+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wiring money before Landing

hybrid

Nov 11, 2015
Hello,

I'm landing in 2 weeks, and I'm still confused on how to take money with me (POF).
I don't want to hold the money in cash, so I'm wondering if I can wire the money, I think RBC bank offer such a thing before landing.

Anyone have any idea? Or how did you safely take money with you?

hybrid

Nov 11, 2015
dan_and said:
You can just bring bank statements from your bank abroad. You can get them stamped if you want to be really thorough.

There is no need to physically carry the money or to have it in Canada before you arrive. What matters is that you have access to it.
Thank you. I didn't know I can take a bank statement.

I've been under the impression that I should have the money ready the moment I land.

moose83

Star Member
Aug 3, 2013
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25th Feb 2016
AOR Received.
25th Feb 2016
Med's Done....
27th Feb 2016
You can open a Canadian Bank Account from your home country (For Example - Scotia). Put all your money in it and land with a passbook and a credit card.

CWilson

Star Member
May 5, 2015
Yep, what others have said. I recently landed and just used recently bank statements as POF, accepted with no problems

hybrid

Nov 11, 2015
Awesome,

Thank you guys for the answers. I'll get a recent bank statement and take it with me. And then wire the money after I land.

Realben

Nov 21, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-03-2016
Doc's Request.
25-04-2016 (sch. A provided 29-04)
AOR Received.
15-03-2016
Med's Done....
30-03-2016 (passed)
Passport Req..
13-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
Visa exempt
hybrid said:
Thank you. I didn't know I can take a bank statement.

I've been under the impression that I should have the money ready the moment I land.
I don't think so, plus remember that if you carry more than 10 000 CAD (or equivalent in foreign currency, in cash, bonds, stock or whatever form) you have to declare it and fill in special forms for the officers to check that it is not illegal money financing illegal activities...
I wouldn't recommend to carry a lot of money with you.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Realben said:
I don't think so, plus remember that if you carry more than 10 000 CAD (or equivalent in foreign currency, in cash, bonds, stock or whatever form) you have to declare it and fill in special forms for the officers to check that it is not illegal money financing illegal activities...
I wouldn't recommend to carry a lot of money with you.
I went through it. It's really not that big of a deal. The officer asked questions, filled out the form, made me sign, that was it. Didn't even inspect my funds, only went by my verbal declaration.

The most cost-effective way, IMO, to bring money in is to get a bank draft in CAD from your home country and then deposit it upon opening an account in Canada. I brought along the receipt, and the draft was cleared instantly even when the draft's issuing bank was different.

When you wire, it would cost roughly $15 each at both sending and receiving banks, but a few banks would refund the transfer fee on their side for new immigrant packages.