+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Withdraw Passport Amidst Processing

A.Naji

Mar 5, 2015
Hi,
Been around a month since my application was submitted. At this point, I am in an urgent need to retrieve my passport back. There is no telling when a visa decision will be made, and I can sense it will be a while.
Reasons aside, I want to know how long will it take to get it back. I am informed by my local center that it should be a minimum of 5 days; but I shouldn't be optimistic about that -- what's the average, what's the maximum?

Note that, the embassy in question is located in my place of residence -- if that would cause any form of delays.
I will NEED to have the passport with me by next month precisely at most, would you recommend I request it back already?

Thanks

dino_choc

Star Member
Jun 13, 2015
What type of application it is and where your Visa office is located? How did you submit your application i.e. through VFS?

Usually, they ask you to submit your passport after some final decision has been made on your application after medical requirement is fulfilled and they return your passport within a week or so. I don't understand why keeping passport for a month. Who told you to submit passport at the beginning of application submission?

A.Naji

Mar 5, 2015
If it makes a difference, then it's as follows:

It's an application for a Study Permit.
It has been lodged through the VAC In Saudi Arabia, Riyadh -- VFS.
Part of the procedure was to submit your original passport; I'm unsure myself why would they need the original when they have the copied documents they requested..but yeah, procedures.
I was not contacted by a case officer or so since my lodgement; I'm not notified about anything significant yet.

dino_choc

Star Member
Jun 13, 2015
This is what I found so far:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=439&t=16

So basically go and tell the staff you need your passport urgently and also check your application status first.

GTO911

Nov 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC - Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-10-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
16-10-2015
Med's Done....
28-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
Very Soon
LANDED..........
Soon
A.Naji said:
Part of the procedure was to submit your original passport; I'm unsure myself why would they need the original when they have the copied documents they requested..but yeah, procedures.
What would they stamp your visa on, xerox copy?

A.Naji

Mar 5, 2015
GTO911 said:
What would they stamp your visa on, xerox copy?
I honestly would expect the stamp to come from the application center once the decision has been made; I'll just have to make the visit.

Anyways, I was asking if there are people experienced with the duration of this thing. I am unsure how it will affect my process, so I don't want to rush.

dino_choc

Star Member
Jun 13, 2015
Just wait and be patient. They take a little bit of time processing applications especially when if you have submitted lot of docs. Also, keep checking with the local office regarding status of your application. There should be some sort of way (phone/email, etc.) to find out what's going on.