+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work ban on study permit during immigration in Toronto

Furqan Shaikh

Sep 14, 2021
Hello all, I'm an Indian citizen and landed in Toronto, Ontario with my student visa traveling via a 3rd country on 23rd August which was a Monday. My university is in Moncton, New Brunswick. During immigration the lady officer asked me about my accommodation and unfortunately at that time I did not find one in Moncton nor did I find a day time flight to Moncton until the weekend. I had booked a hotel for the week in Toronto as a backup. The immigration officer got stuck on the fact that I've travelled all across the world without any set accomodation. I told her I tried various available avenues such as Facebook marketplace, kijiji and even Craigslist but couldn't find responses due to the time difference between Canada and India. I even should her my grades for the 2 courses I've completed for my master's degree program(both As). Finally after asking me various questions about my studies and accommodation she decided that I've arrived in Canada for work and not to study so she put a work ban on my study permit with a statement which goes - Unable to accept employment in Canada. She also put a 6 months leave by date on my profile which ends in Feb 2022 while my course ends in May 2022. Please advise how should I get this corrected. now I'm in Moncton with a leased accomodation. @legalfalcon please help.

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
What various questions was asked? The border officer is trying to determine if you're coming to Canada to study or not. It was determined that your main intention is trying to use a study permit to work and not to study.

Furqan Shaikh

Sep 14, 2021
What various questions was asked? The border officer is trying to determine if you're coming to Canada to study or not. It was determined that your main intention is trying to use a study permit to work and not to study.
The questions were mainly around my courses, university fee, grades, University login, accomodation, when my course started and when do we go in live classes, etc. However right from the start she was stuck on the same point of not having an accommodation in Moncton. I answered all questions with full sincerity as one should. My goal was to come to Moncton and study, work was always secondary.
Any advice to fix this will be really helpful. Thanks.

gursewak singh

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
SANGRUR,PUNJAB,INDIA
App. Filed.......
21-08-2013
File Transfer...
25-11-2013
Med's Request
24-09-2013
Med's Done....
25-09-2013
bro there are 3+ flights daily from Toronto to Moncton and you should have booked a connecting flight from India only even if there was a 1 day difference between connecting flights. it shows you came unprepared for your destination. if they put in statement i guess its hard to challenge it as challenging it shows they were right about you.
your leave by date is feb 2022 that means study permit expiry date is feb 2022 i'm not sure but i think you may have to reapply for study permit extension. then i guess may be it will be removed on that. it takes around 36 days application processing time so you have enough time . wait for about 1-2 mnths.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hello all, I'm an Indian citizen and landed in Toronto, Ontario with my student visa traveling via a 3rd country on 23rd August which was a Monday. My university is in Moncton, New Brunswick. During immigration the lady officer asked me about my accommodation and unfortunately at that time I did not find one in Moncton nor did I find a day time flight to Moncton until the weekend. I had booked a hotel for the week in Toronto as a backup. The immigration officer got stuck on the fact that I've travelled all across the world without any set accomodation. I told her I tried various available avenues such as Facebook marketplace, kijiji and even Craigslist but couldn't find responses due to the time difference between Canada and India. I even should her my grades for the 2 courses I've completed for my master's degree program(both As). Finally after asking me various questions about my studies and accommodation she decided that I've arrived in Canada for work and not to study so she put a work ban on my study permit with a statement which goes - Unable to accept employment in Canada. She also put a 6 months leave by date on my profile which ends in Feb 2022 while my course ends in May 2022. Please advise how should I get this corrected. now I'm in Moncton with a leased accomodation. @legalfalcon please help.
You couldn't find hotel accommodation in Moncton??? How possible is that?? You need a whole week of lay-over in Toronto before you can get a connecting flight to Moncton? That sounds very far-fetched. We don't know the whole story but you must have done/said something that made the officer suspicious. It's quite unfortunate.

I am not sure what you can do about this but you can try to fill the form to rectify your study permit conditions. You can include an LOE to state your side of the matter and clear up any suspicion. Make sure you have an apartment lease (or campus accommodation) in Moncton and all the proof of your class registration and enrolment. You might get lucky and the ban is lifted.

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
The questions were mainly around my courses, university fee, grades, University login, accomodation, when my course started and when do we go in live classes, etc. However right from the start she was stuck on the same point of not having an accommodation in Moncton. I answered all questions with full sincerity as one should. My goal was to come to Moncton and study, work was always secondary.
Any advice to fix this will be really helpful. Thanks.
You are going to Moncton, but you are going to Toronto for a week before flying to Monton? And no flights to Monton? That's your excuse? Air Canada has daily flights to Monton.

