+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience has a gap due to COVID-19

noonecan

May 25, 2020
Hey,

I was working under NOC A for 9 months (mid July to mid march) and got a lay off temporarily. I couldn't get continuous experience of 1 year. Now I got hired again and don't have time to start again to get continuous experience as my work experience expires in 6 months. If I work for another 4 months I should have 1 year of experience but with a gap of 2 months.
Will this be considered for Express entry? If not what would be my options?

Thanks

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hey,

I was working under NOC A for 9 months (mid July to mid march) and got a lay off temporarily. I couldn't get continuous experience of 1 year. Now I got hired again and don't have time to start again to get continuous experience as my work experience expires in 6 months. If I work for another 4 months I should have 1 year of experience but with a gap of 2 months.
Will this be considered for Express entry? If not what would be my options?

Thanks
You need a total of 1 year full time experience (52 weeks working at least 30 h per week).

This experience does not necessarily have to be continuous, so I don't see the problem in your case.

IRCC does not ever mention "CONTINUOUS" -->
"
  • have at least 1 year of skilled work experience in Canada, in the last 3 years before you apply, and the work experience must be:
    • full-time, or
    • an equal amount in part-time
  • have gained your work experience by working in Canada legally
"

I am not sure where you came up with this requirement from?