+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

word limit in Writing task

jas9988

Sep 11, 2018
Hi

My name is Jasmine and i have taken Ielts unlimited number of times in last year but could not score what i require. I lack in writing. My first question is what is the maximum word limit for writing task 1 and 2 both?

OnceMore

Star Member
Sep 2, 2018
Ottawa
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-09-2020
AOR Received.
17-09-2020
Why are you worried about the maximum word limit? Do not write more than what is required, may be a little more (like 20 words more) but not too much. The more words you write, the higher the chances that something will be wrong in those extra words. I have seen your other posts/questions, do not worry about and do not aim for the maximum word limit.

What changes did you make between your 'unlimited' ielts attempts? Did you try a new technique? Go to a new tutor? etc. If you are simply retaking the test without changing your strategy then you will not see a significant improvement in your score.

jas9988

Sep 11, 2018
Why are you worried about the maximum word limit? Do not write more than what is required, may be a little more (like 20 words more) but not too much. The more words you write, the higher the chances that something will be wrong in those extra words. I have seen your other posts/questions, do not worry about and do not aim for the maximum word limit.

What changes did you make between your 'unlimited' ielts attempts? Did you try a new technique? Go to a new tutor? etc. If you are simply retaking the test without changing your strategy then you will not see a significant improvement in your score.
yes i tried new techniques, i changed tutors as well. cant see any difference in scores. my Requirement is l-8, s-8, r-7, w-7. and i have already attempted 18 exams in 1 year. now i am really frustrated and given up hope.

OnceMore

Star Member
Sep 2, 2018
Ottawa
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-09-2020
AOR Received.
17-09-2020
Waow ....... 18 exams in 1 year is wayyyyy too high. You need to rethink your entire approach. I am sorry but I don't think this forum or any online-random-stranger can help you, something is wrong at a fundamental level.
Also, why are you worried about the maximum word limit?

jas9988

Sep 11, 2018
Waow ....... 18 exams in 1 year is wayyyyy too high. You need to rethink your entire approach. I am sorry but I don't think this forum or any online-random-stranger can help you, something is wrong at a fundamental level.
Also, why are you worried about the maximum word limit?
because i thought i might have exceeded the word limit in last attempt. thats why scored 6.5

nns14

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2018
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Nairobi, Kenya
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-09-2019
AOR Received.
26-09-2019
File Transfer...
24-10-2019
Passport Req..
18-Jul-2022
VISA ISSUED...
05-Aug-2022
LANDED..........
11-Jan-2023
yes i tried new techniques, i changed tutors as well. cant see any difference in scores. my Requirement is l-8, s-8, r-7, w-7. and i have already attempted 18 exams in 1 year. now i am really frustrated and given up hope.
I have already given 6 tests within 6 months and I find that way too many times.

sangpll2009

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
As far as I know, there isn't a maximum word limit, but like mentioned earlier, the more you write, the higher are your chances of making mistakes and also you would end up losing time if you write too much. Also, you might be having issues with your task 1 rather than your task 2, which could be affecting your scores. I have read many test takers' stories where they got better scores when they started concentrating and working towards improving both their tasks, rather than just the essay.

I would suggest to take a break, get a good tutor (there are several really good online tutors, though they are not free), practice for a month or two (depending on how much you need to improve) and then give the test. It would be a waste of time and money to continuously take the test without being able to find and correct the problem which is holding you back from getting your desired score.

There is also a FB page where the admins give free reviews for the writing tasks you post on the page. The group's name is "IELTS Tips & Tricks", do check it out.

All the best!