+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Withdrawing from courses near the end of term.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My semester started late January, I am a winter intake student so I didnt take any classes in the Fall 2021 term.
So if you dropped classes for Winter, your will have been out of school for more than a year if you restart in September 2022. You are not returning within 150 days. Get a new study permit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I dont know if it helps in my situation but I do have a student record previous to this course. I took 1 year diploma that I completed last Fall. Issue was that the University I am trying to transfer out to doesn't offer my program in the Winter term and I was already completing my diploma so I couldn't make it in time for the Fall 2021 term at that Uni. I chose my current university as a backup option in case I do not get an admission at the other University but my admission has pretty much already been finalized there, all they need is a transcript from my current Uni and don't care about the GPA on it nor if i withdrew from any courses because I have been assessed there as a high school student and not a transfer student.
You will still be considered out of school from when you graduated from your diploma if you withdraw from your university so you’ll need a new study permit because that is over 150 days.

Sheikh Abdullah

Sep 30, 2018
So if you dropped classes for Winter, your will have been out of school for more than a year if you restart in September 2022. You are not returning within 150 days. Get a new study permit.
So my best option would be complete the remaining course then?

Sheikh Abdullah

Sep 30, 2018
You will still be considered out of school from when you graduated from your diploma if you withdraw from your university so you’ll need a new study permit because that is over 150 days.
So my best option would be to just complete the remaining course?

Sheikh Abdullah

Sep 30, 2018
Yes or apply for a new study permit.
What exactly do you mean by applying for a new study permit? Issue is that my application to apply for a new study permit depends on my current term at the Uni I am attending. If I am to withdraw from all my courses, I would be able to instantly send my final transcript to the University I am transferring to and they would send me back a finalized letter of admission with which I could apply for a new study permit.

Sheikh Abdullah

Sep 30, 2018
Got it, the issue is that me getting a new study permit depends on my current term and course at the university I am attending. If I were to withdraw from my courses I would be able to instantly send my transcript to the university I am trying to transfer to and they would send back a finalized letter of admission with which I could apply for a new permit, in that scenario do I get any leniency from the government to allow me to continue on my current study permit until I get a new offer of admission elsewhere?

Sheikh Abdullah

Sep 30, 2018
Also, what if I were to register for some courses in the Summer term and withdraw from my current course? That way if i don't get admission at the university I am trying to transfer to, I can just continue my studies at my current institute. Would that not mean that I would be returning back to my studies before 150 days as my diploma finished in the second half of December last year?

Thoureprot

Oct 6, 2022
Hello,

So I am a current international student kind of stuck in a very specific situation right now. I am currently studying at a University in Canada but I have an offer from a different university for the Fall term of this year and I am considering transferring out to that school after my current term ends in May.

Due to covid, the university is allowing us up till the 25th of April to withdraw from any registered courses without having a final grade issued for those courses. The university that I am transferring to has assessed me based on my high school grades and does not really care about the GPA I get at my current university. I will also be repeating the courses I am taking right now at the other university so I was considering dropping the courses entirely to save myself unnecessary stress.

I have read online that you can take a term off if your DLI authorizes the leave and that you have to return before 150 days, but that is before the term actually starts. I have already attended most of this term and my classes will be ending on the 3rd of May anyways so if I dropped all of my courses before then, would that affect my student status in any negative way considering that the term will already be ending in a few weeks anyway and you are allowed to take the summer term off in any scenario. And if I have to write a term paper, most likely I will not have time to do it and will have to use services like https://ca.edubirdie.com/term-paper-writing-services to close all debts.

Please let me know if anyone has any idea/experience in a familiar situation like mine. Thanks!
This is an extremely interesting situation and as I understand it has not been dealt with before. I am interested in the development of this situation and what the result was. Did you manage to transfer and what difficulties did you encounter.