+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Withdrawn criminal charges and fingerprint request

angelbegazzo

May 9, 2018
Hi, I was charged with domestic violence upto 10 charges which were subsequently withdrawn by the crown. Here is my time line in chronological order:

Applied for citizenship: October 11, 2017
Charged and arrested: December 18, 2017
Notice to appear for citizenship test: April 10, 2018
All charges withdrawn: April 19, 2018
Citizenship test: May 1, 2018 (Scarborough)
Finger print request: May 4, 2018

I cleared my citizenship test (18/20) and i have now received a request for my fingerprints. My finger prints are still on file, I have started the deletion of records process but that takes a while.

My question is: will the criminal charges based on the above timeline delay/cancel my citizenship process? Any help is appreciated.

Psalm91

Star Member
Jul 2, 2013
Hi, I was charged with domestic violence upto 10 charges which were subsequently withdrawn by the crown. Here is my time line in chronological order:

I cleared my citizenship test (18/20) and i have now received a request for my fingerprints. My finger prints are still on file, I have started the deletion of records process but that takes a while.

My question is: will the criminal charges based on the above timeline delay/cancel my citizenship process? Any help is appreciated.

If all charges was withdrawn it will not cancel your citizenship, Might affect the timeline because IRCC will have to make sure that the case was withdrawn, If you are on probation then IRCC will not make decision on your file until the Probation period is over. You will be fine if it was withdrawn. as for the finger print and photo deletion that will take at least a year to be destroyed.

angelbegazzo

May 9, 2018
If all charges was withdrawn it will not cancel your citizenship, Might affect the timeline because IRCC will have to make sure that the case was withdrawn, If you are on probation then IRCC will not make decision on your file until the Probation period is over. You will be fine if it was withdrawn. as for the finger print and photo deletion that will take at least a year to be destroyed.
Thanks a lot for your reply. I am not sure if this constitutes a 'misrepresentation' though as i did not inform them about the charges while the application was in process. I had many other things on my mind (as you can imagine) and informing CIC was not on my priority list.

I, however just completed my IRCC web form and attached the court documents showing that my charges were withdrawn. Hope that helps.

How much of a delay do you think am looking at?

Psalm91

Star Member
Jul 2, 2013
Thanks a lot for your reply. I am not sure if this constitutes a 'misrepresentation' though as i did not inform them about the charges while the application was in process. I had many other things on my mind (as you can imagine) and informing CIC was not on my priority list.

I, however just completed my IRCC web form and attached the court documents showing that my charges were withdrawn. Hope that helps.

How much of a delay do you think am looking at?

Not informing IRCC when you was charged that i do not know how they are going to handle that part, But at least you sent them the court documents so i guess thats a way of informing them. You also need to understand that whenever IRCC works on file they check applicant information against CPIC or other means of security check to make sure theres no new development. Your name will always have a HIT until the finger print is destroyed. Well good news is that your case was withdrawn which is really good. As for the delay i have no idea, because IRCC will make sure you re totally cleared and will also look into the case, i know of a case, he was actually invited again to explain what happen, even though IRCC knows the case was withdrawn. It all depends on the officer. Until you take the OAT they will always check every applicant to make sure they are still eligible.

angelbegazzo

May 9, 2018
Not informing IRCC when you was charged that i do not know how they are going to handle that part, But at least you sent them the court documents so i guess thats a way of informing them. You also need to understand that whenever IRCC works on file they check applicant information against CPIC or other means of security check to make sure theres no new development. Your name will always have a HIT until the finger print is destroyed. Well good news is that your case was withdrawn which is really good. As for the delay i have no idea, because IRCC will make sure you re totally cleared and will also look into the case, i know of a case, he was actually invited again to explain what happen, even though IRCC knows the case was withdrawn. It all depends on the officer. Until you take the OAT they will always check every applicant to make sure they are still eligible.
Thanks a lot Psalm, hope it works ok.

harshp

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017

Hi can please update your status as I m in same situation I need to sponcer my wife and my ex girlfriend places charges on me ........

harshp

Star Member
Aug 17, 2017

Please update your case as I m facing same situation
Heartily appreciate