+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

withdraw PR application

satz0852

Dec 9, 2017
withdraw PR application

ITA - Aug 23 2017,
AOR - Oct 9
PPR - Dec 19

I am in Canada on work permit. I am getting married on 3rd week of Feb and I want to get my spouse here the earliest. After contacting CIC, I got to know that, I do not have time to wait for next 60+ days to add my spouse.

But I don't want to get PR first and then sponsor my spouse because it is going to take 12 months for my spouse to get here. And she does'nt have Visitor visa. If she applies now, the chances of approval are average. And I do not want to take risk.

So, I asked CIC, what are the options I have, they mentioned, I can withdraw the application and then get my spouse here on Work Permit quicker and then once she is here, we both can apply together.

But to withdraw my application, I have to follow withdrawal procedure, in which I have to mention the reason for withdrawal.

I am not sure, if my withdrawal will get approved, if I mention this (That I want to get my spouse here the earliest and if I get PR, it would take 12 months on sponsorship to get my spouse here) as a reason.

Can anyone tell me what are the chances of getting the withdrawal approved? If this reason is not valid enough, can you guys please give your suggestion.
Your time will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
DON'T WITHDRAW YOUR APPLICATION. Do the following:
1. Don't do the landing before marriage.
2. Get married.
3. Add your wife to your PR application and return CoPR before landing.
In the meantime, collect your wife's documents: PCC, passport, photo, and even medicals. On average, it is a 2-4 months process.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakev and satz0852

Pr_qa

Feb 26, 2016
withdraw PR application

ITA - Aug 23 2017,
AOR - Oct 9
PPR - Dec 19

I am in Canada on work permit. I am getting married on 3rd week of Feb and I want to get my spouse here the earliest. After contacting CIC, I got to know that, I do not have time to wait for next 60+ days to add my spouse.

But I don't want to get PR first and then sponsor my spouse because it is going to take 12 months for my spouse to get here. And she does'nt have Visitor visa. If she applies now, the chances of approval are average. And I do not want to take risk.

So, I asked CIC, what are the options I have, they mentioned, I can withdraw the application and then get my spouse here on Work Permit quicker and then once she is here, we both can apply together.

But to withdraw my application, I have to follow withdrawal procedure, in which I have to mention the reason for withdrawal.

I am not sure, if my withdrawal will get approved, if I mention this (That I want to get my spouse here the earliest and if I get PR, it would take 12 months on sponsorship to get my spouse here) as a reason.

Can anyone tell me what are the chances of getting the withdrawal approved? If this reason is not valid enough, can you guys please give your suggestion.
Thanks.
It is not taking 12 months to get spouse PR, if you are PR applicant. My friends got their spouse PR within 6 to 7 months and If you have applied PR for spouse, in mean time you can apply work permit for her while PR is in progress.

satz0852

Dec 9, 2017
DON'T WITHDRAW YOUR APPLICATION. Do the following:
1. Don't do the landing before marriage.
2. Get married.
3. Add your wife to your PR application and return CoPR before landing.
In the meantime, collect your wife's documents: PCC, passport, photo, and even medicals. On average, it is a 2-4 months process.
Good luck!
I spoke with IRCC customer agent, he said that I would be denied landing and there are also chances that I would be denied entry in to Canada (I am very skeptical about this and don't believe this would happen), if I get passport stamped, and enter with change in Marital status change.

So, you are basically telling me to add my spouse in my PR application itself right (Correct me if I am wrong) ? .

If I send my passport and get stamped, basically my application is completed eh? Is it possible to add my spouse after this ?

Last edited:

satz0852

Dec 9, 2017
It is not taking 12 months to get spouse PR, if you are PR applicant. My friends got their spouse PR within 6 to 7 months and If you have applied PR for spouse, in mean time you can apply work permit for her while PR is in progress.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Note: I will not be an applicant if I don't withdraw. I would be a PR (if I do landing before marriage). Are you saying that your friends were able to get spouse sponsorship done with 6-7 months ?

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
I spoke with IRCC customer agent, he said that I would be denied landing and there are also chances that I would be denied entry in to Canada (I am very skeptical about this and don't believe this would happen), if I get passport stamped, and enter with change in Marital status change.

So, you are basically telling me to add my spouse in my PR application itself right ?
Yes if you get married before landing, you can add your spouse to your PR and return the COPR stamp that has single status and have a new one stamp with married status. That way you won't be denied landing.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
I just read your other post. Here are more information and cautious:
1- Since you will get married in India, you should send an email to add your wife right away after marriage.
2- Don't go back to Canada (even with your wife on any kind of temporary visa) before reopening your PR application and adding your wife. If you didn't do so, that will cause you many problems including not being able to sponsor your wife ever and revoking your PR.
3- Prepare all documents including marriage certificate asap and wait for further instructions from IRCC after asking to add your spouse.
In this case, you will go back using your work permit not the CoPR.
The bottom line is don't land after marriage using your current CoPR.
Good Luck!

Reactions: satz0852

satz0852

Dec 9, 2017
Yes if you get married before landing, you can add your spouse to your PR and return the COPR stamp that has single status and have a new one stamp with married status. That way you won't be denied landing.
In my understanding and based on what agent said "Landing" means entering Canada with PR stamp and becoming landed immigrant (Permanent Resident).

