them as a part of that specific employment.. like Form 16 for India, W2 for US.

I added country specific documents as other supporting documents with in each PDF after the reference letter. Like in India PDF, I added form 16 and Indian pay slips, and for US PDF, I added W2 and US pay slips. Reference letter and service letter remained the same in both PDFs.

In my opinion, one reference letter is absolutely fine if the company is same.I researched this forum and found many have done that. You need not stress much on the legal entity thing mentioned by other poster as your company themselves have given single letter for the entire period, which obviously means that they treat it as one entity at least for your employment purposes.

For your case, you don't have much choice other than creating 3 entries.

2012 - 2015 - India
2015 - 2016 - Overseas
2016 - 2017 - India

Just mention the organization name exactly in same places. You will get three placeholders for your employment.

You could create three 3 PDFs like did, with each of them containing same reference/service letter, but different pay slips, country/year specific tax forms etc.

For a time period, you can have only identical entries in 'Work history' and 'Personal history' because whatever you provide in work history will automatically be transferred to personal history.

And I personally feel that it would be easier for the officer to understand that you work for one company seeing the same company name in your entries. But if you have additional entry in your personal history just for overseas employment along with what you have in work history, it might definitely confuse him as someone cannot be employed in two different countries at a same time.

Hope this helps.

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
I will add my two cents and tell you what I did for my case (April 24 AOR). I worked for one company in two countries. So from 2008 to 2013 I worked in India, and from 2013 to 2014, I worked in US, and left the company in US. I showed only this as my employment for points. I created two entries in EE profile.

2008 to 2013 - India
2013 to 2014 - US

Like your case, I got one service letter from my company for the entire tenure.. 2008 to 2014. Since I did not get responsibilities letter from the company, I got from my previous supervisor. When I drafted the letter for my supervisor, I created a table with these columns - Designation, Start date, End date, Country, Salary. So, for the period of 2013 - 2014, I mentioned the country as US, and mentioned the salary in USD.

So, I created two PDFs for my employment.. one for India and another one for US. I had LOE as first page in each PDF. In LOE, stated that I worked for one company between 2008 and 2014 in two different countries, and this LOE pertains to the Indian employment between 2008 to 2013. After that I mentioned that I have added a supervisor letter that shows responsibilities, distinction and salary as per work location. I also mentioned what additional proofs I am giving them as a part of that specific employment.. like Form 16 for India, W2 for US.

I added country specific documents as other supporting documents with in each PDF after the reference letter. Like in India PDF, I added form 16 and Indian pay slips, and for US PDF, I added W2 and US pay slips. Reference letter and service letter remained the same in both PDFs.

In my opinion, one reference letter is absolutely fine if the company is same.I researched this forum and found many have done that. You need not stress much on the legal entity thing mentioned by other poster as your company themselves have given single letter for the entire period, which obviously means that they treat it as one entity at least for your employment purposes.

2012 - 2015 - India
2015 - 2016 - Overseas
2016 - 2017 - India

Just mention the organization name exactly in same places. You will get three placeholders for your employment.

You could create three 3 PDFs like did, with each of them containing same reference/service letter, but different pay slips, country/year specific tax forms etc.

For a time period, you can have only identical entries in 'Work history' and 'Personal history' because whatever you provide in work history will automatically be transferred to personal history.

And I personally feel that it would be easier for the officer to understand that you work for one company seeing the same company name in your entries. But if you have additional entry in your personal history just for overseas employment along with what you have in work history, it might definitely confuse him as someone cannot be employed in two different countries at a same time.

Hope this helps.
Good one - Thanks! I have precisely followed this same approach while preparing my documentation and will keep it that way for submission as we

Prathi252

Jul 22, 2017
Thi

2008 to 2013 - India
2013 to 2014 - US

2012 - 2015 - India
2015 - 2016 - Overseas
2016 - 2017 - India

Hope this helps.
This definitely helps. I'm in similar situation and will follow the same approach. Hope folks have got the process cleared with this approach! Thanks a lot.

Balasubramani28

Jun 15, 2017
Hi,

I have service letter with job responsibilities & the position held but I don't have working Hours and salary details specified in my Service letter.

Do I need to get letter again which will be bit difficult.Please provide your valuable suggestion.

junti

Jan 12, 2018

2008 to 2013 - India
2013 to 2014 - US

2012 - 2015 - India
2015 - 2016 - Overseas
2016 - 2017 - India

Hope this helps.
Exactly in same situation...after reading this ,have entered 3 different entries with same company name but difference in dates and country...hope it will be fine

rohitpahwa

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018

2008 to 2013 - India
2013 to 2014 - US

2012 - 2015 - India
2015 - 2016 - Overseas
2016 - 2017 - India

Hope this helps.
Hi,

I am in the same position. My work ex is below. All the work ex is for the same company.Although its called ABC pvt ltd in india and ABC LLP in USA. I also created two entries in my profile post ITA as the country location is different and it has to match my travel history as well.

2011-2016 : India
2016-Present : USA

my company is not giving a combine experience letter and saying to get two different experience letter . One for India tenure and one for US tenure.
I am thinking to attach each letter to the individual entry and maybe explaining in LOE .
Do you think if this is helpful to have diff exp letter or its best to have the same letter ?

Appreciate your help here

ankit0912

Nov 1, 2018
Hi @DEEPCUR ,

I am in kind of a similar situation. I was working on a work permit in Germany but for the Indian employer. I was paid salary in INR and some allowance in EUR for being at onshore. During filling of work history in EE profile, what should I keep the city of work? Should I put the Indian city or the German city? I am kind of confused over here. Kindly help

2008 to 2013 - India
2013 to 2014 - US

2012 - 2015 - India
2015 - 2016 - Overseas
2016 - 2017 - India

Hope this helps.

harikatalanki

Sep 16, 2018

2008 to 2013 - India
2013 to 2014 - US

2012 - 2015 - India
2015 - 2016 - Overseas
2016 - 2017 - India

Hope this helps.
Hi @DEEPCUR , Your explanation is helping clarify a few people who are in the same situation as yours. Thank you! I created LOE based on your explanation. I would like to get it checked by you. Would you mind checking my LOE? ANy other way I can send you PM?