+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will my TRV be approved?

mashiara

Nov 11, 2018
Hi, I'd like to know the chances of my visa being approved based on the details I'll mention here. My father died suddenly on Nov 8th in Canada and is survived by my mother and two brothers. They're all Canadian citizens while I remained in the Philippines as a Filipino citizen as I was already married and working when they moved to Canada. I want to go to Canada as soon as I could to help my family get my father's affairs settled and plan to stay there until the first week of February.

Here are my details:
- I'm married, but a housewife. My husband will finance my trip and other costs. We have joint bank accounts amounting to about CAD10000, while he also has his own bank accounts with another CAD10000 that I also have access to. We also have two properties under our names and a car under his name. We don't have children and my husband will not be coming with me.
- I have tickets to Singapore for the second week of February that I had purchased way back in July -- would this suffice as enough reason to leave Canada at the end of my proposed stay?
- I'll also include my father's death certificate as soon as the coroner releases it, as well as other pertinent documents required.
- I don't have a ticket yet, as I don't want to waste buying a ticket and getting my visa application rejected. I did mention that I plan to go on the first week of December and stay until the first week of February 2019. I chose the first week of December as I assumed that the visa application process would take at least two to three weeks.

Would these details be sufficient to show that I have very strong ties to the Philippines and plan to come back? Also, is there a chance the application might be fast-tracked due to this unfortunate circumstance?

Edited to add: I will be staying with my family during this time so I won't have any kind of hotel booking. Would I need to provide my family's letter of invitation as well as my husband's letter of support notarized? Can I just provide a letter stating the purpose of my visit (death in the family) for Purpose of Travel?

Thank you.

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi, I'd like to know the chances of my visa being approved based on the details I'll mention here. My father died suddenly on Nov 8th in Canada and is survived by my mother and two brothers. They're all Canadian citizens while I remained in the Philippines as a Filipino citizen as I was already married and working when they moved to Canada. I want to go to Canada as soon as I could to help my family get my father's affairs settled and plan to stay there until the first week of February.

Here are my details:
- I'm married, but a housewife. My husband will finance my trip and other costs. We have joint bank accounts amounting to about CAD10000, while he also has his own bank accounts with another CAD10000 that I also have access to. We also have two properties under our names and a car under his name. We don't have children and my husband will not be coming with me.
- I have tickets to Singapore for the second week of February that I had purchased way back in July -- would this suffice as enough reason to leave Canada at the end of my proposed stay?
- I'll also include my father's death certificate as soon as the coroner releases it, as well as other pertinent documents required.
- I don't have a ticket yet, as I don't want to waste buying a ticket and getting my visa application rejected. I did mention that I plan to go on the first week of December and stay until the first week of February 2019. I chose the first week of December as I assumed that the visa application process would take at least two to three weeks.

Would these details be sufficient to show that I have very strong ties to the Philippines and plan to come back? Also, is there a chance the application might be fast-tracked due to this unfortunate circumstance?

Edited to add: I will be staying with my family during this time so I won't have any kind of hotel booking. Would I need to provide my family's letter of invitation as well as my husband's letter of support notarized? Can I just provide a letter stating the purpose of my visit (death in the family) for Purpose of Travel?

Thank you.
If you’re a housewife without any work or travel history, your chances are pretty slim to be honest.

The Singapore trip isn’t really a good enough tie, not what they are looking for (like I said—job and a history of going back to the Philippines).

It’s right that you shouldn’t buy tickets yet until the visa is granted.

But you never know until you try. I also suggest not mentioning your intention to stay until February.

Reactions: Bryanna

mashiara

Nov 11, 2018
If you’re a housewife without any work or travel history, your chances are pretty slim to be honest.

The Singapore trip isn’t really a good enough tie, not what they are looking for (like I said—job and a history of going back to the Philippines).

It’s right that you shouldn’t buy tickets yet until the visa is granted.

But you never know until you try. I also suggest not mentioning your intention to stay until February.
Thanks. I had assumed I might have a good chance because it was an emergency and I do have properties under my name. I do have work and travel history, but it's been a couple of years since my last employment and I've only ever traveled within Asia.

And thanks for the suggestion about the date. Would it be preferable to state that I'll be staying for four weeks then?

sventhedog

Star Member
Oct 23, 2018
sad to hear about your situation. however, there are other posts here getting visa's refused even as their relative is terminally ill. i'm not trying to scare you but just be aware of this.

usually better to have visa's in other countries and travel history in those countries. but anyway, yes you need to indicate the duration of stay and reason for travel.

the invitation letter is part of the requirements for the visa.

i'm also from the philippines and applying with a target of 1st week of december. i submitted last oct. 26 so that's more than 15 days already. the average processing time right now is 17 days so i suggest you start applying as soon as possible if you plan to go this december. good luck and be strong.

Last edited:

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thanks. I had assumed I might have a good chance because it was an emergency and I do have properties under my name. I do have work and travel history, but it's been a couple of years since my last employment and I've only ever traveled within Asia.

And thanks for the suggestion about the date. Would it be preferable to state that I'll be staying for four weeks then?
There is a recent member here who requested for emergency processing from India also following a relative's death in Canada, and he/she was successful.

Four weeks still suggest not so strong ties--I suggest no more than 3 weeks.
In general, it's less about your reasons to go to Canada than it is your reasons to return to the Philippines. But who knows, you may come across a sympathetic visa officer.

By the way, I regret not mentioning this sooner, but I'm sorry for your loss.

mashiara

Nov 11, 2018
Thank you both for the suggestions! I'm still going through the requirements and forms, but I'll take your advice and go from there. Fingers crossed I get approved.