+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Withdrawal of study permit application- How long does it take to withdraw?

eo93

Star Member
Oct 12, 2020
Hi all,

I have a question about the withdrawal of my application. How long does it take to withdraw my application, and it was shown in my profile? Should I get a letter of approval form IRCC about that?

Would it affect my future application for VISA to Canada?

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
Hi all,

I have a question about the withdrawal of my application. How long does it take to withdraw my application, and it was shown in my profile? Should I get a letter of approval from IRCC about that?

Would it affect my future application for VISA to Canada?
It takes about 2 weeks. You can send them a webform to let them know why you are withdrawing. I believe it shouldn't affect your future applications.

eo93

Star Member
Oct 12, 2020
It takes about 2 weeks. You can send them a webform to let them know why you are withdrawing. I believe it shouldn't affect your future applications.
@Humpholito24 Thank you for your answer. Should it be only "withdrawn" in my profile or there is a confirmation letter for that? Is there any possibility to not accept my request? I want to withdraw my study permit application (2nd Ph.D.) and apply for a postdoc (a work permit).

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
@Humpholito24 Thank you for your answer. Should it be only "withdrawn" in my profile or there is a confirmation letter for that? Is there any possibility to not accept my request? I want to withdraw my study permit application (2nd Ph.D.) and apply for a postdoc (a work permit).
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

The above link, you will select withdrawal of the application. I don't know about the confirmation letter, I have never withdrawn an application, all I know is to give them the reason to withdraw you application and when you apply for work permit, you will explain if need be since it will be on your record (I am not sure)

Reactions: eo93

eo93

Star Member
Oct 12, 2020
@Humpholito24 Thank you for your detailed explanation. It was very helpful. The reason for my withdraw is that I was applied for a study permit for my second Ph.D. I got AIP and there is no update after 8 months. Now, I got a job offer for a postdoc in Canada from a very good university. I want to withdraw the study permit and apply for a work permit. I have some logical reasons for this decision that I can write to explain in my work permit application. How do you think about this procedure? Would it be possible?

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
@Humpholito24 Thank you for your detailed explanation. It was very helpful. The reason for my withdraw is that I was applied for a study permit for my second Ph.D. I got AIP and there is no update after 8 months. Now, I got a job offer for a postdoc in Canada from a very good university. I want to withdraw the study permit and apply for a work permit. I have some logical reasons for this decision that I can write to explain in my work permit application. How do you think about this procedure? Would it be possible?
That sounds valid reason. They will give you your refund then you can submit another application for a work permit.

Reactions: eo93

sidroy09

Jul 26, 2013

I submitted the request via Webform to withdraw my sister's application which by mistake was submitted for Visitor visa instead of Study permit ( not sure how) but its been more than 1 month and still active.
2 weeks ago, we did get the reply for IRCC stating that they have forwarded the request to the admin to withdraw the app and refund the fee but no update since then.
Regardless, last week we have submitted the new application for Study permit.
In short, it could take some time.

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
I submitted the request via Webform to withdraw my sister's application which by mistake was submitted for Visitor visa instead of Study permit ( not sure how) but its been more than 1 month and still active.
2 weeks ago, we did get the reply for IRCC stating that they have forwarded the request to the admin to withdraw the app and refund the fee but no update since then.
I believe it is taking time due to the ongoing pandemic, like study permit applications are taking a longer time to be processed compared to when there was no pandemic. They normally take 2 weeks.

Reactions: sidroy09

eo93

Star Member
Oct 12, 2020
@sidroy09 Before getting the withdrawal approval from your Visitor Visa, have you submitted the study permit application? Is it possible? Is there a possibility of rejection because of having two applications at the same time?

eo93

Star Member
Oct 12, 2020
@sidroy09 Hi. Did your sister get the withdrawal correspondence? Or you are still waiting for withdrawal?

sankysn

Jun 3, 2021
@sidroy, How much time does it usually take to withdraw ? Does the online portal say "you have withdrawn" your application ? After how many days did it get updated.

sidroy09

Jul 26, 2013
@sidroy, How much time does it usually take to withdraw ? Does the online portal say "you have withdrawn" your application ? After how many days did it get updated.
We submitted the Webform and it look almost 1 month. Online Webform has the request type as 'Withdraw application'