+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

With a COPR of category IM-1 can I have a layover in Vancouver when my COPR destination is Toronto?

DTP

Oct 19, 2019
My Canadian Permanent residency COPR states that the destination should be in Toronto. I'm travelling from Australia with a Sri Lankan passport and my flight has a layover in Vancouver and then Toronto ( I couldn't find any direct flights to Toronto for the dates I wanted). Will it be an issue if arrive first at Vancouver (as a Transit) and then arriving at Toronto (End destination in my flight detail is Toronto)? Will it create complications because i'm technically arriving at a different city. Please advise. Thank you heaps!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My Canadian Permanent residency COPR states that the destination should be in Toronto. I'm travelling from Australia with a Sri Lankan passport and my flight has a layover in Vancouver and then Toronto ( I couldn't find any direct flights to Toronto for the dates I wanted). Will it be an issue if arrive first at Vancouver (as a Transit) and then arriving at Toronto (End destination in my flight detail is Toronto)? Will it create complications because i'm technically arriving at a different city. Please advise. Thank you heaps!
No, it won't create any problems. You will do your landing in Vancouver, so make sure you leave a long enough layover for that.

DTP

Oct 19, 2019
No, it won't create any problems. You will do your landing in Vancouver, so make sure you leave a long enough layover for that.
Thanks for the reply!

But, my layover is just 1.5 hours. Won't I be able to go to my destination - Toronto and get the process done?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks for the reply!

But, my layover is just 1.5 hours. Won't I be able to go to my destination - Toronto and get the process done?
You have to clear Canada immigration/customs at the first point or entry into Canada so Vancouver given the flight to Toronto will be a domestic sector so no immigration on arrival at Toronto.

Generally recommended you should allow minimum of 3 hours in case there is a line of people doing the same thing even though in reality could take less but 90 minutes might be very tight., Also depends on time of day how many other arrivals coming in at same time..

http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/navigate-yvr/passenger-guides

Last edited:

DTP

Oct 19, 2019
So just to be clear, I would not need to apply for a transit visa or anything similar throughout the journey? I can simply use my COPR and passport?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So just to be clear, I would not need to apply for a transit visa or anything similar throughout the journey? I can simply use my COPR and passport?
You should have a TRV in your passport.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
If you enter Canada is a visitor (using TRV or transit visa), then I am not sure how you will be able to complete PR landing in Toronto. I think you should just change your itinerary to have a longer layover time in Vancouver to allow for landing formalities. Otherwise you can also take your chances with the shorter layover. The airline may put you on the next flight to Toronto if you miss your scheduled one.

You can certainly complete PR landing in Vancouver even if your final destination is Toronto.