You couldn't find accommodation because of time difference between India and Canada? What does time difference got to do with finding accomodation?

I guess they were right to believe you're not going to study. You had no plans of going to Monton to attend school.

If work was secondary to you, then this is completely irrelevant to you, you don't need to do anything, right? Why do you want to get it corrected?

Furqan Shaikh

Sep 14, 2021
You couldn't find hotel accommodation in Moncton??? How possible is that?? You need a whole week of lay-over in Toronto before you can get a connecting flight to Moncton? That sounds very far-fetched. We don't know the whole story but you must have done/said something that made the officer suspicious. It's quite unfortunate.

I am not sure what you can do about this but you can try to fill the form to rectify your study permit conditions. You can include an LOE to state your side of the matter and clear up any suspicion. Make sure you have an apartment lease (or campus accommodation) in Moncton and all the proof of your class registration and enrolment. You might get lucky and the ban is lifted.
Hi Yes, I can understand the suspicion. I genuinely tried to find accommodation, but people would not respond on kijiji and fb market place post and I do admit I should've booked a flight to Moncton and a hotel accommodation before landing. I'm in Moncton now since 2 weeks and do have a leased rent agreement as well. I'm looking for the right direction to reapply.

Furqan Shaikh

Sep 14, 2021
bro there are 3+ flights daily from Toronto to Moncton and you should have booked a connecting flight from India only even if there was a 1 day difference between connecting flights. it shows you came unprepared for your destination. if they put in statement i guess its hard to challenge it as challenging it shows they were right about you.
your leave by date is feb 2022 that means study permit expiry date is feb 2022 i'm not sure but i think you may have to reapply for study permit extension. then i guess may be it will be removed on that. it takes around 36 days application processing time so you have enough time . wait for about 1-2 mnths.
Yes bro, I wasn't explicit in my description about flights. I had already travelled in 4 flights so didn't want to take a flight with halts as it was all self transfer. Also most flights were reaching Moncton in the night which my friend advised against.
My student visa is valid till September 2022, but the officer put a leave by date on my passport of Feb 2022. I have to mainly get this changed as my course will end by May 2022.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Yes, I can understand the suspicion. I genuinely tried to find accommodation, but people would not respond on kijiji and fb market place post and I do admit I should've booked a flight to Moncton and a hotel accommodation before landing. I'm in Moncton now since 2 weeks and do have a leased rent agreement as well. I'm looking for the right direction to reapply.
I personally haven't seen a situation like this before. You need to hire a Canadian immigration lawyer. This is no longer a "do it yourself case" and no one here is going to be able to tell you what to do. You need legal advice.

Furqan Shaikh

Sep 14, 2021
Thanks for the reply. I am going to connect with a
I personally haven't seen a situation like this before. You need to hire a Canadian immigration lawyer. This is no longer a "do it yourself case" and no one here is going to be able to tell you what to do. You need legal advice.
Thank you for the reply. I am going to connect with a an immigration lawyer.
A well wisher suggested to post my situation on this group to see if it is something I can do by myself. I do realise the case is very uncommon. Most of my classmates traveled to Canada from different locations and were not asked for any accommodation and are living in different cities. Guess it was my luck to have had this experience.

Furqan Shaikh

Sep 14, 2021
You are going to Moncton, but you are going to Toronto for a week before flying to Monton? And no flights to Monton? That's your excuse? Air Canada has daily flights to Monton.

You couldn't find accommodation because of time difference between India and Canada? What does time difference got to do with finding accomodation?

I guess they were right to believe you're not going to study. You had no plans of going to Monton to attend school.

If work was secondary to you, then this is completely irrelevant to you, you don't need to do anything, right? Why do you want to get it corrected?
I don't blame you to think that way. I wouldn't have tried to change my permit if she didn't put a leave by date of 6 months, while my course runs for more than 8 months.

Andry2005

Sep 10, 2021
Agree!!!

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
I don't blame you to think that way. I wouldn't have tried to change my permit if she didn't put a leave by date of 6 months, while my course runs for more than 8 months.
You don't need to try to change your study permit conditions. Why would you need to do that? If your course runs beyond the validity of your permit, you can extend it through the GC portal when you're near the expiration date.

Reactions: Anyw and EsterO

Furqan Shaikh

Sep 14, 2021

I don't blame you to think that way. I wouldn't have tried to change my permit if she didn't put a leave by date of 6 months, while my course runs for more than 8 months
You don't need to try to change your study permit conditions. Why would you need to do that? If your course runs beyond the validity of your permit, you can extend it through the GC portal when you're near the expiration date.
Ok. Will do that then. Thanks. Much appreciate all the responses.