+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will overstayng in Greece affect getting a visa???

Emcco709

Nov 17, 2012
ok so heres the story. I am Canadian and I am trying to get my Albanian husband to Canada with a spouse visa. We have sent in all the papers and just yesterday we got an email from the visa office in Rome asking for a police clearence check from Greece. My husband had been in Greece for over 6 months illegally (we actually met in Greece). I wrote the truth in the application about his time in Greece and my question is will his being in Greece illegally affect the police clearence check or affect him getting a visa??? He is now back in Albania and was never busted for overstaying in Greece.
Anyone out there have any idea??

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
He should still be able to get the police check - even if someone has committed a crime, they can still get the police certificate, it will just have the negative info included. He wasn't caught, so it may not even include any problems.
The visa office already knows he overstayed, so adding a police certificate that may or may not mention this won't make any difference. The overstay might make a difference. Sometimes the visa officer will see this as an example of how the applicant will do anything to get into a 'richer' country, and so will be more suspicious of the applicant's motives in marrying a Canadian. Other times the visa officer just seems to understand that sometimes people overstay a visa, and doesn't read much into it negatively. It depends on the circumstances and the visa officer. If you have a lot of evidence your relationship is genuine, I wouldn't worry. If the way he overstayed looks bad, there might be some problems: one poster on here, for example, had a lot of problems because of this. Her husband had entered another country on a fake passport and was working there illegally. They admitted this on the application, and his PR app was refused. They won on appeal on humanitarian and compassionate grounds. I don't think your husband's actions were this 'bad'; even if they were, they did win on appeal.

Emcco709

Nov 17, 2012
Thanks!!
I hope it wont make a difference. Lots of Albanians stay in Greece and other countaries illegally because they have no money and need to work to support their families back home. On the application I put that he was staying with his brother because thats all he was doing at the time. He worked for a little bit but other than that he was just there to get away from Albania and hopefully make some money. I'm sure the visa office in Rome has seen many Albanian applications like that so I'm not too worried...kindof :S

messenger

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/2/2013
Doc's Request.
28/1/2014
AOR Received.
Stage 1 22/3/2013 & Stage 2 Aug 2013
File Transfer...
27-3-2013
Med's Done....
31-1-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
Emcco709 said:
ok so heres the story. I am Canadian and I am trying to get my Albanian husband to Canada with a spouse visa. We have sent in all the papers and just yesterday we got an email from the visa office in Rome asking for a police clearence check from Greece. My husband had been in Greece for over 6 months illegally (we actually met in Greece). I wrote the truth in the application about his time in Greece and my question is will his being in Greece illegally affect the police clearence check or affect him getting a visa??? He is now back in Albania and was never busted for overstaying in Greece.
Anyone out there have any idea??
Hello and Happy new year

I am Greek-Canadian too (not sure if you can speak Greek so lets write here in English)
I am also a Canadian citizen living in Thessaloniki and my spouse is from FYROm and we are facing also the same issue here. She was caught for overstaying her visa in 2010 and although she went through the process and was given 30 days to leave the country which she did but miraculously the banning from Greece was never actually implemented for some GOD known reason and she can still come to Greece.
We have decided meanwhile to also leave Greece and return to Canada and at first I was afraid to put this info in the apps but finally I did it because it would have been really bad if the CIC had found it and I do not like to be dishonest.
We just applied last week for her Police clearance (Poiniko mitroo) from Athens through KEP. I don't know if and when they will send it so we can include it in her app.
Did you get one for your husband too. Did they have the deportation shown in it. Have you send the apps to Mississauga yet?
We are almost finished and just waiting for this from Athens and then we'll go to Skopie to pass her medical exam.
Please if you have the time write me a coupe lines maybe we can help each other. Tried to send this message as PM to you but I got a message that your inbox is full

Regards
Sakis