+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will there be problems landing in U.S. en route to Canada ?

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
whoopi83 said:
As well as the "little" respect, they also charge visa exempt nationals - non Canadians - $6 every time you cross a land border.
You also pay $6 when you fly, but it's included in the price of your ticket in that case.

The thing I've never understood is how they expect everyone arriving from Canada or Mexico to have $6 in cash on them if they're not from the U.S.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is not every time, it is every time you need a new I-94W. You can keep that one for 90 days and cross as many times as you like during those 90 days. So it'd max out at $24 per year or so if you are constantly crossing back and forth, which is not too bad if you ask me. The cost of an actual visa is far, far higher than this for those who need it.

No need for cash as they take all major credit cards.

genio

Star Member
Dec 27, 2008
I understand the concept of keeping our countries secure,,,but isn't all this really going to affect a lot of the travel industry? Geesh, I have dual american/canadian citizenship, but I pretty mucho forget how to say "Huh"? for good reasons. How bizarre, To be sure of not having issues at the U.S. border, it appears even as a landed immigrant, because my wife will still have a Colombian passport, forget even visiting the states until ? is it 3 or 5 years for canadian citizenship. There are so many people on both sides of the border who will just say,"way too many issues" let's just stay home and not vacation abroad. So much for tourism.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Karlshammar said:
It is not every time, it is every time you need a new I-94W. You can keep that one for 90 days and cross as many times as you like during those 90 days. So it'd max out at $24 per year or so if you are constantly crossing back and forth, which is not too bad if you ask me. The cost of an actual visa is far, far higher than this for those who need it.

Sorry, out of topic but how do I turn in an expired I-94?

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If she's a Colombian citizen but has Canadian PR she shouldn't have too many issues. A friend of mine who is Vietnamese was here on a visitor status with her Canadian husband and she applied for a tourist visa to the U.S.A. She was given a 10 year visa before she even became a Canadian PR.

Not sure what to do with expired I-94s. Normally you turn it in to the Canadian border agent when you leave the U.S.A. If it is expired you are in their system as currently out-of-status in the U.S.A., so I'd contact them ASAP to find out what to do.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Karlshammar said:
If she's a Colombian citizen but has Canadian PR she shouldn't have too many issues. A friend of mine who is Vietnamese was here on a visitor status with her Canadian husband and she applied for a tourist visa to the U.S.A. She was given a 10 year visa before she even became a Canadian PR.

Not sure what to do with expired I-94s. Normally you turn it in to the Canadian border agent when you leave the U.S.A. If it is expired you are in their system as currently out-of-status in the U.S.A., so I'd contact them ASAP to find out what to do.
The Canadian border agent did not take my I-94 when I left the US and I haven't been back to the US since.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think the information on that page is all the information any of us have, so we're all equally wise now. Send as much evidence as possible, I guess.

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Karlshammar said:

In principle this is correct but strictly speaking one must surrender the I-94W on exit from the US therefore, each new trip is theoretically $6.00.

PS. Some land borders do not accept credit cards - there are posts on this on the british expats forum.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, you don't. :)

I cross the U.S. land border fairly frequently and the officers on the U.S. side specifically told me that I did not need to surrender it and even stamped my I-94W "multiple entry." I've had two of these and my wife has had one, so it was not an isolated incident.

whoopi83 said:
In principle this is correct but strictly speaking one must surrender the I-94W on exit from the US therefore, each new trip is theoretically $6.00.

PS. Some land borders do not accept credit cards - there are posts on this on the british expats forum.

whoopi83

Aug 17, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Karlshammar said:
No, you don't. :)

I cross the U.S. land border fairly frequently and the officers on the U.S. side specifically told me that I did not need to surrender it and even stamped my I-94W "multiple entry." I've had two of these and my wife has had one, so it was not an isolated incident.

whoopi83 said:

We will have to agree to disagree Karlshammar; after living in Canada for 18 months prior to returning to the UK I had cause to visit close friends almost weekly in Point Roberts WA., each time I left (the US) I had to surrender the I94W and was told specifically this. Ironically the "friend" in PR was a US border agent...! Never could get free stuff :eek:)

Wish I'd crossed where you are - it cost a small US fortune over a year!

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Was this a while ago? Things change all the time. Try asking for a multiple-entry I-94W next time.