+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will stoping MSP affect student visa status ?

macho2028

Sep 2, 2010
Hi all, I am currently international student in BC. However, next semester, I intended to go home and study online for the whole term then I come back and attend the graduation ceremony (My last term). Therefore, I don't want to pay for my health insurance coverage (MSP) while I'm in home country. So, I will stop paying for it.

Thus, my question is: Will this action affect my student visa at all? I studied in USA before and I got reported to Immigration Officer when I tried not to get health insurance :(. Hope this won't be the same in Canada.

P.S.: I will move to Ottawa after graduation and as I heard from my dad: We have different health insurance system there. Thus, in my opinion, paying for MSP in BC is unnecessary.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

macho2028 said:
Hi all, I am currently international student in BC. However, next semester, I intended to go home and study online for the whole term then I come back and attend the graduation ceremony (My last term). Therefore, I don't want to pay for my health insurance coverage (MSP) while I'm in home country. So, I will stop paying for it.

Thus, my question is: Will this action affect my student visa at all? I studied in USA before and I got reported to Immigration Officer when I tried not to get health insurance :(. Hope this won't be the same in Canada.

P.S.: I will move to Ottawa after graduation and as I heard from my dad: We have different health insurance system there. Thus, in my opinion, paying for MSP in BC is unnecessary.
If you are not in Canada (BC), then you don't have to pay MSP.