+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work Experience for CEC

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
Hi, if I apply under CEC, can I show my previous Indian work experience along with Canadian work experience? If yes, then does the Indian work experience have to be within the last five years or ten years? I have a post-graduate work permit and am thinking to go to Canada and work for one year. But, I'm thinking if I should get the letter of reference and other supporting documents for Indian work experience from my previous Indian employer along with me when I go to Canada. Will the immigration people ask for original letter of reference or can scanned copy work in case my Indian employer is able to provide me with the letter of reference after I land in Canada.

Also, I'm confused whether to apply under CEC or apply under FSW or other PNP programs like OINP. If you compare PNP or FSW application with one year of foreign (Indian) work experience and CEC application with one year Canadian work experience, does it make a huge difference in CRS score, provided I meet other requirements and my IELTS score is good? Will CEC application have a greater CRS score by a significant margin?

neorol

Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
AOR Received.
26-10-2016 (1st AOR) / 01-12-2016 (BOWP - 2nd AOR)
Med's Done....
09-11-2016 (Passed)
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-04-2017
msatishxp said:
Hi, if I apply under CEC, can I show my previous Indian work experience along with Canadian work experience?

Yes, if you had at least one year continuous full-time skilled work in one occupation (under same NOC).

If yes, then does the Indian work experience have to be within the last five years or ten years?

Within 10 years for foreign experience and 3 years for Canadian experience.

I have a post-graduate work permit and am thinking to go to Canada and work for one year. But, I'm thinking if I should get the letter of reference and other supporting documents for Indian work experience from my previous Indian employer along with me when I go to Canada. Will the immigration people ask for original letter of reference or can scanned copy work in case my Indian employer is able to provide me with the letter of reference after I land in Canada.

You will need to provide reference letters from your Indian employers too. You will need to scan and upload the documents for your Permanent Residency application but you don't have to bring them with you when you move to Canada to work with your PGWP. You can upload a copy that was scanned in India but it's good to have the originals as well. Ask your employers to send them to you to Canada.

Also, I'm confused whether to apply under CEC or apply under FSW or other PNP programs like OINP. If you compare PNP or FSW application with one year of foreign (Indian) work experience and CEC application with one year Canadian work experience, does it make a huge difference in CRS score, provided I meet other requirements and my IELTS score is good? Will CEC application have a greater CRS score by a significant margin?

There can be a huge difference. PNP gives you extra 600 points, CEC gives you minimum extra 35 points (which will be probably more soon). Even 1 extra point can make a difference between being selected or not.

FSW itself doesn't have these benefits, unless you can get an LMIA, which is extra 600 points. PNP is usually a long process and it needs a separate application as well, for CEC you have to have at least 1 year Canadian full-time (30 hours/week) equivalent skilled work experience (NOC A, B or 0).

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
msatishxp said:
Hi, if I apply under CEC, can I show my previous Indian work experience along with Canadian work experience?
Um, you have to submit an expression of interest profile via Express Entry first, where if you meet the EE criteria, you will get a CRS score. You can increase your CRS score with foreign work experience, regardless of which program you are invited to apply to. But if you include it in your profile, you will have to document your experience (e.g. letters from employers).

If yes, then does the Indian work experience have to be within the last five years or ten years?
Foreign work experience in the past 10 years. You max out on points with 3 years of experience, so you might not want to include it all.

I have a post-graduate work permit and am thinking to go to Canada and work for one year. But, I'm thinking if I should get the letter of reference and other supporting documents for Indian work experience from my previous Indian employer along with me when I go to Canada. Will the immigration people ask for original letter of reference or can scanned copy work in case my Indian employer is able to provide me with the letter of reference after I land in Canada.

The important part is that the letter is written (dated) after you complete the claimed work experience. So you can get it on your last day of work, a month later, or later when you're ready to apply. When you do apply, you will submit a scan of the letter, but you are instructed to keep the original, as CIC could ask you to provide that later for verification.

You don't "chose" the program, EE assesses your qualifications and you get an overall CRS score, and if you get an invitation to apply, you will be told what program to apply for. If you are eligible for both FSW and CEC, you will be invited to apply for CEC (the actual application is much easier).

You can see how each type of experience is scored here. Note that you get even more points if you have both foreign and Canadian work experience.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp

For FSW, which has its own scoring system, you need a minimum score of 67 points. For CEC, it is pass/fail.

For OINP - note that there are "traditional" provincial programs, and the ones specific to Express Entry (e.g. Ontario Human Capital Priorities). the OHCP program is closed at the moment, but it will reopen at some unspecified date in the future. The traditional programs are separate from express entry, they do not give you any extra CRS points. Only the OHCP (and the French one) give you an extra 600 points. If you get the nomination, you still have to apply under one of the EE programs (FSW, CEC, FST). Hope this clarifes things -

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/

Jetrocker

Jul 30, 2013
@jes_on - Thanks for your reply. By the way, for FSW, if I get the minimum 67 points, will I be getting an Invitation to Apply?

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
msatishxp said:
@jes_on - Thanks for your reply. By the way, for FSW, if I get the minimum 67 points, will I be getting an Invitation to Apply?
Scoring 67 points only means that you're eligible to create an Express Entry profile.

Whether or not you receive an ITA is based on your CRS.

Mjkab

Aug 29, 2016
Hi Everybody,

Could you help me to understand this issue:

Can I apply with my non-professional Canadian work experience for CEC application?

This work experience is not relevant to my base profession as Veterinarian but I worked in Canada. For example, Cook and Customer service rep and Security and fraud analyst for a bank.

I will appreciate your prompt reply.

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Only NOC A, B and 0 work experience counts. So you should be able to count your work experience as a cook - but likely not your work experience as a customer service rep.

Reactions: Mjkab

Mjkab

Aug 29, 2016
Only NOC A, B and 0 work experience counts. So you should be able to count your work experience as a cook - but likely not your work experience as a customer service rep.
Thank you!
though my job title is CSR, my duties and responsibilities are same as a security and fraud analyst. I am working in Security and Fraud department.
What can I do? Am I eligible to apply CEC?

Last edited: