+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Windsor Citizenship applicants

windsam2022

Sep 25, 2022
Hi, Me and my family are in the process of Canada citizenship application and I got a question regarding travelling to India in the middle of citizenship application.

City - Windsor
Applied for citizenship - July 2022
Received the email to take citizenship test on Sept 22 2022. We have time till Oct 13 to take the citizenship test. Plan to take test around Oct 1st week.

I have already planned vacation to India which cannot be cancelled. My original travel dates are - travelling on last week of November to India and return to Canada on Jan 1st week.

Got below questions

1) What is the average interval between citizenship test and getting email to take oath ceremony ? Is it 2 to 3 months ?
2) Once we get email to take oath, do we have 3 weeks time to take oath ? So even if I get email while i am in India, I can shorten the vacation and return to Canada to take oath.
3) Can I go to India for vacation between test and oath ? Is it ok to travel during this time.
4) In the worst case, can I reschedule the oath ceremony ? But I am hoping to get back to Canada before oath without changing the date.

I do not want to postpone India vacation to after oath because it will be a long delay to travel.

Thank you

Jas4rmny

Star Member
Feb 9, 2021
Montreal
Category........
Other
Has anyone received in person interview at Windsor office? If yes then was oath taken at the same time as well?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi, Me and my family are in the process of Canada citizenship application and I got a question regarding travelling to India in the middle of citizenship application.

City - Windsor
Applied for citizenship - July 2022
Received the email to take citizenship test on Sept 22 2022. We have time till Oct 13 to take the citizenship test. Plan to take test around Oct 1st week.

I have already planned vacation to India which cannot be cancelled. My original travel dates are - travelling on last week of November to India and return to Canada on Jan 1st week.

Got below questions

1) What is the average interval between citizenship test and getting email to take oath ceremony ? Is it 2 to 3 months ?
2) Once we get email to take oath, do we have 3 weeks time to take oath ? So even if I get email while i am in India, I can shorten the vacation and return to Canada to take oath.
3) Can I go to India for vacation between test and oath ? Is it ok to travel during this time.
4) In the worst case, can I reschedule the oath ceremony ? But I am hoping to get back to Canada before oath without changing the date.

I do not want to postpone India vacation to after oath because it will be a long delay to travel.

Thank you
1) Its difficult to guess. Varies between office to office.
2) You get an exact oath date on the tracker and later you get an email with details on how to join the oath ceremony. The Oath date update on the tracker and actual oath ceremony can vary from 1 week to a month. Again depends on the office.
3) People have completed Test in June and got Oath in Oct, so travelling should be ok.
4) The oath email that you receive, you can reply to that and they will reschedule it once you back in Canada. Generally you have to send them proof of being back in Canada like boarding pass etc. Keep checking the tracker once in India and take decision accordingly.

windsam2022

Sep 25, 2022
1) Its difficult to guess. Varies between office to office.
2) You get an exact oath date on the tracker and later you get an email with details on how to join the oath ceremony. The Oath date update on the tracker and actual oath ceremony can vary from 1 week to a month. Again depends on the office.
3) People have completed Test in June and got Oath in Oct, so travelling should be ok.
4) The oath email that you receive, you can reply to that and they will reschedule it once you back in Canada. Generally you have to send them proof of being back in Canada like boarding pass etc. Keep checking the tracker once in India and take decision accordingly.
Got it. Thank you for your reply. Really appreciate your response.

ctr

Jan 27, 2018
Is Windsor still slow in processing applications? I was planning on applying next week but I'll also be moving in a month's time. Just wondering if it's worth waiting and applying with the new address if it saves time overall. I know I can change address after moving but I've seen that also causing delays.

