+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will my PR be revoked? Criminal record abroad

pityman

Mar 22, 2023
I am a PR, while I am totally clean before getting PR, now I am convicted outside Canada by a tax evasion with a fine around CAD 10,000. However, no jail time.
The criminal record is forgetting to file tax return, but with owed tax for 2 years.
I need to stress that I voluntarily disclosed my tax matter to the local authority but no use. This is my first criminal record in my life and I have filed tax return while in Canada for three years out of three years.
I googled it, that tax evasion can be inadmissible for Canada. But I wonder if this refers to the case where tax evasion is so serious that it becomes indictable. In Canada, tax evasion is usually summary offence. Because I voluntarily disclosed my tax matter, in Canada it should be viewed as summary offence where a PR status might not be revoked.
What do you think or suggest? (I am still abroad, not sure if I should go back to Canada due to potential inadmissibilty)

D

Deleted member 1083629

I am a PR, while I am totally clean before getting PR, now I am convicted outside Canada by a tax evasion with a fine around CAD 10,000. However, no jail time.
The criminal record is forgetting to file tax return, but with owed tax for 2 years.
I need to stress that I voluntarily disclosed my tax matter to the local authority but no use. This is my first criminal record in my life and I have filed tax return while in Canada for three years out of three years.
I googled it, that tax evasion can be inadmissible for Canada. But I wonder if this refers to the case where tax evasion is so serious that it becomes indictable. In Canada, tax evasion is usually summary offence. Because I voluntarily disclosed my tax matter, in Canada it should be viewed as summary offence where a PR status might not be revoked.
What do you think or suggest? (I am still abroad, not sure if I should go back to Canada due to potential inadmissibilty)
I am confused. You say that you filed taxes for 3/3 years but the charge is for not filing your taxes when you owe them. The whole situation is bizarre. CRA tries several times to contact you and is ready to work with you if you owe taxes. You also get a message in "MyAccount".

EDIT: I think I understand it now. You were convicted by some other country for tax evasion but you are afraid that it will have affect your PR status in Canada. IMO, you should get a lawyer help. Not many people will be able to give you any advise and even if you get one, acting upon it is extremely dangerous. IMO, it also depends on the country. If it's one of the 5 eyes, then CA will know about it. If it's some other country, there is a huge probability of Canada never learning about it, UNLESS you spent 6 months in that country AFTER your got PR AFTER you landed in Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:

pityman

Mar 22, 2023
I am confused. You say that you filed taxes for 3/3 years but the charge is for not filing your taxes when you owe them. The whole situation is bizarre. CRA tries several times to contact you and is ready to work with you if you owe taxes. You also get a message in "MyAccount".
please read carefully, my conviction was outside Canada. I am working abroad, I have filed return 3/3 years previously in Canada

D

Deleted member 1083629

why "UNLESS you spent 6 months in that country AFTER your got PR AFTER you landed in Canada. " matters?
You will a PCC for citizenship in that case that will show that you have committed a crime

pityman

Mar 22, 2023
You will a PCC for citizenship in that case that will show that you have committed a crime
really thanks for your help and knowledge. However, sometimes I think you would miss other possibility, i.e. I do not intend to apply for citizenship even I qualify.

However, many thanks

D

Deleted member 1083629

However, sometimes I think you would miss other possibility, i.e. I do not intend to apply for citizenship even I qualify.
I mean, sure. I give an advice based on the most common, average applicant. I cannot account for all the edge cases.