+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will submitting my tax as a non-resident affect my citizenship application?

MountainLife

Sep 9, 2013
Heya,

I'm currently travelling with my Canadian gf in Australia for her 1 year working holiday visa and returning to Canada at the end of June this year.

My question is:

- As I've been in Australia for the majority of it's tax year Sept 16 - June 17 (Australia's tax year is July 1 - June 30), my accountant back in Canada has advised me I have to submit the 2016 tax year as a non-resident for tax purposes. It doesn't say anything in the application requirements that I have to be a Canadian resident for tax purposes, just that I have to have been in Canada for the 4 in 6 rule and present 183 days of each calendar year which I have.

Cheers, just wanted to check with some knowledgeable folks out there :)

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
MountainLife said:
Heya,

I'm currently travelling with my Canadian gf in Australia for her 1 year working holiday visa and returning to Canada at the end of June this year.

My question is:

- As I've been in Australia for the majority of it's tax year Sept 16 - June 17 (Australia's tax year is July 1 - June 30), my accountant back in Canada has advised me I have to submit the 2016 tax year as a non-resident for tax purposes. It doesn't say anything in the application requirements that I have to be a Canadian resident for tax purposes, just that I have to have been in Canada for the 4 in 6 rule and present 183 days of each calendar year which I have.

did you work or earn any income in Canada during the first half of 2016 before you left? If so, you must file as a resident for that portion and indicate the date that you left Canada.

MountainLife

Sep 9, 2013
torontosm said:
did you work or earn any income in Canada during the first half of 2016 before you left? If so, you must file as a resident for that portion and indicate the date that you left Canada.
Hi Torontosm, thanks for your reply and sorry for my delay. In talks with my accountant back in Canada...

Yes I worked and earned income in Canada until Sept 2016. Lived/worked in Australia from mid Sept 2016 - current. My accountant's reasoning behind wanting to declare me a non-resident for tax purposes is because the Australian tax year runs July 2016 - June 2017. She says that due to the fact that I'll spend the majority of that year in Aus, I have to declare a non-resident in Canada for 2016 as you can only be a resident for tax purposes in one country at a time.

Still doesn't make sense to me, as the tax year's are different and I spent most of 2016 in Canada. I just want to make sure I won't affect my citizenship application come early 2018 when I apply

Any help greatly appreciated!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
MountainLife said:
Yes I worked and earned income in Canada until Sept 2016. Lived/worked in Australia from mid Sept 2016 - current. My accountant's reasoning behind wanting to declare me a non-resident for tax purposes is because the Australian tax year runs July 2016 - June 2017. She says that due to the fact that I'll spend the majority of that year in Aus, I have to declare a non-resident in Canada for 2016 as you can only be a resident for tax purposes in one country at a time.

Still doesn't make sense to me, as the tax year's are different and I spent most of 2016 in Canada. I just want to make sure I won't affect my citizenship application come early 2018 when I apply
I really don't understand what your accountant is thinking. As you lived and worked in Canada for most of the year, you were a resident. Australia's tax year makes no difference in declaring your taxes in Canada.

MountainLife

Sep 9, 2013
canuck_in_uk said:
I really don't understand what your accountant is thinking. As you lived and worked in Canada for most of the year, you were a resident. Australia's tax year makes no difference in declaring your taxes in Canada.
From my accountant:

"I have heard back regarding your tax status and why you are considered a non-resident for tax purposes in 2016;
You are deemed a tax resident of Australia for the 2016-2017 Australian tax year as you will be spending approximately 1 year in the country. You can’t be considered a tax resident for 2 countries in the same year, meaning you will be filed as a non-resident (for tax purposes only) in Canada for 2016"

Do they have it wrong? She went on to say this is part of CRA's Rules and Regulations, not theirs.... can anyone shed more light on this?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
MountainLife said:
From my accountant:

"I have heard back regarding your tax status and why you are considered a non-resident for tax purposes in 2016;
You are deemed a tax resident of Australia for the 2016-2017 Australian tax year as you will be spending approximately 1 year in the country. You can’t be considered a tax resident for 2 countries in the same year, meaning you will be filed as a non-resident (for tax purposes only) in Canada for 2016"

Do they have it wrong? She went on to say this is part of CRA's Rules and Regulations, not theirs.... can anyone shed more light on this?
It is possible that your accountant is correct but I would suggest you contact CRA directly. From what I recall, a person who spends more than half of the year in Canada, hasn't severed their ties and plans to return is still considered a resident.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
MountainLife said:
From my accountant:

Tax return filing and Citizenship application:

For clarity, whether you should file a resident or non-resident Canadian tax return has no impact on your application for Canadian citizenship. The qualifying requirement for citizenship is that the applicant must have complied with CRA tax filing requirements (whatever they are and however they apply to the applicant) for four of the tax-years within the relevant six years.

Since you were employed and had income in Canada, you are required to file a return for that tax-year. Having properly filed a return, you can then check "yes" to both parts of the question for that year, "yes" you were required to file a return, and "yes" you filed a return. Whether that should be a resident or non-resident return is a totally separate question, a CRA question not a citizenship qualifying question.

Technically the requirement is that you complied with the CRA filing obligations, so technically an improper filing would not meet the requirements for citizenship. But it is hard to imagine this becoming an issue in processing the citizenship application, the main thing being whether you were required to file a return, "yes," and whether you filed a return, for which "yes" should suffice.