mechfreak

Sep 25, 2017
Is Windsor still slow in processing applications? I was planning on applying next week but I'll also be moving in a month's time. Just wondering if it's worth waiting and applying with the new address if it saves time overall. I know I can change address after moving but I've seen that also causing delays.
It depends on what according to you is slow :), the reason I say that is because I am typically seeing citizenship applications from Windsor being processed in approx. 10 months now on an average from start to finish, having said that its possible that if you are relocating to Mississauga or Scarborough the processing times might be a little quicker or could be slower too, its hard to say for sure, since processing really depends on the complexity of every application

harpreethwalia

Star Member
Dec 27, 2017
Hi Harpreet,

Can you please share your timeline?
Application Received/AOR: Jan 6, 2022
Mar 28, 2022: Citizenship Test
Apr 1, 2022: Scheduled for Test
Apr 12, 2022: Citizenship test completed
Apr 25, 2022: Fingerprints Required
May 24, 2022: Fingerprints results received
May 25, 2022: Background verification
Aug 4, 2022: Language, Physical Presence, Prohibitions all completed
Sep 8, 2022: Citizenship Oath
Sep 9, 2022: Citizenship Oath Scheduled
Oct 14, 2022: Citizenship Oath Completed (Application closed. Canadian Citizen.)

Reactions: VOBuckeye

harpreethwalia

Star Member
Dec 27, 2017
Just want to add our in-person passport application experience in Windsor office (in case anyone is looking for it)

1) Me and my spouse went to Windsor passport in-person on Oct 26, 2022.
2) We reached early, around 10:00-10:30 am. There were only few people there.
3) We were called at one the windows where one officer verified all our docs. Please remember that if you have any kids, you need to bring their BIRTH CERTIFICATE and everyone's COPR.
4) Once all verified, we were given a token number. Our number came in another 30 mins.
5) The officer at window re-verified all our docs. We wanted urgent processing (as we had an event in US). This is where we had little discussion as the officer was not willing to go ahead with urgent. She got into cross questioning (Why do you need to go, do you have visa to go, the system is very stressed, show us travel proof). My daughter is US citizen, so she said she can travel with US passport. I had a US visa, so she said you can travel on your visa. Since my wife did not had US visa, she took her for urgent processing. She said you guys can print your Canadian Certificate when returning to Canada. She did asked for travel proof which we showed. (May be it was just that officer but this was our experience. )
6) We paid our fees and my wife picked up her passport next day.

Reactions: mechfreak

harpreethwalia

Star Member
Dec 27, 2017
Just want to add our in-person passport application experience in Windsor office (in case anyone is looking for it)

1) Me and my spouse went to Windsor passport in-person on Oct 26, 2022.
2) We reached early, around 10:00-10:30 am. There were only few people there.
3) We were called at one the windows where one officer verified all our docs. Please remember that if you have any kids, you need to bring their BIRTH CERTIFICATE and everyone's COPR.
4) Once all verified, we were given a token number. Our number came in another 30 mins.
5) The officer at window re-verified all our docs. We wanted urgent processing (as we had an event in US). This is where we had little discussion as the officer was not willing to go ahead with urgent. She got into cross questioning (Why do you need to go, do you have visa to go, the system is very stressed, show us travel proof). My daughter is US citizen, so she said she can travel with US passport. I had a US visa, so she said you can travel on your visa. Since my wife did not had US visa, she took her for urgent processing. She said you guys can print your Canadian Certificate when returning to Canada. She did asked for travel proof which we showed. (May be it was just that officer but this was our experience. )
6) We paid our fees and my wife picked up her passport next day.
Just want to add here that we received our passports as well. The passport took around 2 weeks.

Reactions: mechfreak

Canada@123

Mar 25, 2018
Application Received/AOR: Jan 6, 2022
Mar 28, 2022: Citizenship Test
Apr 1, 2022: Scheduled for Test
Apr 12, 2022: Citizenship test completed
Apr 25, 2022: Fingerprints Required
May 24, 2022: Fingerprints results received
May 25, 2022: Background verification
Aug 4, 2022: Language, Physical Presence, Prohibitions all completed
Sep 8, 2022: Citizenship Oath
Sep 9, 2022: Citizenship Oath Scheduled
Oct 14, 2022: Citizenship Oath Completed (Application closed. Canadian Citizen.)
Great. It took about 10 months for you. Congrats.

Reactions: harpreethwalia

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....