+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

will visitor visa extension refusal affect my OWP application?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JamesBox said:
Ponga - I'd say you're on the money with that one. I've been reading up on this a whole lot yesterday and today, and according to CIC you must have valid status (worker, visitor, student) when submitting the OWP and PR app. They must think LaraTO was out of status when she submitted.

I'll be including all the info I received when I submitted by visitor extension.

In the case of LaraTO would she legally be able to stay until she receives the OWP/AIP stage?
Hopefully, but there's never a guarantee if a person is out of status...even with an Inland application.

Having said that, the overwhelming majority of those in this situation are left alone, unless they were already on CBSA's radar and/or had prior issues.

Dreb

Feb 20, 2016
Ponga said:
Hopefully, but there's never a guarantee if a person is out of status...even with an Inland application.

Having said that, the overwhelming majority of those in this situation are left alone, unless they were already on CBSA's radar and/or had prior issues.

annaalpine

Jan 14, 2019
I know this post is pretty old now but the issue seems relevant to our situation and hopefully someone can help us.

What happens if I apply for OWP while still having legal status (visitor) but soon to be expired? As it takes at least few months to start processing OWP and PR application and receving AOR, how can I still be on legal status then? Would just submitting my application and having, I dunno, tracking number showing that CIC received it, be enough to reach implied status?

Or do you need to have legal status to be able to receive AOR? And to be able to stay inland with the OWP pilot?
If so, HOW is it actually even possible to obtain legal status if extensions are so often refused?

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
I know this post is pretty old now but the issue seems relevant to our situation and hopefully someone can help us.

What happens if I apply for OWP while still having legal status (visitor) but soon to be expired? As it takes at least few months to start processing OWP and PR application and receving AOR, how can I still be on legal status then? Would just submitting my application and having, I dunno, tracking number showing that CIC received it, be enough to reach implied status?

Or do you need to have legal status to be able to receive AOR? And to be able to stay inland with the OWP pilot?
If so, HOW is it actually even possible to obtain legal status if extensions are so often refused?
If you apply for the OWP as part of the inland application you will have implied status until a decision is made on the OWP. If your status expires and your app is returned for any reason you'll be out of status. You should extend your status as a visitor to be safe.

Extensions are not so often refused, if you're already here as a visitor many people successfully extend.

annaalpine

Jan 14, 2019
Thank you so much for your input, but I have read that one cannot be on implied status from OWP application if applied for OWP while already being on implied status from applying for visitor extension.

When does implied status from OWP actually "start"? From the moment CIC RECEIVES an application (easily to check if sent via UPS with tracking number) or when they open the package, start processing and you get AOR? I'm afraid my spouse would be given just a month of extension (if any) as she has already been in Canada for 6 months and CIC might not give us an AOR before her status expires again... when and how OWP implied status would apply to her?