Aug 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
Hello! Congrats again for becoming a Canadian citizen.

Can you please share us your Oath experience.
I am going to attend my oath in a few weeks, and I want to get ready for that special day.

Anyway, did the officers check all the original documents you brought during the oath?
I know for sure they will check the original COPR and PR cards, but how about the passports and other supporting docs that we submitted and brought during the interview?

And another point, how long did it take for the ceremony to take place? An hour, two hours?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Hi Sparkling,

Thank you. We brought our COPRs, PR Cards, invitation letter and media release form. No other items were requested, and we didn't bring them in with us. (our passports, etc. we left in the car just in case, but it was unnecessary).

They call you in by numerical order (the number in the lower right corner of the address block on your oath invite.) They took our PR cards, and stamped our COPRs with the notation that we were no longer permanent residents.

We arrived at 12:45 for our 13:00 appearance time, oath ceremony started at 14:00, and we were done by 15:00.

Good luck and enjoy the experience!

Reactions: Sparkling

Sparkling

Star Member
May 13, 2015
Hi Sparkling,

Thank you. We brought our COPRs, PR Cards, invitation letter and media release form. No other items were requested, and we didn't bring them in with us. (our passports, etc. we left in the car just in case, but it was unnecessary).

They call you in by numerical order (the number in the lower right corner of the address block on your oath invite.) They took our PR cards, and stamped our COPRs with the notation that we were no longer permanent residents.

We arrived at 12:45 for our 13:00 appearance time, oath ceremony started at 14:00, and we were done by 15:00.

Hi 2_of_5,

Thank you very much for your reply!

I will share my experience after my ceremony.

Good luck to all the rest of the applicants! We will all get there soon!

Blue Bird

Nov 21, 2017
Hi Sparkling,

Hi, 2_of_5
would you please share your experience with the Canadian passport, when we are able to apply,

2_of_5

Aug 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
Hi, 2_of_5
would you please share your experience with the Canadian passport, when we are able to apply,
Wait two business days then you should be OK to apply for a passport. Our oath was on a Wednesday, I was at the passport office Friday. They scan your citizenship certificate bar code to make sure you are in the system

My passport application went in Friday morning, and I picked it up the following Thursday. (I paid for express processing since I have to travel for work tomorrow).

Good luck!

Blue Bird

Nov 21, 2017
Wait two business days then you should be OK to apply for a passport. Our oath was on a Wednesday, I was at the passport office Friday. They scan your citizenship certificate bar code to make sure you are in the system

My passport application went in Friday morning, and I picked it up the following Thursday. (I paid for express processing since I have to travel for work tomorrow).

Good luck!
Thank you so much for your reply, wish you all best

Sparkling

Star Member
May 13, 2015

Good luck!
Hi again, 2_of_5,

Do we need to book an appointment to apply for a passport or walk in is fine?

And does it take time to apply or submit application, or is there a long queue when applying for a passport. Sorry if I keep on asking for the duration of processing these documents, coz I have to request for time off from work everytime I need to attend to these matters.

Thanks and looking forward to your reply.

2_of_5

Aug 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
Hi again, 2_of_5,

Do we need to book an appointment to apply for a passport or walk in is fine?

And does it take time to apply or submit application, or is there a long queue when applying for a passport. Sorry if I keep on asking for the duration of processing these documents, coz I have to request for time off from work everytime I need to attend to these matters.

Thanks and looking forward to your reply.
Walk in is the only option. When I went it took me about an hour and a half start to finish. You get a number assigned when you check in, then you have a seat and wait. Overall it wasn’t bad. Time just depends. My wife went later that same day and was done in about 20 minutes.

Sparkling

Star Member
May 13, 2015
Walk in is the only option. When I went it took me about an hour and a half start to finish. You get a number assigned when you check in, then you have a seat and wait. Overall it wasn’t bad. Time just depends. My wife went later that same day and was done in about 20 minutes.
Thank you!
What Canadian Travel document did you present? As per requirement, we need to provide one. Since the PR card will be collected during our oath, I won't have any other Canadian travel document to present. Can I use my country's old passport instead?

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you!
What Canadian Travel document did you present? As per requirement, we need to provide one. Since the PR card will be collected during our oath, I won't have any other Canadian travel document to present. Can I use my country's old passport instead?
For 1st time Passport applicant, you do not need to provide Canadian Travel Document. Where do you see the requirement to provide one?

For passport renewals, you provide previous passport details.

Sparkling

Star Member
May 13, 2015
For 1st time Passport applicant, you do not need to provide Canadian Travel Document. Where do you see the requirement to provide one?

For passport renewals, you provide previous passport details.
Hello rajmalhotra7,

Actually, I just read it on the form that I downloaded on their website -> Form PPTC 153A (08-07) M02. General Information and Instruction, item #3 on page 3. And on the application form, item #3 on page 2.

But if this is not required for first time applicants, then it's fine. I don't need to worry about it then. Thank you for the heads up!

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello rajmalhotra7,

Actually, I just read it on the form that I downloaded on their website -> Form PPTC 153A (08-07) M02. General Information and Instruction, item #3 on page 3. And on the application form, item #3 on page 2.

But if this is not required for first time applicants, then it's fine. I don't need to worry about it then. Thank you for the heads up!
In the actual passport application form, there is a section 3 on page 2 about previous Canadian Travel document. You can click No to it.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/passport/forms/pdf/pptc153.pdf

vnca

Nov 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 13 2011,
Doc's Request.
n/a
AOR Received.
PER on 5th oct 2011, AOR from NDVO:14th Nov 2011
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
05th oct 2011
Med's Request
24/03/2012
Med's Done....
11/04/2012, Medical sent to LVO - 25/05/12, ecas update - 28/06/12
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06 July2012,Delivered on 24 Aug 2012
VISA ISSUED...
8th Feb 2013
LANDED..........
April 2013
Hi,
Yesterday did our test and interview at Windsor. It was really a great experience.
Test was easy and it was not at all tough as I expected. if you have knowledge from book you can answer well. We both got 20/20.
Interview went very smooth. Officer was very friendly and asked couple of questions like where do u work? Etc..I was bit nervous because my spouse daily cross the border for work. When we submitted our application, my spouse submitted a letter declaring that he cross the border for work daily and authorised to verify with CBSA. He did not add daily trips dates in physical presence as we may need to fill too many pages. There was no problem. Few other questions and mainly verified the stamping dates from passport. Officer convinced with answers and informed us you are moving to next stage.

Today my ecas changed to decision made. Thank god. Best of luck for all.