+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will working from home count as experience in Canada?

anash

Sep 2, 2020
Hi . I am working in Canada with valid work permit . Recently I travelled to India and stayed in Indian for 1 yr, working from home with same Canadian company. I returned to Canada since I am employed with same company. Now I am planning to apply for PR under express entry . Will the experience that I stayed outside Canada counts as Canadian experience ?

powerssdd

Aug 4, 2019
Why not?
You will submit your paystubs and employment letter to IRCC, and none of them shows that you were outside Canada.

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Work experience has to have been acquired in Canada to count as Canadian work exp.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html

If you don’t want to believe the official site, you can search for the topic on the forum, and see numerous threads. Remote work from outside Canada does not count as Canadian exp, even if it was for a Canadian employer.

Besides, your address history which you’d submit with your application would show you were outside Canada at that time anyway.

Of course, you could always listen to clowns on the imternet that would tell you otherwise. Good luck.

Mike0921

May 5, 2021
Work experience has to have been acquired in Canada to count as Canadian work exp.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/experience/qualifying-work-experience.html

If you don’t want to believe the official site, you can search for the topic on the forum, and see numerous threads. Remote work from outside Canada does not count as Canadian exp, even if it was for a Canadian employer.

Besides, your address history which you’d submit with your application would show you were outside Canada at that time anyway.

Of course, you could always listen to clowns on the imternet that would tell you otherwise. Good luck.
WHat about working from home within Canada for a Canadian company? Is that ok?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
WHat about working from home within Canada for a Canadian company? Is that ok?
Yes, that's absolutely fine. You are physically working in Canada for a Canadian company. This definitely qualifies under CEC.

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Yes, that's absolutely fine. You are physically working in Canada for a Canadian company. This definitely qualifies under CEC.
And to be honest, the reference letter asks for the location of work (as in city), not the address from where you were working from. My job was based around a number of offices in the same city back in 2018. It changed nothing. So yes, so long on followed all the conditions of work permit and worked inside canada, they should be fine.

Alalac

Oct 2, 2021
Why not?
You will submit your paystubs and employment letter to IRCC, and none of them shows that you were outside Canada.
You will need to provide them with your travels history and they can easily track in their system if you are in Canada or not using your passport number. Dont get caught in misrepresentation, this can screw up your plans and they can bar you for 5 years

Reactions: scylla

Vikee2022

Jan 18, 2022
My query is on similar lines, I spent about 3 weeks outside Canada for vacation. Would these 3 weeks be considered for 1 year cec requirement. IRCC site says appropriate amount of vacation time is considered. But it's not clear whether spending it outside Canada invalidates it.