+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work experience during Master's Program

ahmedts

Oct 8, 2020
Hello all,

I have a question about whether or not my work during my Master's program ( August 2016 - August 2018) can be counted towards my work experience. I will try to explain the full details in order to give the full picture. Thank you in advance for your help.

My Master's program had 3 main components: Courses, Research Duties and Teaching duties and is meant to last for 2 years. Starting from my 2nd semester (January 2017), I was assigned to a research project to work on for the duration of my master's and the results for said project were meant to constitute the results of my Thesis.

We were required to be on campus for 40 hours a week (8 hours/5 days a week) and the distribution of the time was generally:
Classes and Lectures: 7.5 hours per week (January 2017 - May 2017) and 2.5 hours per week (August 2017 - End of program)
Teaching duties: 5 hours per week
Research: 27.5 hours per week (January 2017 - May 2017) and 32.5 hours per week (August 2017 - End of program)

Classes and teaching duties were only performed during the Fall (August - December) and Spring (January - May). Additionally, as graduate students we were not allowed to take leave during normal university breaks eg: Winter break, Spring break, Summer break, and although there were no classes/teaching duties, we had to work on our research project. We were only allowed 35 calendar days leave/year.

Also, I received a stipend equivalent to 5,000 CAD per month (60,000 CAD per year).

Note: It's important to note that during this time my designation at the university was "student".

My main worry is that in my application I would have listed my Master's program as "full-time" and in the same amount of time I would have been doing full-time amount of work (~30 hours per week) as a research assistant and that my work as a research assistant contributed to my Thesis which was a graduation requirement for my MSc. program.

Taking all this information into account, can I apply for my research assistant duties as work experience under NOC 4012 for my EE application? If so, are there any extra details I need to know when asked to submit proof of work experience?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
If you were in Canada, you cannot count any work experience while you were on a study permit. If you were abroad, you can count any and all work experience.