+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will US Degree (MBA, Chemical Engineering) be respected in Canada with regard to job prospects?

JoeFMohan

Oct 6, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I've recently submitted my e-APR and I'm new to the forum! I understand that new immigrants often find it difficult getting their foreign degrees and work experienced recognized. I have both my undergraduate and graduate degrees from the US and recognized by WES.

I only have 2 years of work experience (1 year in the US), so I'm happy with an entry-level job in a business-related field. I would like to know if those who have gone from US to Canada find that they have an advantage over immigrants moving from outside North American in terms of job prospects?

If this question has been asked before, I'm really sorry, but please direct me to the relevant thread.

Thank you for your help!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
A lot of it depends on the job. If your job requires you to get licensed, then you may have to go through a process of getting your degree formally recognized here. For example, both my wife and I are originally from the US and educated in the US. For me to get a job in the software engineering field, it was straightforward. My degree (Electrical Engineering) was recognized without issue. But I didn't need to get a license to work here. My wife is in the health profession and she needed a license here to work as physiotherapist despite having one in the US. To get that license, she needed to get her degree recognized (which involved paperwork and fees), her work experience recognized and then take the Ontario exams.

I will say that Canada recognizes US education and work experience more easily than from other countries. For example, while my wife's US degree and work experience was accepted quickly by Ontario (after fees and paperwork), other people she knew doing the same thing but from other countries were requested to provide more documentation and even required to take some additional courses.

JoeFMohan

Oct 6, 2017
A lot of it depends on the job. If your job requires you to get licensed, then you may have to go through a process of getting your degree formally recognized here. For example, both my wife and I are originally from the US and educated in the US. For me to get a job in the software engineering field, it was straightforward. My degree (Electrical Engineering) was recognized without issue. But I didn't need to get a license to work here. My wife is in the health profession and she needed a license here to work as physiotherapist despite having one in the US. To get that license, she needed to get her degree recognized (which involved paperwork and fees), her work experience recognized and then take the Ontario exams.

I will say that Canada recognizes US education and work experience more easily than from other countries. For example, while my wife's US degree and work experience was accepted quickly by Ontario (after fees and paperwork), other people she knew doing the same thing but from other countries were requested to provide more documentation and even required to take some additional courses.
Thank you so much for your helpfully elaborate response!