+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will PNP changes affect citizenship eligibility?

NMOT

Star Member
Sep 10, 2019
Dubai, UAE
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-01-2020
Nomination.....
21-11-2019
AOR Received.
21-01-2020
Med's Done....
07-12-2019
Passport Req..
19-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2020
Hi all,

I am currently applying for PR through Express Entry, PNP Ontario. I have a couple of questions:
  1. Once I become a PR and for some reason have to move to another province other than Ontario, will this negatively impact my eligibility for citizenship?
  2. I was selected from one of Ontario's Tech Draws, with my NOC being 2175 - Web Designers. If I decided to change my career path to something entirely different down the line, will this negatively impact my eligibility for citizenship?
I did take a look at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility.html and it doesn't look like these points have any affect but just wanted to be sure.

Thanks

trk1

Jul 15, 2014
1. No impact on Citizenship.
2. No impact on Citizenship.

Any undertaking we sign to Provinces, we are expected to honour.

All the best!

I am not a legal expert..please treat this as another opinion!

Reactions: NMOT and scylla

arsal385

Oct 13, 2012
Sasktechewen PNP nomination certificate clearly indicates that this nomination may be withdrawn if you changed your intention to remain in the province.
As a law abiding resident you should do your efforts to stay in a province which nominates you and should only leave if you got a job offer from another province.

Having said that, there is nothing mentioned in citizenship form regarding staying in a particular province. They emphasis on staying in Canada for 3 years out of last 5 years.

Mike263

Jun 2, 2020
Hi all,

I am currently applying for PR through Express Entry, PNP Ontario. I have a couple of questions:
  1. Once I become a PR and for some reason have to move to another province other than Ontario, will this negatively impact my eligibility for citizenship?
  2. I was selected from one of Ontario's Tech Draws, with my NOC being 2175 - Web Designers. If I decided to change my career path to something entirely different down the line, will this negatively impact my eligibility for citizenship?
I did take a look at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility.html and it doesn't look like these points have any affect but just wanted to be sure.

Thanks
1. As a PNP, you're obliged and expected to live and utilize your skills and experience for a province that nominated you. If you'd already spent a couple of years in that province, you diligently tired to settle and establish yourself; but now have a valid reason or justification to move to another province (e.g. a better job, high salary, family or specific community ties etc), it should be fine.

However, as a PNP, if you just spent a couple of months in your nominated province and didn't make reasonable efforts to establish yourself; and then moved and got settled to another province - it would potentially be questionable by ircc at the time of your citizenship application (in-process). It happens and the officer does raise a concern on it (on a case-by-case basis).

2. It does not affect positively or negatively.

Last edited:

NMOT

Star Member
Sep 10, 2019
Dubai, UAE
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-01-2020
Nomination.....
21-11-2019
AOR Received.
21-01-2020
Med's Done....
07-12-2019
Passport Req..
19-10-2020
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2020
Thanks all, appreciate the help!
Toronto does seem to be a good fit for me in terms of culture, environment and job market so I think I shouldn’t have a problem anyways.