+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Work and Personal History

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020
Hello everyone, I want to get some clarification on work and personal history after we receive an ITA and submit a PR application. I have been going through several discussions in this forum and have understood the following:
1. We only add work experience that we have evidence for, rest of the work experience with insufficient or no evidence goes in the personal history section. There should be no gaps in personal history, even if it is just 1 day.
2. A debatable topic: we have to use the latest IELTS results even if the bands are lower and previous high bands are valid (fall within a 2-year expiry).

My questions are,
1. this work and personal history only for the last 10 years, or do we need to mention something outside the last 10 years period like an activity or work?
2. can we use any IELTS results if it's valid?

Warm regards,

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
Hello everyone, I want to get some clarification on work and personal history after we receive an ITA and submit a PR application. I have been going through several discussions in this forum and have understood the following:
1. We only add work experience that we have evidence for, rest of the work experience with insufficient or no evidence goes in the personal history section. There should be no gaps in personal history, even if it is just 1 day.
2. A debatable topic: we have to use the latest IELTS results even if the bands are lower and previous high bands are valid (fall within a 2-year expiry).

My questions are,
1. this work and personal history only for the last 10 years, or do we need to mention something outside the last 10 years period like an activity or work?
2. can we use any IELTS results if it's valid?

Warm regards,
1. Under work experience, you mention only work experience in the past 10 years that you are claiming points for. Anything you are not claiming points for go to personal experience.
With personal history, they ask for 10 years history but you could start from age 18 - no gaps.
2. What do you mean “any IELTS results. IELTS general is what is accepted and it must be within 2 years. The IELTS has to be in one sitting. Looks like you are referring to IELTS retake - not accepted for EE.

This has been discussed here
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/ielts-one-skill-retake.817000/#post-10705895

canadasj

Star Member
Sep 29, 2023
Hi @aspirant256

In addition to feedback shared by @mandiebraxton

If you took IELTS multiple times (Not the retake of a specific section), you can use any of the IELTS results as long as those are valid. You need to provide the IELTS Test Report Form Number and other details in your application to point to the IELTS results that you want IRCC to consider.

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020
1. Under work experience, you mention only work experience in the past 10 years that you are claiming points for. Anything you are not claiming points for go to personal experience.
With personal history, they ask for 10 years history but you could start from age 18 - no gaps.
2. What do you mean “any IELTS results. IELTS general is what is accepted and it must be within 2 years. The IELTS has to be in one sitting. Looks like you are referring to IELTS retake - not accepted for EE.

This has been discussed here
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/ielts-one-skill-retake.817000/#post-10705895
1. If I start from the age of 18 then it will be 20 years of history, that's what I want to know if we need to mention anything beyond the 10-year period.
2. I know IELTS GT is required and OSR (one skill retake) is not accepted. My question is about using the latest result of the IELTS exam, on their website they say, if I take two exams within 2 years then I am forced to use the latest result even if the scores of the 2nd attempt are lower than 1st attempt:

Keep your profile up-to-date
You must make sure that the information in your profile stays true and accurate at all times. You must update your profile if your situation changes, for example if you:

• start a new career
  • gain or lose a job offer
  • get a new language test
  • get married or divorced
  • have or adopt a new child
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/submit-profile/waiting-pool.html

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020
Hi @aspirant256

In addition to feedback shared by @mandiebraxton

If you took IELTS multiple times (Not the retake of a specific section), you can use any of the IELTS results as long as those are valid. You need to provide the IELTS Test Report Form Number and other details in your application to point to the IELTS results that you want IRCC to consider.
Thats what I worried and confused about, their official website says this:

Keep your profile up-to-date
You must make sure that the information in your profile stays true and accurate at all times. You must update your profile if your situation changes, for example if you:

• start a new career
  • gain or lose a job offer
  • get a new language test
  • get married or divorced
  • have or adopt a new child
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/submit-profile/waiting-pool.html

canadasj

Star Member
Sep 29, 2023
Hi @aspirant256

1. You only need to mention the last 10 years of history. For someone, who was 18 years of age in the last 10 years e.g., someone who is 26 years of age, will only need to provide history from the age of 18 years to 26 years i.e. 8 years of history instead of 10 years otherwise.
  2. As I understand, you can use any of your scores as long as they are valid. IRCC does not know how many IELTS attempts you made and what's your most recent attempt score. They only ask you to provide the details of the IELTS score that you want to use as long as those are valid. You can consult an IRCC registered immigration lawyer or call the IRCC helpline to further check

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020
Hi @aspirant256

1. You only need to mention the last 10 years of history. For someone, who was 18 years of age in the last 10 years e.g., someone who is 26 years of age, will only need to provide history from the age of 18 years to 26 years i.e. 8 years of history instead of 10 years otherwise.
  2. As I understand, you can use any of your scores as long as they are valid. IRCC does not know how many IELTS attempts you made and what's your most recent attempt score. They only ask you to provide the details of the IELTS score that you want to use as long as those are valid. You can consult an IRCC registered immigration lawyer or call the IRCC helpline to further check
2. It has been discussed on this forum, but those discussions are old like this one from 2016 https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/can-i-combine-results-from-more-than-one-language-test.459047/page-2. So, I am asking this here, if there is any clarity on this text. We don't know how IRCC is able to access on verifying IELTS results, may be they are able to see the latest IELTS results or are prompted by IELTS for it. And by the way, never give this advice to anyone to hire a registered IRCC consultant, they're incompetent and best at ruining cases. I have personal experience with both immigration lawyers and registered consultants.

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
2. It has been discussed on this forum, but those discussions are old like this one from 2016 https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/can-i-combine-results-from-more-than-one-language-test.459047/page-2. So, I am asking this here, if there is any clarity on this text. We don't know how IRCC is able to access on verifying IELTS results, may be they are able to see the latest IELTS results or are prompted by IELTS for it. And by the way, never give this advice to anyone to hire a registered IRCC consultant, they're incompetent and best at ruining cases. I have personal experience with both immigration lawyers and registered consultants.
Hi you only need to put the reference number of the valid IELTS test you want to use if you have more than one. What you put in your application is what IRCC is going to check. Note that when applying IRCC does not ask for your actual IELTS certificate or ECA because they directly check with these bodies to confirm what you have on your application. Hope that answers your questions

Last edited:

aspirant256

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2020
Hi you only need to put the reference number of the valid IELTS test you want to use if you have more than one. What you put in your application is what IRCC is going to check. Note that when applying IRCC does not ask for your actual IELTS certificate or ECA because they directly check with these bodies to confirm what you have on your application. Hope that answers your questions
What about the work, personal, travel history and police certificate? for any reason we need to mention anything outside the last 10 year period?