Work experience info needed illegal exp

kanu917

Star Member
Sep 11, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
18-07-2016
I applied for work permit on 23rd january 2018 which was tuesday and worked ever since then. As per CIC, we need to have minimum of 30 hours of work per week to account for work exp. As the day was tuesday and i worked till friday i have 32 hours. But this situation is still to tight for me to make any decision to apply. Can someone help me with this?Should i decline ITA or is it okay to go ahead?

Plus i worked on Monday i.e 22nd jan 2018 too which is in fact illegal and my payslips proves that. What should i do?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I applied for work permit on 23rd january 2018 which was tuesday and worked ever since then.

As per CIC, we need to have minimum of 30 hours of work per week to account for work exp.
This is not correct. You need a minimum of 30 hours to meet the definition of full-time work. But both full- and part-time work are accepted.

As the day was tuesday and i worked till friday i have 32 hours.
So, what's the question? The requirement is 30 or more hours. There is no requirement for "five days a week." The process will be much harder if you invent your own rules : )

But this situation is still to tight for me to make any decision to apply. Should i decline ITA or is it okay to go ahead?
You leave out the most important detail? LOL. When did you get the ITA?

Plus i worked on Monday i.e 22nd jan 2018 too which is in fact illegal and my payslips proves that. What should i do?
a. Payslips are not required.
b. Count your work experience from the 23rd.
b. Tell the truth and write a letter of explanation. In the other thread, the OP did not even realize s/he had worked illegally and claimed the work experience. Your situtation is different.

kanu917

Star Member
Sep 11, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
18-07-2016
I received ITA on 30th jan 2019. (it is in my signature).

Apologies for the confusion.

a. Payslips are not required.
b. Count your work experience from the 23rd.
b. Tell the truth and write a letter of explanation. In the other thread, the OP did not even realize s/he had worked illegally and claimed the work experience. Your situtation is different.

What proof do they ask for then? is it only work exp reference letter(issued from company) they are looking at?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I received ITA on 30th jan 2019. (it is in my signature).

Ok, fair enough. But since it appears you have met the 1 year requirement prior to the ITA, then ... What is the doubt?

What proof do they ask for then? is it only work exp reference letter(issued from company) they are looking at?
See the section, Proof of Work Experience -
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

kanu917

Star Member
Sep 11, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
18-07-2016
Ok, fair enough. But since it appears you have met the 1 year requirement prior to the ITA, then ... What is the doubt?

The thing is that i only manage to complete 1 year exp on borderline. I have exact no of week/hours which makes lil bit worry. As i took 1 week paid vacation outside canada which won't count in my exp.

kanu917

Star Member
Sep 11, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
18-07-2016
One more thing. In my reference letter should i say my actual date of joining i.e 22nd jan and explain why i worked 1 day before applying? or should i just ask my company to issue me a letter which says i joined on 23rd jan?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

The thing is that i only manage to complete 1 year exp on borderline. I have exact no of week/hours which makes lil bit worry.
As i took 1 week paid vacation outside canada which won't count in my exp.

??? And why wouldn't your paid vacation count as employment? It usually DOES count, unless you have some reason to think otherwise?

Last edited:

thaitran26291

Star Member
Oct 18, 2018
One more thing. In my reference letter should i say my actual date of joining i.e 22nd jan and explain why i worked 1 day before applying? or should i just ask my company to issue me a letter which says i joined on 23rd jan?
I suggest that you ask your employer the 2018 T4. Tomorrow is February, they should prepare for you. This is the right. After that, you submit the letter along T4 and do not include Payslips.

Reactions: kanu917

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
You should not ask your company to lie for you, although they are responsible as well for not ensuring that you were eligible to start working. As I said before, tell the truth but write a letter of explanation about your mistake, promise to never to it again, and ask for forgiveness. Not in those exact words, tho : )

Reactions: kanu917

kanu917

Star Member
Sep 11, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
18-07-2016
??? And why wouldn't your paid vacation count as employment? It usually DOES count, unless you have some reason to think otherwise?
Paid vacation taken outside Canada does not account as employment.

kanu917

Star Member
Sep 11, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
18-07-2016
I suggest that you ask your employer the 2018 T4. Tomorrow is February, they should prepare for you. This is the right. After that, you submit the letter along T4 and do not include Payslips.
Yes. I think this is the right approach. Thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

kanu917

Star Member
Sep 11, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
18-07-2016
That is simply not true.
How do you explain this then?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html

An allowance for a reasonable period of vacation time will generally be made in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., a two-week period of paid vacation leave within a given 52-week period in which the applicant was engaged in qualifying work experience). An allowance for normal vacation time during a period of qualifying work experience cannot be used as a substitute or proxy for meeting the in-Canada element of the work experience requirement (i.e., work experience obtained outside Canada will not be considered as though the applicant had been on a period of vacation in order to be counted as part of the period of in-Canada work experience). While officers will account for a reasonable period of vacation time in calculating the period of qualifying work experience in Canada, each application is considered on its own merits with a final decision based on a review of all the information available to the officer at the time of decision.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html

An allowance for a reasonable period of vacation time will generally be made in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., a two-week period of paid vacation leave within a given 52-week period in which the applicant was engaged in qualifying work experience). An allowance for normal vacation time during a period of qualifying work experience cannot be used as a substitute or proxy for meeting the in-Canada element of the work experience requirement (i.e., work experience obtained outside Canada will not be considered as though the applicant had been on a period of vacation in order to be counted as part of the period of in-Canada work experience). While officers will account for a reasonable period of vacation time in calculating the period of qualifying work experience in Canada, each application is considered on its own merits with a final decision based on a review of all the information available to the officer at the time of decision.
What you've quoted supports what jes_ON has said.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

This says that you cannot work outside of Canada (foreign work experience) and then claim it as "vacation" for in-Canada experience. (yes, people tried to do that).

That is very different from saying you cannot take vacation time as part of your Canadian employment and travel outside of Canada.

Reactions: mirahe94