+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will online study from inside canada will affect pgwp from jan 2022

manan12_

Jul 23, 2020
Can we study online while staying in canada for jan2022 semester and will it affect the length of pgwp?

vicjr

Nov 23, 2021
I have the same question, in my case not all courses are offered in-person and the courses I want to take are online only due to the pandemic, as I understand it shouldn't affect the length of the PGWP.

euphoria123

Oct 14, 2019
It doesn’t matter if you are in Canada. It only affects people outside of Canada. IRCC has no way of knowing whether your studies are online or not if you are inside of Canada, and they don’t have time to research your university’s course delivery plan while reviewing your application.

Distance learning from inside of Canada
If your courses were moved online due to the pandemic, the time you spend studying online from within Canada still counts toward the length of your PGWP. However, it’s highly recommended that you attend in-class options when offered.

There is no specific end date to the temporary policy changes for in-Canada students.

still, it is recommended to take in-class options

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It doesn’t matter if you are in Canada. It only affects people outside of Canada. IRCC has no way of knowing whether your studies are online or not if you are inside of Canada, and they don’t have time to research your university’s course delivery plan while reviewing your application.

Distance learning from inside of Canada
If your courses were moved online due to the pandemic, the time you spend studying online from within Canada still counts toward the length of your PGWP. However, it’s highly recommended that you attend in-class options when offered.

There is no specific end date to the temporary policy changes for in-Canada students.

still, it is recommended to take in-class options
Your transcripts can specify if you studied online or not.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes inperson classes are also available and online option is also available.
You are required to spend half your program in person. The rule was created during the pandemic when most didn’t have the option and had to study online. If in person classes are available I would strongly encourage you to attend in person unless you have proof that you have a medical condition that would put you at high risk of serious complications if you contracted covid.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have the same question, in my case not all courses are offered in-person and the courses I want to take are online only due to the pandemic, as I understand it shouldn't affect the length of the PGWP.
If some of your classes are available in person then I would attend those classes in person. Due to the pandemic you are allowed to spend 1/2 of your program online.

euphoria123

Oct 14, 2019
You are required to spend half your program in person. The rule was created during the pandemic when most didn’t have the option and had to study online. If in person classes are available I would strongly encourage you to attend in person unless you have proof that you have a medical condition that would put you at high risk of serious complications if you contracted covid.
This is wrong when it comes to COVID-19 as long as you are in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/eligibility.html

Scroll down to the bottom. Open the "distance learning" spoiler and check the "Distance learning from inside Canada". Once again, I also encourage to attend in-person classes as per the website, however, still studying online isn't an issue. There is no end date to the policy. This was updated one week ago.

Your transcripts won't mention that your studies are distance learning if they are due to COVID-19, because your program of study is originally in-person. He is allowed to complete %100 of his program online if he is inside of Canada.