+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will my child get citizenship/PR if born in India to a Canadian father?

ajaysingh12

Aug 30, 2017
Hello,

I am a Canadian father and born in India. My wife is on PR here. If my wife deliver our child in India, Will my child get citizenship or PR right away? Basically, How long before my child can enter Canada?

My wife would like to deliver our child in India because all of our family is there and there would be more mental support there.

Thank you guys in advance and I appreciate your time.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello,

I am a Canadian father and born in India. My wife is on PR here. If my wife deliver our child in India, Will my child get citizenship or PR right away? Basically, How long before my child can enter Canada?

My wife would like to deliver our child in India because all of our family is there and there would be more mental support there.

Thank you guys in advance and I appreciate your time.
1. Yes the child would get citizenship (assuming that your citizenship was obtained either by birth or naturalization, not descent)
2. You would apply for proof of citizenship once the child is born. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp
3. Processing time is posted as 5 months.

ajaysingh12

Aug 30, 2017
Hi

1. Yes the child would get citizenship (assuming that your citizenship was obtained either by birth or naturalization, not descent)
2. You would apply for proof of citizenship once the child is born. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp
3. Processing time is posted as 5 months.
Thanks a lot for quick reply!
So, I guess I am naturalize citizen then? I came to Canada with my parent(both born in India and immigrated to Canada) when I was 12 years old and became citizen after three years without doing the test as I was still under 18. I am getting confused because I found some rules change in 2009 that state citizen parent must be born in Canada to pass on citizenship.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules_2009.asp

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Thanks a lot for quick reply!
So, I guess I am naturalize citizen then? I came to Canada with my parent(both born in India and immigrated to Canada) when I was 12 years old and became citizen after three years without doing the test as I was still under 18. I am getting confused because I found some rules change in 2009 that state citizen parent must be born in Canada to pass on citizenship.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules_2009.asp
There was a rule change in 2009 but you are safe. If you were either born in Canada (not your case) or naturalized (your case), you count as first generation and therefore your child will be Canadian.

There is only two significant disadvantages if your child is born abroad:
1. as stated above, it takes some months to get proof of citizenship, so your child can't travel to Canada immediately (not that travelling would be good for a new born anyways)
2. your child's children (your grandchildren) will NOT be Canadian if they are born abroad.

Reactions: hanuz06

ajaysingh12

Aug 30, 2017
There was a rule change in 2009 but you are safe. If you were either born in Canada (not your case) or naturalized (your case), you count as first generation and therefore your child will be Canadian.

There is only two significant disadvantages if your child is born abroad:
1. as stated above, it takes some months to get proof of citizenship, so your child can't travel to Canada immediately (not that travelling would be good for a new born anyways)
2. your child's children (your grandchildren) will NOT be Canadian if they are born abroad.
Thanks for noting down the disadvantages.

I am not able to understand 2nd point. Why is that so? Wouldn't my child be naturalized citizen? If he/she is naturalized, then is not it same rule?

ajaysingh12

Aug 30, 2017
Also, Can anyone list other disadvantages? Or, if someone have gone through this process, then how was your experience?

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Thanks for noting down the disadvantages.

I am not able to understand 2nd point. Why is that so? Wouldn't my child be naturalized citizen? If he/she is naturalized, then is not it same rule?
The child you want to be born in India would be considered the first generation born abroad, and would be a Canadian citizen by descent, not by naturalization. Spyfy is just mentioning that if this child were to have children him/herself, then those children would be considered second generation born abroad and would not gain citizenship by descent; these children would have to immigrate to Canada and be naturalized to become citizens.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In other words, the advantage of your child being born in Canada would be that he/she can pass citizenship on to his/her future children (your grandchildren) IF they are born outside of Canada. If they (your grandchildren) are born in Canada, no problem, they will be Canadian. However, in answer to your initial question, yes, your child will be a Canadian citizen, whether born in Canada or outside Canada.

Reactions: blueangel371115

sajc

Star Member
May 9, 2017
.he/she will be become canadian as per your status. As soon as the child is born, get the birth certificate and apply for a temporary passport in New Delhi consulate. you have to take passport photos for the kid ( since they dont hold the head that soon, its fun trying to get the right pic :). ). Once you apply for the childs passport, you should get it pretty soon. I think few weeks. You can give your canadian address to the consulate and they will forward the citizenship certificate to Canada at a later date. Once you get that, you can apply for a proper passport. all the best!. I went in person to delhi to submit the application just to make sure it reaches fast.

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
The child you want to be born in India would be considered the first generation born abroad, and would be a Canadian citizen by descent, not by naturalization. Spyfy is just mentioning that if this child were to have children him/herself, then those children would be considered second generation born abroad and would not gain citizenship by descent; these children would have to immigrate to Canada and be naturalized to become citizens.
Take my case, when I become a Canadian, I will be a 'naturalized' Canadian citizen because my citizenship was not by birth (in Canada) or descent. I was a PR first. My oldest son has it through descent ( his father is a Canadian citizen by birth). He didn't go through the naturalization process. He wasn't a PR, I just applied for his citizenship once I had his US passport. His citizenship certificate has his birth date as the day he gained citizenship. But if his children are born outside Canada, they won't get it. I hope this helps.

angelspar

Feb 13, 2019
.he/she will be become canadian as per your status. As soon as the child is born, get the birth certificate and apply for a temporary passport in New Delhi consulate. you have to take passport photos for the kid ( since they dont hold the head that soon, its fun trying to get the right pic :). ). Once you apply for the childs passport, you should get it pretty soon. I think few weeks. You can give your canadian address to the consulate and they will forward the citizenship certificate to Canada at a later date. Once you get that, you can apply for a proper passport. all the best!. I went in person to delhi to submit the application just to make sure it reaches fast.

how do they give canadian passport without citizenship certificate? Please advise.

sajc

Star Member
May 9, 2017
Just take birth certificate and your passport to canadian highcommission and they will give a temporary passport to travel to canada And once you get your certificate, submit to get a new normal passport.

angelspar

Feb 13, 2019
Just take birth certificate and your passport to canadian highcommission and they will give a temporary passport to travel to canada And once you get your certificate, submit to get a new normal passport.
Thank you for your reply!! :)

Coskunjoe

Jul 12, 2019
I am Canadian Citizen and my family (My wife and 2 children) is in Turkey now. I applied for a family sponsorship, so they will get a PR. But I found out my kids are ellligible to be Canadian. Does this stops to my kids getting PR and come to Canada without Canadian passport? Application was approved here in Canada and sent to Turkey ( Canadian Embassy) for further process.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
I am Canadian Citizen and my family (My wife and 2 children) is in Turkey now. I applied for a family sponsorship, so they will get a PR. But I found out my kids are ellligible to be Canadian. Does this stops to my kids getting PR and come to Canada without Canadian passport? Application was approved here in Canada and sent to Turkey ( Canadian Embassy) for further process.
If your children were born after you are Canadian (assuming naturalized or born in Canada), then your children are Canadian by Descent. They will not be able to get PR. You would have to apply for proof of citizenship for your children so that they can get Canadian citizenship certificate. Once they get their certificates, then they can apply for Canadian Passport.

Reactions: 21Goose