+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will my PGWP be denied if I study part-time in the final semester at college and then transfer to university?

nhatnam

Apr 5, 2019
Hello, my situation is: I am about to finish my 2-year diploma in December 2020. I was supposed to graduate after 4 semesters back in April 2020 but I failed a course so I have to retake it in this semester on a part-time basis. The problem is that I also want to transfer to a university starting from January 2021 for another 2 years.

My concern is that when I finish my bachelor at university and apply for a PGWP, assuming that I study full-time on all semesters at uni for the next 2 years, will the part-time semester at college affect my eligibility? Or should I just apply for a PGWP now? Thank you very much!

hodari

Mar 28, 2018
Quebec
You can apply for pgwp once only.

A 2 year course will make you eligible for a 3 year pgwp, so you will be fine when you apply after completing your bachelor's without taking your diploma studies into account.

nhatnam

Apr 5, 2019
You can apply for pgwp once only.

A 2 year course will make you eligible for a 3 year pgwp, so you will be fine when you apply after completing your bachelor's without taking your diploma studies into account.
Thank you, but I want to know if I apply for pgwp only after I obtain my bachelor, will I get denied?
If I apply for pgwp now, I probably will have to go look for a job and not go to uni. 2 years out of 3-year pgwp quota wasted for uni is so risky for me because I will have only 1 year left to look for jobs.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Thank you, but I want to know if I apply for pgwp only after I obtain my bachelor, will I get denied?
If I apply for pgwp now, I probably will have to go look for a job and not go to uni.
IMO if you apply for PGWP now, you have a chance of getting refused due to part time status. Although you have not stated whether you did your part time in your last semester. However, going to university for atleast 2 years will give you 3 year pgwp because essentially you are changing DLIs and starting a new program in the eyes of IRCC (despite you likely transferring credits for advanced standing)

Reactions: hodari

nhatnam

Apr 5, 2019
IMO if you apply for PGWP now, you have a chance of getting refused due to part time status. Although you have not stated whether you did your part time in your last semester. However, going to university for atleast 2 years will give you 3 year pgwp because essentially you are changing DLIs and starting a new program in the eyes of IRCC (despite you likely transferring credits for advanced standing)
yes, I did my final college semester part-time. Thank you so much. What a relief.

Reactions: Impatient Dankaroo

ak10

Nov 16, 2020
Hiii i have a bit of the same problem but I didnt get a doplom or certificate at college and just transferred by credit.
I studied at Langara college for 1.5 years and got 36 credits which I then transferred to UBC. I have been at UBC for 3 years and will be graduating with a degree from UBC at the end of this year. However, while I was at Langara College I studied one semester part-time where I only took 2 courses. But at UBC I maintained full-time studies for 3 years. I was wondering if me doing one semester part-time at Langara College will affect my chances at getting a Post Grad Work Permit?

I would mean SO much if someone could help me out on this situation I have been so stressed about this!!

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hiii i have a bit of the same problem but I didnt get a doplom or certificate at college and just transferred by credit.
I studied at Langara college for 1.5 years and got 36 credits which I then transferred to UBC. I have been at UBC for 3 years and will be graduating with a degree from UBC at the end of this year. However, while I was at Langara College I studied one semester part-time where I only took 2 courses. But at UBC I maintained full-time studies for 3 years. I was wondering if me doing one semester part-time at Langara College will affect my chances at getting a Post Grad Work Permit?

I would mean SO much if someone could help me out on this situation I have been so stressed about this!!
You'll be fine since you've done 3 years of full time at your new DLI.