Resident or non-resident tax return:

That is entirely a Canada Revenue question.

I tend to share the skepticism expressed by others about the accountant's advice. But, I am not an accountant. I am no expert or even much informed about the particulars of Canadian tax law and filing requirements. So I do not know.

One reason for my skepticism is that declaring yourself a resident of Canada for tax purposes, and for a specific calendar year, is not inconsistent with declaring yourself a resident of another country for what is a different tax year, even if there is some overlap in the respective tax years. In particular, it makes sense to me that a person was a resident of Canada for tax purposes during the calendar year 2016, and is required to file a Canadian tax return as a resident for that year, even though that individual was a resident of Australia for tax purposes during the tax year July 2016 through June 2017, and required to file a resident tax return in Australia for that tax year.

That noted, I believe Canada and Australia are parties to treaties which have particular rules and guidelines governing these matters respectively, and those will govern. I am not familiar, not at all, with those in particular. In contrast, and perhaps similarly, between Canada and the U.S., for example, there are particular rules governing when an individual should file as a resident of one country which, in turn, will allow that individual to file as a non-resident of the other, with an overlay of other rules governing primary tax payment obligations subject to obligations to the secondary country, with provisions specifically intended to minimize any double taxation.

Beyond that, while there are many contexts in which a person is presumed to be a resident of only one place at a time, and indeed for some contexts cannot be considered to be a resident of more than one place at the same time, different jurisdictions can impose tax obligations which treat a person as a resident of that jurisdiction at the same time another jurisdiction treats that person as a resident of the other jurisdiction. In other words, while I am not familiar with Canadian tax law in this regard, I do know, with confidence, that generally persons can be deemed to be resident of more than one jurisdiction at a time for tax purposes even though for other purposes they can only be a resident of one jurisdiction or the other, not both.

And, I am quite sure that Canada's rules can require a person to file a return as a resident of Canada even if another country's laws require that person to file there as a resident of that country. I just do not know what the treaties between Canada and Australia require in this regard.

Be aware of collateral issues: Impact on health care coverage, for example.

rrajendra

Star Member
Mar 10, 2017
MountainLife said:
Heya,

My question is:

I am surprised to hear what your accountant said. Your living in Australia during most of Sep 16-June 17 makes you an Australian tax resident for sure; But, from what I gather, you spent more than 183 days in Canada in 2016(Jan to August 2016). That makes you a Canadian Tax resident as well for the year 2016.

h3a3j6

Mar 31, 2014
Montréal
MountainLife said:
Heya,

My question is:

Here's the actual CRA text on fiscal residence: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts/cmmn/rsdncy-eng.html. It describes in great depth how you do your analysis.

My personal 2 cents: I think that you will be shooting yourself in the foot! If you spend more then 50% of year or 183 days in Canada you will be fiscally resident during this year. I honestly haven't heard of anyone who spent more than half of a year, made money and didn't file taxes. Don't you have a T4 and/or an R1 for the duration of this time? It would be reported by the employer to CRA.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
h3a3j6 said:
I honestly haven't heard of anyone who spent more than half of a year, made money and didn't file taxes. Don't you have a T4 and/or an R1 for the duration of this time? It would be reported by the employer to CRA.
Did you read the preious posts? OP is questioning the advice to file taxes as a non-resident, not about whether they have to file taxes in the first place.

MountainLife

Sep 9, 2013
Thanks everyone for your great input. h3a3j6 yes I intend to file, the issue is as canuck_in_uk pointed out, to file as a non-resident vs resident. The link you provided was definitely some good fodder for futher digging however, in particular this line in Step 2:

If you established ties in a country that Canada has a tax treaty with and you are considered a resident of that country, but you are otherwise a factual resident of Canada, meaning you maintain significant residential ties with Canada, you may be considered a deemed non-resident of Canada. The same rules apply to deemed non-residents as non-residents of Canada.

Dpenabill pointed this out in his response .... and yes, she also confirmed it would have no affect on my citizenship. Correctly filing is exactly what I want to do!

So I guess the next question is:

- Anyone know the specifics of this treaty? The accountant and her team seem to think that although I was in Canada the majority of 2016 working, the fact I was out of the country at the end of the tax year and (will be) in Oz for their full tax year that I'm deemed a non-resident for tax purposes.

Getting close to working this out.... want to be sure

Thanks again for your input!

Kittyz

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks everyone for your great input. h3a3j6 yes I intend to file, the issue is as canuck_in_uk pointed out, to file as a non-resident vs resident. The link you provided was definitely some good fodder for futher digging however, in particular this line in Step 2:

If you established ties in a country that Canada has a tax treaty with and you are considered a resident of that country, but you are otherwise a factual resident of Canada, meaning you maintain significant residential ties with Canada, you may be considered a deemed non-resident of Canada. The same rules apply to deemed non-residents as non-residents of Canada.

Dpenabill pointed this out in his response .... and yes, she also confirmed it would have no affect on my citizenship. Correctly filing is exactly what I want to do!

So I guess the next question is:

- Anyone know the specifics of this treaty? The accountant and her team seem to think that although I was in Canada the majority of 2016 working, the fact I was out of the country at the end of the tax year and (will be) in Oz for their full tax year that I'm deemed a non-resident for tax purposes.

Getting close to working this out.... want to be sure

Thanks again for your input!
Hi

Can you share your experience being filing taxes in Canada as non-resident and its impact on the Citizenship application?

Really appreciate.

Thanks.