+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work and Visitor Permit overlap (minor emergency)

mpeskett

Feb 6, 2014
Hi all,

I have a bit of an emergency question.

I have a work permit valid until May 2nd 2014 and currently have a BC PNP application in process. Because I am not likely to receive a response on this before May 2nd, I applied for a visitor permit so that I could remain in Canada whilst I wait.

I applied for the visitor permit in advance as opposed to just turning up at the border. My application was approved on April 14th. Via myCIC I got an approval notification document, which I assumed I would take to the border on May 2nd and re-enter and be issued with a visitor permit there. However, I have just received a visitor permit in the mail with an 'In force' date of April 14th!

I explicitly stated in my Letter of Explanation that I was applying for this visitor permit in order to remain in Canada beyond May 2nd. But since this visitor permit is 'in force' as of April 14th I am now concerned that has nullified my work permit already. I assume that both permits cannot be valid at the same time is that correct? I have been working under the assumption that this approved visitor permit will enable me to seamlessly transition from worker to visitor on May 2nd, but if my work permit was nullified as of April 14th that must mean I have been working illegally, and unknowingly.

Is it the case that my work permit was invalidated? This is a real concern since it would mean I've been working illegally, which has not been my intention. I explicitly stated that I needed this visitor permit to transition to visitor status when my work permit expires on May 2nd.

I cannot call the info centre since it's the weekend and I'm not sure if I can legally go into work on Monday. What should I do?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

mpeskett

Feb 6, 2014
sillylilmoo said:
Hi Mark,

I am going to be in a similar situation... and I'm wondering how this worked out for you?
Hey there,

There are circumstances (such as mine) where you can possess more than one permit, although not two work permits I believe. So for me it was fine to have a work permit and visitor permit simultaneously, given my particular situation. I continued working until the end of my work permit and remained in Canada as a visitor. I even went back to the UK for a couple of weeks whilst I waited for my PNP nomination, which conveniently came through whilst I was there, so I was able to return to Canada and get a new work permit at the airport, rather than make a separate trip to the border.

In fact my visitor permit would still have been valid even with this new work permit, but of course I then had no need for it.

Hope this helps,

Mark