Can you please tell me what do you mean when you say "I won't be denied landing".

satz0852

Dec 9, 2017
I just read your other post. Here are more information and cautious:
1- Since you will get married in India, you should send an email to add your wife right away after marriage.
2- Don't go back to Canada (even with your wife on any kind of temporary visa) before reopening your PR application and adding your wife. If you didn't do so, that will cause you many problems including not being able to sponsor your wife ever and revoking your PR.
3- Prepare all documents including marriage certificate asap and wait for further instructions from IRCC after asking to add your spouse.
In this case, you will go back using your work permit not the CoPR.
The bottom line is don't land after marriage using your current CoPR.
Good Luck!
Hi,

Thanks for reply. It is confusing me here because even here the replies are very contradicting. Have you or anyone you know have gone through similar things ? And just wanted to mention that the IRCC agent mentioned exactly what you said.

How can I reopen my application when I already CoPR ? Is it possible ?

Last edited:

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
In my understanding and based on what agent said "Landing" means entering Canada with PR stamp and becoming landed immigrant (Permanent Resident).

Can you please tell me what do you mean when you say "I won't be denied landing".
When you land, CBSA will ask the following questions:

1. Are you single?
2. Do you have any outstanding criminal charges
3. What is your current job (if applicable)

If you answer yes to the are you single question, they will deny your landing and will tell you to update your status with CIC and have a new COPR stamp.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
Hi,

Thanks for reply. It is confusing me here because even here the replies are very contradicting. Have you or anyone you know have gone through similar things ? And just wanted to mention that the IRCC agent mentioned exactly what you said.
I don't personally know someone who went through this. But in the forum you can see only two scenarios:
1- Applicant gets married and land using the CoPR as single then try to sponsor his/her spouse: The application is refused and he will never be able to sponsor the spouse and some cases PR is revoked due to misrepresentation.
2- Applicant gets married, contact IRCC to report the change: Gets response to return send the spouse's documents and return the CoPR which will be canceled. Then, the application gets reopend and the spouse is added with no issues.
So, if you follow route 2, only then the CoPR will be cancelled and you will be able to use your current permit to go back to Canada.
Good Luck!

satz0852

Dec 9, 2017
I don't personally know someone who went through this. But in the forum you can see only two scenarios:
1- Applicant gets married and land using the CoPR as single then try to sponsor his/her spouse: The application is refused and he will never be able to sponsor the spouse and some cases PR is revoked due to misrepresentation.
2- Applicant gets married, contact IRCC to report the change: Gets response to return send the spouse's documents and return the CoPR which will be canceled. Then, the application gets reopend and the spouse is added with no issues.
So, if you follow route 2, only then the CoPR will be cancelled and you will be able to use your current permit to go back to Canada.
Good Luck!
All right thanks. So my understanding is

1. Don't land before marriage,
2. Report the marriage, before I land (which is just after marriage and when I am in India)

And here is my questions

1. When I am in India, how can I return the CoPR for cancelling ? (I would be coming back to Canada in 10 days after marriage)
2. When they stamp the CoPR now if I send the passport, won't they cancel my work permit visa? If they do, that would make me in-admissible in to Canada right ?

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
You will get the instructions once you inform IRCC with the changes. However, I think 10 days is a short period and there is a high chance that you will not get a response before you leave. I would recommend that you don't leave India before you hear back from IRCC.
What you can do is:
i- Contact your local visa office right now and explain the situation and see what their response it. You may also ask about if they will cancel your current visas (which I doubt).
ii- If they still ask you to send the passport for stamping, go ahead and send it. Then, send the email to inform IRCC with the marriage may be two or three weeks before marriage so that you get a response early. You will get a list of documents you will need to prepare. Collect all of them before marriage. Once you get married, get the marriage certificate asap and upload all documents before you leave India.
Good Luck!

snasir123

Star Member
Feb 6, 2017
Hi There,

I need help and opinion of experts please.

I have applied my PR through AINP on a Paper Base application and got my AOR in Feb, linked my application as well on cic.

Right now I am the main applicant and my spouse is a dependent. Unfortunately, things did not work out btw us and we are having a Divorce. Since Marriage was registered in PAKISTAN, and we both hold Pakistani passports divorce laws are going to be followed of Pakistan. So far, I only sent a divorce deed notice to spouse address and to Union Council. It will take around three months of the process to get the Divorce Certificate from the Union Council to make it legally seperated.

My concern is should I tell CiC right now to remove my spouse( dependent) from my PR file or should I wait until I get the Divorce certificate from Pakistan ? If I tell right now they will ask for the legally separated document which will I get in next three months. But, If I wait to get the certificate what If I get a call for Medical of me and my spouse ? Please give some opinions.

My timeline is : PR paper based application thru AINP got AOR Feb 05, 2017 profile linked with CiC and waiting for Medical now.

Any help would be highly appreciated

Sep 24, 2018
withdraw PR application

ITA - Aug 23 2017,
AOR - Oct 9
PPR - Dec 19

Thanks.
Hi. I'm in a similar situation right now as that of yours. I've already submitted a withdrawal request of my PR application through IRCC form. Could you please share on your story? Did you withdraw your application and resubmitted your express entry profile. Could you also please share on procedure on how you processed your spouse's work permit and visitor visa ?