+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will spouse open work permit ends if I get a new work permit?

jmoore

Mar 11, 2023
Hi everyone,
So I have a valid Closed Work Permit. My spouse has an Open Work Permit based on my close WP.
There is still more than 1 year left for both of us.
But, I want to apply to change my Closed to Open work permit. I have two questions:
1. If I apply and get the new work permit, do I need to let my current employer know of the change?
2. If I ONLY apply for myself (since my wife has an open work permit already), will my spouse's old work permit expire? Basically, should I also include my spouse in the new request to get a new Open Work Permit for her as well or can she continue with the old work permit?

Thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,
So I have a valid Closed Work Permit. My spouse has an Open Work Permit based on my close WP.
There is still more than 1 year left for both of us.
But, I want to apply to change my Closed to Open work permit. I have two questions:
1. If I apply and get the new work permit, do I need to let my current employer know of the change?
2. If I ONLY apply for myself (since my wife has an open work permit already), will my spouse's old work permit expire? Basically, should I also include my spouse in the new request to get a new Open Work Permit for her as well or can she continue with the old work permit?

Thanks in advance
Can you provide more details? On what basis are you applying for an open work permit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Scylla,
It's via a temporary public policy regarding my country's situation.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/iran.html
Ah - got it.

1) It's up to you if you let your employer know or not.
2) Only yourself.

One thing to perhaps consider before you switch to the open work permit is that once you have the OWP, you won't be able to claim points for having a job offer under EE. This may or may not matter to you depending on if and how you plan to apply for PR and also how many points you have.

Reactions: jmoore

jmoore

Mar 11, 2023
One thing to perhaps consider before you switch to the open work permit is that once you have the OWP, you won't be able to claim points for having a job offer under EE. This may or may not matter to you depending on if and how you plan to apply for PR and also how many points you have.
Thank you very much.
About EE, good notice, but I already used it to get a work permit, which I think makes it invalid for EE:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you very much.
About EE, good notice, but I already used it to get a work permit, which I think makes it invalid for EE:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment.html
It's still quite possible you could claim the 50 job offer points under EE if you stay on the closed work permit. Your employer would need to provide a new letter but employers are often willing to go this. Once you switch to an open work permit, claiming the 50 points will only be possible with an approved LMIA which is a great deal more work for the employer.

Anyway, this may not matter to you. Ultimately your choice.

Reactions: jmoore

jmoore

Mar 11, 2023
It's still quite possible you could claim the 50 job offer points under EE if you stay on the closed work permit. Your employer would need to provide a new letter but employers are often willing to go this. Once you switch to an open work permit, claiming the 50 points will only be possible with an approved LMIA which is a great deal more work for the employer.

Anyway, this may not matter to you. Ultimately your choice.
Ah, I see. Thanks again.
Have a good day.