+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will obtain new citizenship prior to PR

txlonghorn

Star Member
Mar 13, 2021
I am currently a US citizen and my wife is a citizen of an eastern european country. She is in the process of obtaining US citizenship (~ the next 6 months) and will renounce her other citizenship at that time - her current country of citizenship does not allow dual citizenship. We have also submitted a PR application to Canada and have biometric appointments scheduled next month. Noticed that the biometric appointment letter said that the passports we used to apply with are the same ones we need to take to our biometric appointments as well as travel to Canada for the first time with.

Assuming she obtains her US citizenship in the next few months and renounces her current citizenship, will she be able to travel to Canada for the first time with the new US passport? I'm guessing traveling on her old passport would be illegal. Would we need to contact IRCC?

Bacelor

Oct 20, 2017
I am currently a US citizen and my wife is a citizen of an eastern european country. She is in the process of obtaining US citizenship (~ the next 6 months) and will renounce her other citizenship at that time - her current country of citizenship does not allow dual citizenship. We have also submitted a PR application to Canada and have biometric appointments scheduled next month. Noticed that the biometric appointment letter said that the passports we used to apply with are the same ones we need to take to our biometric appointments as well as travel to Canada for the first time with.

Assuming she obtains her US citizenship in the next few months and renounces her current citizenship, will she be able to travel to Canada for the first time with the new US passport? I'm guessing traveling on her old passport would be illegal. Would we need to contact IRCC?
I think multiple citizenships is no problem in Canada.

Entering Canada with US passport is okay but one cannot activate PR status with it so i think there will be a sort of residency period restrictions.( one will enter as a visitor)

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/documents/dual-citizenship

txlonghorn

Star Member
Mar 13, 2021
My question isn't regarding dual citizenship. Let me re-iterate. My wife currently has citizenship X and holds a passport from country X.

If and when our PR application is approved, my wife will likely hold ONLY citizenship Y from country Y. X will no longer be in the picture. X passport will be invalid.

IRCC says
"You must use the same travel document throughout the application process, including when you
go to a biometric collection service point to give your biometrics. You must also use the same
travel document upon arrival in Canada."

What do we do?

Bacelor

Oct 20, 2017
My question isn't regarding dual citizenship. Let me re-iterate. My wife currently has citizenship X and holds a passport from country X.

If and when our PR application is approved, my wife will likely hold ONLY citizenship Y from country Y. X will no longer be in the picture. X passport will be invalid.

IRCC says
"You must use the same travel document throughout the application process, including when you
go to a biometric collection service point to give your biometrics. You must also use the same
travel document upon arrival in Canada."

What do we do?
Oh i see
I think you can do nothing untill obtaining US passport, once US passport is in hand you should raise a webform informing IRCC with citizenship change.

However if your PR was approved before US passport, thats were it gets complex
you gonna need to submit passport X for visa stamping and you won't be able to renounce it befor PR card issuance, unless you inform IRCC so they move the visa to the new passport.

Its worth you give IRCC a call. Or All you can do now is wait to see if you need to update PR Canada application anusoon.

Reactions: txlonghorn

guelphite

Jan 22, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-10-2020
Med's Request
03-12-2020
Med's Done....
07-01-2020

PR app: It sounds like you should get a lawyer to help with this. You will definitely have to update IRCC - you include citizenship and passport info in your application. Idk what other changes may be required. If I were you, I would 100% get legal advice asap, before that biometrics appointment.
Travel: Of course she can't travel on an expired passport (!!!), and yes she will be able to travel to Canada on the US passport (once the borders open) - why wouldn't she? A US citizen is a US citizen.

Last edited:

txlonghorn

Star Member
Mar 13, 2021
Travel: Of course she can't travel on an expired passport (!!!), and yes she will be able to travel to Canada on the US passport (once the borders open) - why wouldn't she? A US citizen is a US citizen.
Sigh. I neither asked whether she could travel on an expired passport nor whether she would be able to enter Canada. Like you said, pretty absurd questions. My question was regarding the citizenship change and how it would affect our PR application given what the IRCC website said about using the same travel document from start to finish.

Oh i see
I think you can do nothing untill obtaining US passport, once US passport is in hand you should raise a webform informing IRCC with citizenship change.

However if your PR was approved before US passport, thats were it gets complex
you gonna need to submit passport X for visa stamping and you won't be able to renounce it befor PR card issuance, unless you inform IRCC so they move the visa to the new passport.

Its worth you give IRCC a call. Or All you can do now is wait to see if you need to update PR Canada application anusoon.
Thank you! We're going to go ahead with the biometrics appointments (with her current active citizenship) and then play things by ear (update our application if/when she receives US citizenship etc.). If we receive the PR approval before she receives US citizenship, I'll call up IRCC and see what they recommend. Hopefully we'll be able to still change things over at that point.

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
US citizens do not need a PR visa stamp to do landing — just the COPR would do. Contact IRCC and they would need to update the info in COPR — that’s probably it; my guess, of course.

txlonghorn

Star Member
Mar 13, 2021
US citizens do not need a PR visa stamp to do landing — just the COPR would do. Contact IRCC and they would need to update the info in COPR — that’s probably it; my guess, of course.
Thank you! Does this mean if she receives US citizenship first and then our PR application is approved,
- we should let IRCC know/update her details online (is this possible?)
- travel to Canada with her (new) US passport
- receive the PR card by mail?

Is the PR card "linked" in some way to a specific passport?

mrsamcan

Star Member
Jun 16, 2019
Thank you! Does this mean if she receives US citizenship first and then our PR application is approved,

Ask in this forum. Such complicated scenarios gets answered here :)

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/thank-you-legalfalcon.408185/page-877#post-9303360

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019

Normally, the COPR (confirmation of permanent residence) is a piece of paper. It seems that since the pandemic started IRCC has been giving out COPR electronically (please double check on that as I'm not sure). In normal times they would likely need to print a COPR indicating her US citizenship and you need to carry that piece of paper to the border.

The PR card does not specifically record any passport number. However, the front side of the PR card does indicate "Nationality" and the back side indicates "COB" (country of birth). When I crossed the land border from the US into Canada, all I showed at the Canadian border was my PR card. They did not ask to see my passport at all.