+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work done after completion of studies and before PGWP

cec immigration

Star Member
May 13, 2015
Hi
I completed my studies in December 2014 and applied for my PGWP on January 18, 2015. I started working on March 1, 2015. Now I am completing my 1 year of CEC on Feb 29, 2016. The problem is I received my post graduate work permit on April 30, 2015. Now can I make my express entry profile from March 1, 2016 or do I need to wait till April 30, 2016. Everytime I call CIC call centre they tell different things. I only have 1 year work permit and don't have a LMIA.
Does work done after completion of studies and after applying for PGWP and before getting PGWP counted towards CEC or not.

b4ahmad

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
You are absolutely eligible on March-1 for CEC. The work that you after applying PGWP is considered as full time work. Read this paragraph,

Paragraph 186(w) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations allows students who have completed their program of study to work while they are waiting for a decision on their work permit application as long as they were a full-time student enrolled at a designated learning institution in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program, and they did not exceed the allowable hours of work.
Link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/students/post-grad.asp

So go ahead and apply, best of luck :)