+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Withdrawal of application as refugee claimant

Janna2020

Jun 12, 2020
Good day to all!
My friend has a pending application as a refugee claimant, he has a pr gf here in canada and they had a child. His case as refugee is hopeless as his consultant or counsel died recently. His partner wants to sponsor him under common-law partner.
My question is, what will happen if he withdraw his application as refugee claimant and pursue the application for sponsorship? Will he still received a departure order?
I hope someone will enlighten us. Thank you in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good day to all!
My friend has a pending application as a refugee claimant, he has a pr gf here in canada and they had a child. His case as refugee is hopeless as his consultant or counsel died recently. His partner wants to sponsor him under common-law partner.
My question is, what will happen if he withdraw his application as refugee claimant and pursue the application for sponsorship? Will he still received a departure order?
I hope someone will enlighten us. Thank you in advance.
Don't withdraw. Yes, this will activate the departure order. Assuming he is either married or common law, have the gf submit the sponsorship application. That application will likely take around a year to process. Don't withdraw the refugee application until PR is approved through spousal Sponsorship.

Reactions: sohaib1

ref19to22

May 18, 2022
I agree with @scylla do not withdraw your refugee application under any circumstance unless you have CONFIRMED another route for immigration (ie. when sponsorship/PR is approved through sponsorship or another means). Also your friend can find another lawyer through Legal Aid if they are eligible for that. I would also find a free legal advice clinic to further guide your friend (like The519 in Toronto).

Reactions: scylla

Janna2020

Jun 12, 2020
Thank you for all the replies.. what if they will withdraw the the application for refugee after they submit their application for sponsorship, will it hold the departure order? The application for refugee is alread in RPD and he already have a schedule of hearing next month.

ref19to22

May 18, 2022
Thank you for all the replies.. what if they will withdraw the the application for refugee after they submit their application for sponsorship, will it hold the departure order? The application for refugee is alread in RPD and he already have a schedule of hearing next month.
I believe submitting a sponsorship application will not hold a a departure order

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Bad idea. The sponsorship application doesn't automatically hold the departure order. People can still be removed under these circumstances. As already said, keep the refugee application active until PR is approved through spousal sponsorship.

Reactions: ref19to22