+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will this likely be problem free?

RichardS

May 6, 2015
Hi, I joined this forum a while ago now and read often but this is the first time I wanted to ask a question to double check.

I sponsored my wife and she has gotten her passport back with the permanent residence visa.

We need to get to Canada by August to activate it.

We are still however tied up with business contracts in my wife's country.

So we want to go to Canada before August, enter to activate the visa, and then should have a couple years before we need to be back in to do the 2 out of 5 years. Right?

We don't want to stay long, just a week, so then we'll have to apply for the permanent residence card from abroad, which I found the document to do that. No problem right?

My permanent residence in Canada is in Manitoba, however when we do finally get to Canada to stay we intend to stay in BC and said so on our application documents. This is actually the point I'm wondering about most, when we go back to Canada for this one week to activate the residence, we aren't going to have any BC address other than the hotel we'll be at. Is she going to need to give a BC address? Or it won't be an issue?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
RichardS said:
So we want to go to Canada before August, enter to activate the visa, and then should have a couple years before we need to be back in to do the 2 out of 5 years. Right?
Yes, but just don't share this information with the CBSA officer when landing. If you tell them you have no intention to move permanently to Canada immediately and will be waiting a year or 2, they could cancel your COPR on the spot and tell you to apply again later when you're ready to move.

We don't want to stay long, just a week, so then we'll have to apply for the permanent residence card from abroad, which I found the document to do that. No problem right?
Wrong, you can't apply for a PR card if you aren't physically in Canada.

Upon landing, you can give the address of a friend/family member who can receive the PR card for her, and then courier it to her in home country when it arrives.

Else you would need to tell the CBSA officer you don't have a permanent address yet, and you will delay the PR card until arriving permanently back in Canada. In the meantime, she would need to apply for a PR Travel Document in home country to travel to Canada while a PR with no PR card.

My permanent residence in Canada is in Manitoba, however when we do finally get to Canada to stay we intend to stay in BC and said so on our application documents. This is actually the point I'm wondering about most, when we go back to Canada for this one week to activate the residence, we aren't going to have any BC address other than the hotel we'll be at. Is she going to need to give a BC address? Or it won't be an issue?
It won't be an issue. You can land in any province with no problem (except Quebec).

knowledge101

Aug 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2016
AOR Received.
11-08-2016
File Transfer...
22-08-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront, 04-08-2016
Interview........
N/A, Background check In-Process: 23-11-2016
Passport Req..
DM on ECAS: 12-01-2017; PPR Email: 23-01-2017; DM on MyCIC: 06-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
COPR sent: 06-02-2017
LANDED..........
11-02-2017
Rob_TO said:
It won't be an issue. You can land in any province with no problem (except Quebec).
Sorry just wanted to clarify, you can LAND in Quebec but cannot state that as your permanent address. I landed in Quebec last week and my address is in Ontario without a problem.

To the Original Poster, there is no issue but as you have been told don't tell the officers your intentions to leave. Once you are a PR they have no business in what you do/where you go thereafter. We landed last week but I returned back to the US same day as my job contract doesn't expire until June. Won't be an issue. Just make sure you give your B4/B4A list as goods to follow so you can import them later on when you move without paying duties. We gave the address of my in-laws as our permanent address and they will mail us the PR card once they receive it.

RichardS

May 6, 2015
Thank-you very kindly for your replies, I've read over the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act now and together with your relies and some other inquiries we are organizing our plans accordingly.

Joyce_tosf

Aug 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2016
Doc's Request.
09-12-2016 (Provided 17-12-2016)
AOR Received.
08-09-2016
File Transfer...
15-09-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront (PASSED)
Passport Req..
21-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2017
knowledge101 said:
Sorry just wanted to clarify, you can LAND in Quebec but cannot state that as your permanent address. I landed in Quebec last week and my address is in Ontario without a problem.

To the Original Poster, there is no issue but as you have been told don't tell the officers your intentions to leave. Once you are a PR they have no business in what you do/where you go thereafter. We landed last week but I returned back to the US same day as my job contract doesn't expire until June. Won't be an issue. Just make sure you give your B4/B4A list as goods to follow so you can import them later on when you move without paying duties. We gave the address of my in-laws as our permanent address and they will mail us the PR card once they receive it.
Since you returned to the US and won't be coming back again until June, will the amount of months you are away cause issues with permanent residency obligations? Or is your spouse with you in the US?

knowledge101

Aug 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2016
AOR Received.
11-08-2016
File Transfer...
22-08-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront, 04-08-2016
Interview........
N/A, Background check In-Process: 23-11-2016
Passport Req..
DM on ECAS: 12-01-2017; PPR Email: 23-01-2017; DM on MyCIC: 06-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
COPR sent: 06-02-2017
LANDED..........
11-02-2017
Joyce_tosf said:
Since you returned to the US and won't be coming back again until June, will the amount of months you are away cause issues with permanent residency obligations? Or is your spouse with you in the US?
My spouse is with me in the US, but my obligations for Permanent Residency are to remain in Canada or 2 years out of 5 years so I can legally remain in the US for 3 more years if I need to and still be a legal permanent resident of Canada. (For me I only plan to be here a few more months but you get the picture). I've heard of many people doing this and coming back to officially move 1 year out, no issues at all

Joyce_tosf

Aug 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2016
Doc's Request.
09-12-2016 (Provided 17-12-2016)
AOR Received.
08-09-2016
File Transfer...
15-09-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront (PASSED)
Passport Req..
21-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
08-03-2017
knowledge101 said:
My spouse is with me in the US, but my obligations for Permanent Residency are to remain in Canada or 2 years out of 5 years so I can legally remain in the US for 3 more years if I need to and still be a legal permanent resident of Canada. (For me I only plan to be here a few more months but you get the picture). I've heard of many people doing this and coming back to officially move 1 year out, no issues at all
I see. Thank you!!!!! :)