+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will welfare help you get more technical skills and job.Please advise

George1978

Feb 1, 2015
Hello,

I would like to get some advice.

I migrated to Canada in 2012.I worked in IT field before migrating to Canada.I have a Masters degree in Computer Science and also did few other IT programs before migrating to Canada.Worked few years in the Industry as a software developer.2 Years I worked in Dubai.

I couldn't find a job in my field when I came to Canada.So for survival had to take a factory job.Worked in a factory for more than 3 years till I had a serious back injury at work.I am not in good physical condition to work in a factory any more.I am also worried about my safety after that injury.So I resigned my Job and decided to do an IT program in Canada. Thought I will get a good job after graduation. I studied with osap. I graduated with good marks.But even after 4-6 months after graduation I am still unemployed.I tried very hard to get an IT job but I hardly get any interview calls.I tried for non IT jobs too.But no response from any applications.All my savings are exhausted. My only option is to go for factory job(through agency) or go on welfare.

I really don't want to take welfare.6 years I never took it.But I would like to know whether if we take welfare then the government will give us some technical training or help us get some job etc. I am not looking for a general resume writing kind of training.

If they give training will that be in our field itself or some other field.I thought about taking welfare thinking the government will help us get placed.But when I am searching on line I found that they will force you to take random labor jobs etc.

Any advice will be appropriated.My intension is not to burden the system.I want to get placed.If they will help me to get more skills and find a job then its a great thing.Factory jobs through agency are always avaialble. So I don't need to go to them for that.

The biggest issue I see in Canada is that there are lot of educated Canadians unemployed/under employed.Even in IT filed.In my class more than 15 are still unemployed/under employed.Some working in Tim , some driving Uber etc. But I think the government dont care.
What I understood is if Canadians are available to work then companies shouldn't recruit from outside Canada.But most of the Companies still hire lot of IT people from other countries on work visa.Its so bad that when Canadians are unemployed and struggling for their basic needs people from other countries are coming here and working on work permit and after 1 year they can apply for PR.It makes our situation worse.

Most job advertisements are fake.If you apply to 100 jobs on Indeed you get a response may be from 1.All other 99 is fake.They just post it to fool the government or public.

I am confused to take welfare or not.If its just the money then I don't need it.If they will help me get more skills in IT field and get placed then I will take it.Please advise.

I don't know what to do.I did every thing I could do.

Thank You.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Which province are you located in and which city? We need to know where you're located to provide guidance - resources differ province to province and city to city.

FYI: The job advertisements are fake. It's that many/most employers don't respond to candidates they aren't interested in.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

George1978

Feb 1, 2015
Toronto.

I applied for 100s of Jobs on Linkedin too.When the employer reads it then I get a notification.I got may be 4 or 5 notifications so far.The rest are not even opening the application.How can they decide whether the candidate is interesting or not even with out opening the application?Thats why I said most job posting are fake.Lot of people told me that they already decided the candidate and just posting ad as a formality.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have you tried other cities. Not sure what kind of IT skills you have but more general skills may be more in demand in smaller cities. Other provinces as well. Many people often limit there job search based on where they want to live and most new Canadians want to live in greater Toronto or Vancouver. Also much easier to live in a city where the ost of living is lower.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Since you are based in Toronto, have you leveraged any of the programs or services that ACCES Employment provides (government funded organization)? They do things like helping get your resume ready, pairing you up with a Canadian mentor in your area of business, giving you tips / support on job searches, etc.

http://accesemployment.ca/

Reactions: Onpoint

George1978

Feb 1, 2015
I never tried in other cities.Will try moving to some other city soon.I stayed in Toronto because of my Citizenship application.Now I am a Citizen.So can move.When trying apply to other cities from Toronto on Indeed they ask whether "I live in that city".If I write No then naturally my application wont reach the employer and if I write yes then it will be a lie.So I have to physically move there to apply.

I am web developer. I am good in PHP, Laravel.

After graduation I approached lot of web development firms offering volunteer work but nobody was willing to consider.

I saw few volunteer job on Volunteer Toronto.But they are like 1 hour a week.Its not worth.Mostly the work is remote. If its volunteer work I prefer working on site. So that I get some work culture.

ACCES Employment is like YMCA.We can register only at one place.I already registered with YMCA as a new immigrant. I think they wont accept registration after few years.Its only for new comers.I never got any such support from YMCA.They provide resume preparation training.But its the same training for grade 10 candidate and for some one with a Masters.Most profession have their own resume format.

I wish the government should conduct resume/interview preparation classes for different professionals with experts in that field.Not like a guy looking for a labor job and a guy looking for a software developer job get the same resume/interview preparation classes.Its not worth for the professionals.For laborer its good. The government just pretending that they are doing some thing.Thats all.

They can do it like one class every month in a city.If they really want to help.

I felt YMCA is just looking to get people registered so that they can get the grand from the government. The government pay an amount for each registration.

They allow 10 print outs a day once and free browsing when you register. That was the only benefit I got from YMCA.

They post few jobs on their notice board with their staff email to contact.Mostly are menial jobs.As a new comer I applied for at least 100 but never got a reply for any of those jobs. Then why they are putting such post?

Here we have a huge demand for laborer and not for skilled professional .Government is allowing mostly skilled people to migrate and they all end up working in the factory.I think thats what the government want.

1000s of IT professionals from India working in Toronto on work visa when Canadians are working in factories after graduation in IT field.

Last edited:

Fenster

Star Member
Dec 24, 2010
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2011
File Transfer...
04-04-12
Med's Request
Oct 2011
Med's Done....
Oct 2011
Passport Req..
27-08-12
George, would you be open to moving to the west coast for work? We have some companies registered with our website, www.bcjobconnect.ca, who are seeking software developers. If you register a profile (it's all free, no costs associated), I'd be happy to refer you on to the employers.

Reactions: qureishi

Sydkadra

Star Member
Jun 28, 2014
George, would you be open to moving to the west coast for work? We have some companies registered with our website, www.bcjobconnect.ca, who are seeking software developers. If you register a profile (it's all free, no costs associated), I'd be happy to refer you to to the employers.
Hi George
Unfortunately, you are not alone, the unemployment/underemployment is not only limited to immigrants but also to new graduates and millennials. Every Government organizations pose a rosy picture about the employment and economy, but in reality, it is very different. The Employment Departments are non-functional they just get funded by government and the employees there get jobs and other job seekers are given the routine instructions of resume writing, English language proficiency, meetings, seminars and guidance as to how to apply for jobs published elsewhere on the numerous websites, that's all their job is done and the job seekers are left in lurch on their own. They have to endure the travails and continue work on minimum wage (thanks to the Government now it $14 an hour), if they are lucky to get as you got in the factory. These jobs are also not available freely and the employers show as if they are doing the favor by hiring the needy. As you said, over and above the temporary workers, every year 300,000 new immigrants arrive and they join the workforce of unemployed/underemployed jobseekers and make the situation more dismal and frustrating. I don't see any betterment in the situation unless the Government thoroughly compile the data of the jobseekers and prepare a roadmap individually to get the job in their area of expertise asap. We now only pray to get the situation better and the dream of becoming successful in Canada a reality.

Reactions: qureishi